Lockout

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Lockout

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:44 am

Sources saying open ended, bold but not really bold, premature, misleading predictions with backdoor escape clauses? Smells like free agency all over again.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:21 am

bleacher report defending is the new eklund defending
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ffemtreed on Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:40 am

The scarey part about this is how quickly it became public. That to me is a key of a breakdown in negotiations when one side goes public.

you can argue that its only a starting point and normal, but starting points usually get hashed out in the room before one side makes a proposal like that. This seems to be the owners strongarming the union and putting them on defense.

i still say there is a reason why the players went and got Fehr and its not good for the fans and it won't be good for anyone in the long run.

I do think the owners have got a lot of legitimate concerns, mainly the lack of a second contract for players and also teams having trouble getting to the floor of the cap and having to overpay players then having those overpaid players used as examples as to what other players are worth.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:12 pm

All the owners want is decrease the players revenue and lowering the cap floor a few million. Honestly that is all the owners want, the rest is the fun stuff they would like to have. If the current CBA was be offered by the players with 53% revenue and a cap floor decreased 5 million i think the owners would accept that.

Its also rumored the player might be willing to play under the current CBA next season and negotiate in good faith until a new deal is struck.

That would be sweet so we could get a new deal worked out for Evgeny under the last CBA rules.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mongoose87 on Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:23 pm

Didn't the owners opt to cancel the CBA? Or am I confusing it with the NFL?
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby newarenanow on Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:37 pm

Mongoose87 wrote:Didn't the owners opt to cancel the CBA? Or am I confusing it with the NFL?

That was the NFL.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BigMcK on Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:46 pm

ffemtreed wrote:The scarey part about this is how quickly it became public. That to me is a key of a breakdown in negotiations when one side goes public.

you can argue that its only a starting point and normal, but starting points usually get hashed out in the room before one side makes a proposal like that. This seems to be the owners strongarming the union and putting them on defense.

i still say there is a reason why the players went and got Fehr and its not good for the fans and it won't be good for anyone in the long run.

I do think the owners have got a lot of legitimate concerns, mainly the lack of a second contract for players and also teams having trouble getting to the floor of the cap and having to overpay players then having those overpaid players used as examples as to what other players are worth.

Making it public seems like a great bargaining tool for both sides. Trying to get sympathy for the owners is a hard sell, but so is trying to get sympathy for millionaire players that have artificially inflated salaries, as you point out. It's a good test to see what side the paying fan falls on.

Fehr hopefully has enough common sense to realize the NHL is not like the MLB in terms a fan base when he brings his negotiating skills to the table. I also think the players brought him in because he can help them maneuver through the process and not allow them to get burned.
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:09 pm

I like that they start negotiating a full three months before the season is supposed to start.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:43 pm

Gaucho wrote:I like that they start negotiating a full three months before the season is supposed to start.

10-page paper is assigned to you on January 3rd and it's not due until June 12th...when is it getting done?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bioshock on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:48 pm

mikey287 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:I like that they start negotiating a full three months before the season is supposed to start.

10-page paper is assigned to you on January 3rd and it's not due until June 12th...when is it getting done?

Well, i'm kinda OCD and love progress so it would probably be done before February.

Wait, what about hockey again?
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:00 pm

Bioshock wrote:
mikey287 wrote:

Well, i'm kinda OCD and love progress so it would probably be done before February.

Mine would be started on June 12th (ya know, after midnight)...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bioshock on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:44 pm

mikey287 wrote:
Bioshock wrote:
mikey287 wrote:

Mine would be started on June 12th (ya know, after midnight)...

You're crazy! CRAZY!!!!
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:06 pm

I don't know, but if I had oh I guess 10 million fans crying about me not doing my homework, perhaps I would get it done ASAP.

But that isn't really applicable with this because the owners and the players are pretty much only out for themselves. And hopefully the fans don't get the shaft, again.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:03 pm

mikey287 wrote:

I'd start it at 8 or 9 the night before it was due.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:18 am

FallenHero96 wrote:I don't know, but if I had oh I guess 10 million fans crying about me not doing my homework, perhaps I would get it done ASAP.

But that isn't really applicable with this because the owners and the players are pretty much only out for themselves. And hopefully the fans don't get the shaft, again.

This is ASAP. This is something you do during the season. The offseason has calmed down and now they're getting to work.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:13 am

MRandall25 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:

I'd start it at 8 or 9 the night before it was due.

I would have it done in February.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Godric on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:27 am

Back when "I was proving I was bad...." ( :rolleyes: )

I fabricated my entire 125 hour senior project the day I had to turn it in and got an 90-something percent
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby no name on Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:45 am

Lets not all of us get in a hub-bub, lets wait and hear the players counter proposal... Then you can see where the sides have to meet. The players proposal is going to seem equally outrageous when they ask for 25 yrs old UFA, and a increase in the revenue to 60% and things like that. It was only right for the owners to come out swinging. Now when the players come out asking for more the owners will suddenly not look as bad.

One thing about the last CBA is the players were divided and some of them just wanted to play and would of signed anything. Fehr just wants to keep the group together.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mongoose87 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:21 pm

In Freshman year I negotiated an entire NHL CBA in the three hours between my first class and the class it was due for.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:23 pm

I'd probably drop the class and just do the paper next year.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Noise on Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:09 pm

What a nerve-wracking summer. Parise/Suter, Doan, Weber, CBA. . . . gah!!!
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:32 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I'd probably drop the class and just do the paper next year.

Got you all beat, befor my group had to give a presentation on divorce, i didn't do my part when we were called up on. As the other members gave their speech my friend gave me the form to file for divorce (and said this way you have something). As he was doing his part i looked over the page made a few mental notes. I got up presented the page gave my notes and on the chalk board i wrote expamples then made up the court procedure as to how to get a divorce. Got like a 95 on it. The girl in my gorup was so mad i got a better grade than her told the teacher i never did anything and did the whole thing in 5 minutes and should be given a incomplete.

The teacher said, i don't believe anyone could make that up on the spot and if he did then i should give him a %100.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Factorial on Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:11 pm

NHL owners need to pony up to the poorer teams like they do in the NFL and (even) the MLB.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... le4451062/

What side are the Pens on in this battle? If the Pens don't stick up for the have nots then I will be very disappointed in Lemieux/Burkel.

The story also notes that the Islanders are not eligible for revenue sharing because the market is too large.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:19 pm

Didn't read the article, but no team can receive revenue sharing in a market of 2.5 million or more television households or something like that...also, there are attendance figures that need to be met as well.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:21 pm

I don't want to confound the issue (because there are numerous reasons for the financial success/health of the NFL), but I do agree that the revenue sharing model is significant for their success and competitive balance.

I'd also like to see more of it in the NHL.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins