Lockout

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Lockout

Postby JS© on Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:25 pm

Image
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,938
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:52 am
Location: Trying to avoid the mumps.

Re: Lockout

Postby pens_CT on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:44 pm

Old Don's latest letter to the players doesn't sound very optimistic at all. Wouldn't be suprised if talks break off sooner rather than later.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=409136
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,713
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Lockout

Postby SolidSnake on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:49 pm

We are destined to do this forever

Image
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,496
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:41 pm
Location: Why the hell are you dressed like a chicken?

Re: Lockout

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:53 pm

There is no person in the sports world that I hate more than Don Fehr.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,844
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:31 am
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: Lockout

Postby pens_CT on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:59 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:There is no person in the sports world that I hate more than Don Fehr.

If the players want to play this season, then they need to start pushing Fehr to make a deal. Fehr left on his own will not compromise and this will easily drag into next summer.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,713
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Lockout

Postby penny lane on Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:27 pm

if the pens stay out through december, i'll be able to buy better gifts! $$$ in my pocket is better than bettman's , et al. :D
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 29,060
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:29 pm
Location: Have fun, kick butt!

Re: Lockout

Postby no name on Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:45 pm

Oh well looks like no hockey this year. I can't believe Fehr is willing to risk these players losing a whole year of salary. Seems to me the salary they lose individually doesn't add up to what each player would lose over the course of the year.

I really wonder where these negotiations would be now if Fehr didn't start negotiating one month befor the season.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,288
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:19 pm

Re: Lockout

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:52 pm

Let's wait and see what happens today before we get all emo and :scared:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,520
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Lockout

Postby newarenanow on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:05 pm

pens_CT wrote:Old Don's latest letter to the players doesn't sound very optimistic at all. Wouldn't be suprised if talks break off sooner rather than later.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=409136


His job is to get the best available CBA for the players, and the best way to keep the players united is to push some buttons and not make everything seem so rosey. I'm sure there is still a ton of work to do, and I still don't expect a CBA signed until mid December at the earliest, but I think Fehr is doing what he does best.

And just from all reports I've heard, the league seems more eager to start the season due to pressure from some owners, sponsors, and even the TV networks. So that gives the player union leverage.

Fehr is just pushing to keep the union united and fired up because they believe the league will cave on some thing.s

IMO, it sucks, but he is doing his job.

To me though, if this isn't fixed at a league level (not saying players should get some concessions), and a CBA is signed where the league will still unhealthy at the bottom, we will be going through this all over again 7 or 8 years from now. This is the time to get it right. I hope the league hangs in there.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,788
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:56 pm

Re: Lockout

Postby DelPen on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:01 pm

The only fix I see needed is the cap went up way too high too fast carrying the floor with it.

Some teams are just in abd markets and have idiots running them. The only well run team in a sub-par market is Nashville. The Isles misfortunes are their own doing, great market, horrendous managament and ownership.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,905
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Lockout

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:04 pm

newarenanow wrote:His job is to get the best available CBA for the players.


A lot of poeple say that, but I don't think that should be his only objective. If half the league goes broke or there ceases to be any meaningful competition, then that isn't good for anyone, including the players. I don't watch baseball at all, but many say that league is ruined. He has to keep it under consideration. Or maybe he really doesn't care what happens to our sport, other than just getting a good deal for the players.

I would insist the league goes away with the 28 age for FA and 5 year contract limits. That's too strict.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,283
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:49 pm

Re: Lockout

Postby newarenanow on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:11 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
newarenanow wrote:His job is to get the best available CBA for the players.


A lot of poeple say that, but I don't think that should be his only objective. If half the league goes broke or there ceases to be any meaningful competition, then that isn't good for anyone, including the players. I don't watch baseball at all, but many say that league is ruined. He has to keep it under consideration. Or maybe he really doesn't care what happens to our sport, other than just getting a good deal for the players.

I would insist the league goes away with the 28 age for FA and 5 year contract limits. That's too strict.


I think he is trying to push the onus back on the league to fix that via a better revenue sharing model.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,788
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:56 pm

Re: Lockout

Postby pens_CT on Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:09 pm

newarenanow wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:
newarenanow wrote:His job is to get the best available CBA for the players.


A lot of poeple say that, but I don't think that should be his only objective. If half the league goes broke or there ceases to be any meaningful competition, then that isn't good for anyone, including the players. I don't watch baseball at all, but many say that league is ruined. He has to keep it under consideration. Or maybe he really doesn't care what happens to our sport, other than just getting a good deal for the players.

I would insist the league goes away with the 28 age for FA and 5 year contract limits. That's too strict.


I think he is trying to push the onus back on the league to fix that via a better revenue sharing model.

Problem is there are only five teams making a real profit. Good luck in trying to bleed more money from those five teams.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,713
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Lockout

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:20 pm

pens_CT wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:
newarenanow wrote:His job is to get the best available CBA for the players.


A lot of poeple say that, but I don't think that should be his only objective. If half the league goes broke or there ceases to be any meaningful competition, then that isn't good for anyone, including the players. I don't watch baseball at all, but many say that league is ruined. He has to keep it under consideration. Or maybe he really doesn't care what happens to our sport, other than just getting a good deal for the players.

I would insist the league goes away with the 28 age for FA and 5 year contract limits. That's too strict.


I think he is trying to push the onus back on the league to fix that via a better revenue sharing model.

Problem is there are only five teams making a real profit. Good luck in trying to bleed more money from those five teams.


That's not taking into account what they'll be making after the HRR split gets to 50/50
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,520
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Lockout

Postby Gaucho on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:09 pm

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris
The NHLPA is having a conference call with its executive committee and negotiating committee tonight.

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris
Donald Fehr says the NHLPA "has some things to consider."

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris
There's a chance CBA talks resume again tonight.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,771
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:22 am
Location: Ignoranti

Re: Lockout

Postby offsides on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:13 pm

Gaucho wrote:Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris
The NHLPA is having a conference call with its executive committee and negotiating committee tonight.

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris
Donald Fehr says the NHLPA "has some things to consider."

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris
There's a chance CBA talks resume again tonight.


Could be getting close????................I hope.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,552
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:48 pm
Location: Man Cave in Washington, PA

Re: Lockout

Postby Gaucho on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:23 pm

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Right now plan is for NHL and NHLPA not to meet again tonight, but perhaps reconvene tomorrow. However, told that could possibly change


Not sure what means. Change as in they'll meet again tonight or as in no meeting at all?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,771
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:22 am
Location: Ignoranti

Re: Lockout

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:23 pm

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Right now plan is for NHL and NHLPA not to meet again tonight, but perhaps reconvene tomorrow. However, told that could possibly change

I wouldn't really read into anything right now, because everyone is saying something different. Some are going the gloom and doom route, others are just reporting the facts.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,520
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Lockout

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:24 pm

Gaucho wrote:Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Right now plan is for NHL and NHLPA not to meet again tonight, but perhaps reconvene tomorrow. However, told that could possibly change


Not sure what means. Change as in they'll meet again tonight or as in no meeting at all?


Change as in "I've been told something. I don't know what is happening 100%, so I'm going to cover my ass."
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,520
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Lockout

Postby Gaucho on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:25 pm

:thumb:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,771
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:22 am
Location: Ignoranti

Re: Lockout

Postby westside on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:26 pm

Yeah I've been surprised at all the negative stories on the meetings. I'm not saying a deal is eminent but the fact they continue to meet and are not playing the PR game is a step in the right direction at least.
westside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,230
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:13 am
Location: South City, CA

Re: Lockout

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:27 pm

Better than that Russo guy from Minnesota who thinks everything that's happening is bad and no good can come out of anything, then claims "sources" say nothing is going well, even though he's the only one getting these "sources"...

Seriously, he looks like the only person covering this who "knows" how talks went before anyone says anything. Much more inclined to believe someone who doesn't write for a local paper.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,520
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Lockout

Postby Gaucho on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:33 pm

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Source from talks says no real progress today...
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,771
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:22 am
Location: Ignoranti

Re: Lockout

Postby Gaucho on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:33 pm

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris
Gary Bettman says NHL is waiting to hear from union on when talks will resume.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,771
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:22 am
Location: Ignoranti

Re: Lockout

Postby Gaucho on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:39 pm

Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib
Sources: #NHL perplexed #NHLPA did not inform players they are willing to go 50/50 and "Make Whole" every cent + interest by Year 3
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,771
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:22 am
Location: Ignoranti

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Desiato and 6 guests


e-mail