Lockout

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Lockout

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:52 pm

Revenue sharing is simpler in the NFL because each team starts of with a check for $125 million. While bigger market teams probably kick in a big check to the pot, its not a high % of revenue. NFL teams in good markets make money on so many levels. The Giants or Cowboys kicking in say $20 million is not a huge chunk of their revenues and they can do it easily.

I imagine a few NHL teams putting even $5 million into the pot but would be a huge deal.

I do agree though that revenue sharing is key to competitive balance. I think if the NHL just lowered the % of money to the players and somehow worked that into a lower cap ceiling (closing the ceiling/floor gap) and giving the smaller market teams just a bit bigger of a revenue sharing taste it would do wonders.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:03 am

Евгений Малкин ‏@malkin71_
great @NHLPA meeting with Don Fehr in Moscow.Good that he comes here to update us. #theplayers #nhlpa2012

I think Sergei was part of the Russian players, with Evgeni who met with Fehr.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:53 am

penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pressure=9Pa on Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:58 am

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:Revenue sharing is simpler in the NFL because each team starts of with a check for $125 million. While bigger market teams probably kick in a big check to the pot, its not a high % of revenue. NFL teams in good markets make money on so many levels. The Giants or Cowboys kicking in say $20 million is not a huge chunk of their revenues and they can do it easily.

I imagine a few NHL teams putting even $5 million into the pot but would be a huge deal.

I do agree though that revenue sharing is key to competitive balance. I think if the NHL just lowered the % of money to the players and somehow worked that into a lower cap ceiling (closing the ceiling/floor gap) and giving the smaller market teams just a bit bigger of a revenue sharing taste it would do wonders.

The biggest difference between the NFL and all other sports is that by playing one game a week, almost all of their TV money is on a League-wide contract. In all other sports, the League-wide deals are smaller than what most teams achieve individually. It's simply a lot easier to divide up "our money" than it is "my money".
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Antonio on Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:25 pm

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/82521 ... -cba-talks

Lockout coming......barring a miracle of course. All the children can't stop fighting over their massive massive pie.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Godric on Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:32 pm

**** idiots
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby columbia on Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:34 pm

On the bright side, my Center Ice bill will go down or disappear this season.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:42 pm

There's still time to get a deal done. It doesn't look good, but it's not official yet.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:02 pm

Still not very concerned...not yet at least...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby darkstar57 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:04 pm

While i do think a lockout happens, i don't think the season is in jeopardy, camps will probably be shorten, shorter preseason, etc.

I wouldn't mind seeing sid organize team workouts (ala the NFL lockout last year) and get the guys on the ice and skating and being a team if we do miss parts of camp
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby DelPen on Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:05 pm

I'd laugh if they lower the cap and teams need to buy out players at full price to not have it count against future caps.

I'm also hoping to see a Wade Redden Rule, some of that contract should be counted towards the Rags Cap, not hidden in the AHL.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:06 pm

This time, the owners need to make the concessions. we'll see.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:11 pm

I'm hoping the NHL penalizes the Flyers for that Pronger contract.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:14 pm

MRandall25 wrote:I'm hoping the NHL penalizes the Flyers for that Pronger contract.

I don't see how the NHL can force a major cap downturn and not deal with the "hidden" contracts at the same time.
If their goal is to limit expenditures, the loopholes for bad contracts have to be addressed...it's in their interest, in the long run.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby mikey287 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:31 pm

DelPen wrote:I'd laugh if they lower the cap and teams need to buy out players at full price to not have it count against future caps.

I'm also hoping to see a Wade Redden Rule, some of that contract should be counted towards the Rags Cap, not hidden in the AHL.

Multiple solutions that could benefit both sides:

- All one-way contracts that are sent to the minors are subject to a 50/50 split (as with re-entry waivers). Any player on a one-way that's sent down could be claimed and the remainder of the salary and cap hit is split between the two clubs.

- Any "big market" team that stashes a player like Redden in the minors must contribute half of his remaining contract into the revenue sharing pot. i.e. if the Penguins sent down Paul Martin with 3 years, $15 million left on his contract. The Penguins are to pay $7.5 million over three years into the revenue sharing pool for the lowest-third teams, or lowest-half teams.

Many other solutions available, it's just a matter of what's agreeable to both parties...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:55 am

5 weeks doesn't sound like enough time to work out all the big ticket items. Even when thoes items are done it takes weeks to iron out the wrinkles and dot it i's and cross the t's. I will be really intrested to hear the players counter offer to see how far they really are off.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Guinness on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:57 am

no name wrote:5 weeks doesn't sound like enough time to work out all the big ticket items. Even when thoes items are done it takes weeks to iron out the wrinkles and dot it i's and cross the t's. I will be really intrested to hear the players counter offer to see how far they really are off.

True, but if they have a deal in principle, I can see the owners allowing camp/pre-/season to proceed while those details are worked out.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:06 pm

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice
RT @walsha: The average NHL ticket price has increased 39% since 2004 when Gary Bettman promised fans a salary cap would lower ticket prices

profits rising, ticket prices rising...player salaries rising
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:31 pm

penny lane wrote:
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice
RT @walsha: The average NHL ticket price has increased 39% since 2004 when Gary Bettman promised fans a salary cap would lower ticket prices

profits rising, ticket prices rising...player salaries rising

how does this compare to the inflation rate since 2004
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:34 pm

A dollar in 2004 is worth about $1.19 now
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:59 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:A dollar in 2004 is worth about $1.19 now.

I think you've got it backwards. The dollar is not worth more, but less. What you probably mean is that it takes $1.19 to buy what $1.00 bought in '04, which would mean that the dollar is worth LESS now than in '04.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Factorial on Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:17 am

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:A dollar in 2004 is worth about $1.19 now.

I think you've got it backwards. The dollar is not worth more, but less. What you probably mean is that it takes $1.19 to buy what $1.00 bought in '04, which would mean that the dollar is worth LESS now than in '04.

BEPF

Yep. The trick to beating it, or at least minimizing it, is to change your market basket wherever possible.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Guinness on Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:43 am

:pop:
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:16 am

I think if/when they redo contracts, keep contracts the same, just don't allow the lowest value year of the contract to be less than 50% of the highest value year of the contract.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:07 am

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... witterfeed

sid with others at the nhlpa meeting.

penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins