Keven Veilleux - resigned. Is he the winger for the SID

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Keven Veilleux - resigned. Is he the winger for the SID

Postby steelhammer on Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:18 pm

KG wrote:
Puffymuffin wrote:Maybe he can develop into a sort of new Mike Rupp, enforcer who can play a bit, loves to fight anyway.

Good point. You can't teach size as they say. Maybe the Pens can groom him into a 4th line grinder/fighter ala Rupp?

It actually seems like he took the initiative to groom himself into that mold. Wouldn't mind having someone with hands as slick as his on a 4th line role. Those are the players who can end up flying under the radar and score key goals in the playoffs (not just saying that because of the Rupp comparison).
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Corvidae on Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:19 pm

Ah yes, the yearly Keven Veilleux thread. I was hoping they wouldn't qualify him so we wouldn't have to go through this again.

He's not even good enough to be a winger for Vitale and high-end potential is to be on IR for Wilkes-Barre.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Nizzy on Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:24 pm

If I can say one thing about him....

When I saw him in camp I believe 2 years ago, if you were just some random person watching and had to answer the question "who do you think is the best?" You would think Veilleux was the next NHL superstar. He can stand out that much.

Just cant keep it together.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:31 pm

wouldn't that put a twist in other teams panties...
I wish him good health and a November call up to the NHL.
I'm happy Carl Sneep is signed also.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Corvidae on Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:33 pm

penny lane wrote:wouldn't that put a twist in other teams panties...

Holy crap are we in trouble if Veilleux ever sees an NHL game. I remember saying the same thing about Sneep and we did see him were in trouble.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:38 pm

Corvidae wrote:
penny lane wrote:wouldn't that put a twist in other teams panties...

Holy crap are we in trouble if Veilleux ever sees an NHL game. I remember saying the same thing about Sneep and we did see him were in trouble.

au contraire~ the game sneep played was against buffalo in december... Evgeni had 4 or 5 points.
:D
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Corvidae on Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:42 pm

penny lane wrote:
Corvidae wrote:Holy crap are we in trouble if Veilleux ever sees an NHL game. I remember saying the same thing about Sneep and we did see him were in trouble.

au contraire~ the game sneep played was against buffalo in december... Evgeni had 4 or 5 points.
:D

We were missing like 40 defensemen though. That's the kind of trouble I mean. If Kevin Veilleux gets a call up, the Pens and Baby Pens must have multiple strains of mutated swine flu circulating and he is only healthy because another prior injury has kept him away from the locker room.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:03 pm

^ that scenario could happen to these penguins... they've had year of: high ankle sprains & concussions 8-) :P I get it... Veilleux needs oddles of good vibes...get rid of his perpetual dark cloud.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby drtofu66 on Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:04 pm

Penspal wrote:It explains a lot, but how do you know its true? I'm not hear to bash Olia (your english is fine), but 31 posts do not make you an ideal LGP source 8-)
Many people have overcome the alchol demons, and I can't imagine they would still be with him as a pro in the Pens system. Any bubble player who shows those types of problems would not be offered another 1 year contract, n'est pas?

I gues I should have said "That WOULD explain a lot." It may not be true, but I tend to believe it in this instance. Just MHO. I think Shero would have stayed away from him had he known; he either didn't know or KV didn't have the problem until later. Veilleux didn't get traded to Rimouski until after he was drafted.

And no-- I would fully expect a talented young athlete in any sport to be given multiple chances with any number of teams depending on the circumstances (just how talented he is, how much it would cost to re-sign him, how poorly the GM would be viewed if the kid overcame his difficulties and signed with another team only to flourish, etc...). See "Tibbetts, Billy" for proof.
drtofu66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby oliasphodel on Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:52 am

drtofu66 wrote:
Penspal wrote:It explains a lot, but how do you know its true? I'm not hear to bash Olia (your english is fine), but 31 posts do not make you an ideal LGP source 8-)
Many people have overcome the alchol demons, and I can't imagine they would still be with him as a pro in the Pens system. Any bubble player who shows those types of problems would not be offered another 1 year contract, n'est pas?

I gues I should have said "That WOULD explain a lot." It may not be true, but I tend to believe it in this instance. Just MHO. I think Shero would have stayed away from him had he known; he either didn't know or KV didn't have the problem until later. Veilleux didn't get traded to Rimouski until after he was drafted.

And no-- I would fully expect a talented young athlete in any sport to be given multiple chances with any number of teams depending on the circumstances (just how talented he is, how much it would cost to re-sign him, how poorly the GM would be viewed if the kid overcame his difficulties and signed with another team only to flourish, etc...). See "Tibbetts, Billy" for proof.

Penguins knew about his problem since his junior with Victoriaville. Half of the team in Rimouski and staff couldn't stand him.

Maybe the pens thought they could change him. He has a real talent, I think it's a waste.
oliasphodel
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Penspal on Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:00 am

oliasphodel wrote:
drtofu66 wrote:

Penguins knew about his problem since his junior with Victoriaville. Half of the team in Rimouski and staff couldn't stand him.

Maybe the pens thought they could change him. He has a real talent, I think it's a waste.

All reports of his early pro days were that his effort was inconsistent, he didn't use his big frame, etc etc.

Apparently, KV has listened and learned from his time in the AHL (while not injured) and has improved in most facets of his game. For those who are surprised that he now fights, check out his fights online. Perhaps Big Mac will help him refine his pugilistic skills. But while he was previously a disliked, brash, cocky, youthful drunkard, let's hop that those days are past him and he comes out and helps the Pittsburgh Penguins.

I'm more along the lines of Penny on this one, why must we climb onto his back and continue to degrade him? Do we not have faith in GMRS?
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:52 pm

FWIW, Veilleux is in town working out with some of the staff. I saw him on the ice before the prospects started this morning.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby neophool on Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:57 pm

pulling for the kid, but he is running out of time.
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:59 am

Corvidae wrote:Ah yes, the yearly Keven Veilleux thread. I was hoping they wouldn't qualify him so we wouldn't have to go through this again.

He's not even good enough to be a winger for Vitale and high-end potential is to be on IR for Wilkes-Barre.

This is the first Veilleux thread since 2009. What are you talking about? Based on your comments on him, you haven't even read a camp day report on him, much less watched him on the ice.

I don't understand the condescending tone from the forum's jester unless this is a joke.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Defence21 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:18 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
Corvidae wrote:Ah yes, the yearly Keven Veilleux thread. I was hoping they wouldn't qualify him so we wouldn't have to go through this again.

This is the first Veilleux thread since 2009. What are you talking about? Based on your comments on him, you haven't even read a camp day report on him, much less watched him on the ice.

I don't understand the condescending tone from the forum's jester unless this is a joke.

Yeah, not sure why anyone would be hoping for him to fail. By all accounts, he has been a solid citizen in WBS and has worked to evolve his game to include elements that weren't once there (more physicality, fighting, etc), to make himself more qualified for an NHL role. We're talking about a 23 year old, here. He's younger than Tangradi. Younger than Malone was when he made his NHL debut. This isn't a 27 or 28 year old over-ager. This is a young, developing player who has had injury issues in the past -- but who has also shown improvement in his game. I, for one, will be thrilled if he has a strong camp and plays his way onto the NHL roster, though I realize this is a long-shot. That being said, what's so bad about letting him continue to develop int he AHL with hopes of grooming that Mike Rupp-type player?
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meow on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:59 am

Because it isn't cool to root for a player to make it. Don't you guys know that?
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:03 am

I don't follow WBS and am lucky to catch a couple pre-season games on the toobz....why are people down on Veilleux?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:15 am

Can't stay healthy to save his life, even dating back to his days in the Q. Also, even though he's tall, most of his strength is in his upper body, not lower body (sorta has chicken legs for his size), which isn't ideal for using his size to his advantage in the NHL.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:17 am

Thanks
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:50 am

Penspal wrote:Apparently, KV has listened and learned from his time in the AHL (while not injured) and has improved in most facets of his game. For those who are surprised that he now fights, check out his fights online. Perhaps Big Mac will help him refine his pugilistic skills. But while he was previously a disliked, brash, cocky, youthful drunkard, let's hop that those days are past him and he comes out and helps the Pittsburgh Penguins.

So he is the Laflamme character from goon? And Big Mac is Glaat? Awesome.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:16 pm

meecrofilm wrote:Also, even though he's tall, most of his strength is in his upper body, not lower body (sorta has chicken legs for his size), which isn't ideal for using his size to his advantage in the NHL.

Am I reading a report on Evgeni Malkin? His legs are skinnier than mine. I'm not sure if thats even an exaggeration.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:46 pm

It's just the way he's built. You look at Malkin and he's a fairly well-proportioned guy. Veilleux looks (and plays) extremely top-heavy.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sil on Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:52 pm

meecrofilm wrote:Veilleux looks (and plays) extremely top-heavy.

Hmmm, I can't help but picture this...

sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:24 pm

:lol: Any video of that game in action gets me everytime.

I like this one too, because of the inspirational music. And the video description of "witness the intense 100m sprint." Too good.

For the record, I got to 100m before. Dragged a marker with me for about 50m, but I don't care.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby WWGRD on Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:18 pm

Penspal wrote:Okay, its a stretch. KV is 6'5 and got some decent hands and fought 11 times last year. KV was trying to show more and from what I just saw on hockeyfights.com, he did pretty damn well in his first year of pro fighting.

The rap against KV has been his skating, frequent injuries, and overall inconsistency. I've watched enough highlights with the commentary to know he no longer surprises fans or announcers when he makes nice plays/goals, but they do not come as often as they should be. So with a new 1 yr deal, its his last chance. I'd rather have Doan, but I hope HCDB does give KV a shot as his winger in camp. A big body in front, and a guy who can jump anyone who crosses the line with SID.

Well you're right mostly. He definitely has above average hands for a guy his size (6'5, 220+). He's unstoppable in the shootout. And he has a very impressive year fighting wise in the AHL, as he beat down guys who have been doing it at the pro level for a while.

If he puts together a healthy year in WBS, he'll definitely make the team as the 12th/13th forward the following year.
I'm in the minority here, but I'm also one of the only ones who's watched every single one of his games in Wilkes-Barre.

He shouldn't be confused as a top-6 NHL'er or Crosby's winger for that matter, however
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins