Lockout

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Lockout

Postby meow on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:53 pm

no name wrote:
meow wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
meow wrote:He certainly fits the role better.

in that staal is better than a 3rd liner and sutter is worse than staal - then yes

In the sense that Sutter is more the protypical 3rd line center and Staal is better suited for second line duties.

The only difference in Staal and Sutter is a little offence. Sutter is a defenisve standout just not the hands Staal has. But concider a 2 mill. price tag to Staals 6 million offer Shero gave him... Well honestly i think that money is better spent on a winger for Sid.

But good luck to Staal in Carolina, I can see them winning their division, or if realignemnt happens they will atleast make the playoffs.

Ya lost me at Staal has better hands.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:54 pm

I thought the point of mediation was to bring sides that were very far apart together. Only 2 days and they walk away? Situation must be iincredibly bleak.
llipgh2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby meow on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:00 pm

llipgh2 wrote:I thought the point of mediation was to bring sides that were very far apart together. Only 2 days and they walk away? Situation must be iincredibly bleak.

I think you have to have a genuine belief that a compromise can be reached for mediation to have any positive influence. This is very telling that they closed that door after two days.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:19 pm

no name wrote:The only difference in Staal and Sutter is a little offence. Sutter is a defenisve standout just not the hands Staal has. But concider a 2 mill. price tag to Staals 6 million offer Shero gave him... Well honestly i think that money is better spent on a winger for Sid.

just "a little" offense?

eeehhhhhh
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:38 pm

shmenguin wrote:
no name wrote:The only difference in Staal and Sutter is a little offence. Sutter is a defenisve standout just not the hands Staal has. But concider a 2 mill. price tag to Staals 6 million offer Shero gave him... Well honestly i think that money is better spent on a winger for Sid.

just "a little" offense?

eeehhhhhh

I think you are going to be surprised at how talented Sutter is offensively. He's no slouch.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby offsides on Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:15 pm

meow wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

just "a little" offense?

eeehhhhhh

I think you are going to be surprised at how talented Sutter is offensively. He's no slouch.

And just when will we find out about this? The way things are going, we may never find out.
offsides
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Froggy on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:41 am

i think people are undervaluing staal's offensive contributions... especially considering he wasn't on a primary scoring line, and didnt see much pp time
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Godric on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:17 am

Froggy wrote:i think people are undervaluing staal's offensive contributions... especially considering he wasn't on a primary scoring line, and didnt see much pp time

Every once in a while he would show up to a game sober.... and in that game he could actually stick handle like a bonafide NHLer and release his shot like a star but most of the time it was pretty: "have another beer jordan"
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:55 am

lolwut
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Godric on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:52 am

MRandall25 wrote:lolwut

Ask Rocco, Jordan is an alcoholic :pop:
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:52 am

meow wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:I thought the point of mediation was to bring sides that were very far apart together. Only 2 days and they walk away? Situation must be iincredibly bleak.

I think you have to have a genuine belief that a compromise can be reached for mediation to have any positive influence. This is very telling that they closed that door after two days.

Im sure things are bad, but the plan was always for mediation to start at 2 days. They said they would keep in touch and return when appropriate. At least somethi came out of it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:29 am

I doubt a U.S. Federal professional negotiator would be too keen on negotiating with a terrorist...not in the handbook...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:11 am

Yesterday when the mediator said they couldn't help, ti was the first time I truly felt there may not be a season this year.

Up until that point, I always just figured they'd play hardball until about mid December and then get somethign done.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PghSkins on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:29 am

BOGO shirts at both PensGear locations.

I got their free one right here.
PghSkins
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Defence21 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:43 am

PghSkins wrote:BOGO shirts at both PensGear locations.

At this point, I hate to say it, but I have zero interest in giving the NHL or its player even a dime out of my pocket. Both sides are ridiculous.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:44 am

mikey287 wrote:I doubt a U.S. Federal professional negotiator would be too keen on negotiating with a terrorist...not in the handbook...

Yeah, must be so hard to appease Jeremy Jacobs.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tim Thomasen on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:50 am

Defence21 wrote:

At this point, I hate to say it, but I have zero interest in giving the NHL or its player even a dime out of my pocket. Both sides are ridiculous.

I can't say I share that view. Maybe its because that like you i'm angry at both sides, but just not angry or emotional enough like everyone else here to just give up on the team.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Postby Gaucho on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:01 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:I doubt a U.S. Federal professional negotiator would be too keen on negotiating with a terrorist...not in the handbook...

Yeah, must be so hard to appease Jeremy Jacobs.

:thumb:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby nocera on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:02 pm

Tim Thomasen wrote:
Defence21 wrote:

I can't say I share that view. Maybe its because that like you i'm angry at both sides, but just not angry or emotional enough like everyone else here to just give up on the team.

I don't think anyone here is "giving up on the team." I'll definitely still watch a shortened season, but I will not purchase any tickets or merchandise.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tim Thomasen on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:06 pm

nocera wrote:
Tim Thomasen wrote:
Defence21 wrote:

I don't think anyone here is "giving up on the team." I'll definitely still watch a shortened season, but I will not purchase any tickets or merchandise.

When someone doesn't go to games, or buy merchandise or really pay no attention to the team as a result of the lockout that's giving up on them. That's very important to this team given how tedious our fanbase is to begin with.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Postby Steve on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:15 pm

nocera wrote:
Tim Thomasen wrote:
Defence21 wrote:

Same here.

I'll have to admit, if we lose the entire season, I would consider walking away from the NHL all together - except for the fact that 87 and 71 are on this team. And that right there kind of makes me into a fair weather Pens fan - which is not like I used to be, when I watched almost every Pens game the season in which Rico Fata was one of our best players.

Thanks NHL & NHLPA.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:19 pm

boycotting spending money on the NHL will only hurt you in the long run. a more profitable league is better for everyone - fans included. and as we're seeing right now, your contributions to league revenue have no impact whatsoever on how you're treated. so if you want to go to a game, go to a game. if you want to buy a jersey, buy a jersey. if you're peeved and want to do neither, that's fine too. but don't think it will have any kind of positive impact in a larger sense.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:21 pm

meow wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

just "a little" offense?

eeehhhhhh

I admit i am no Sutter expert, but i think Staal can put up 30 a year on a first or second line with real talent around him and on playing first powerplay unit. He will get better stats than he got hear. So i do place him a good bit better offence talent than Sutter. If Sutter can reach 20 goals i will be estatic.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PghSkins on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:21 pm

nocera wrote: I'll definitely still watch a shortened season

Tim Thomasen wrote:When someone doesn't go to games, or buy merchandise or really pay no attention to the team as a result of the lockout that's giving up on them. That's very important to this team given how tedious our fanbase is to begin with.

?

And, there are a few tedious fans here, but I'm not sure the whole fanbase is tedious.
PghSkins
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Tim Thomasen on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:22 pm

Steve wrote:
nocera wrote:
Tim Thomasen wrote:
Defence21 wrote:

Same here.

I'll have to admit, if we lose the entire season, I would consider walking away from the NHL all together - except for the fact that 87 and 71 are on this team. And that right there kind of makes me into a fair weather Pens fan - which is not like I used to be, when I watched almost every Pens game the season in which Rico Fata was one of our best players.

Thanks NHL & NHLPA.

I can understand your frustrations, but I could never do that or any team I follow. I guess it's because i'm more passionate about the team. I'm a Steeler fan don't get me wrong, but I don't follow it in blind faith or with an obsession like everyone else in this town does. The Pens are my passion and I don't follow them because of the stars on the team because we could have the best player in the world Steve, but it doesn't guarentee win at all because it takes a team to win (if you remember the first year with Sid we were a very poor team despite his presence since it was just Sid, over the hill vets and raw talent in players like MAF, Orpik and Malone to name a few).

I do miss the game and it will worse when football season is done and i'll have no pro teams to watch. You know what I miss the most? The road trips. I always love to just get in the car and drive hours to watch a game. I don't go to any last year because o money, but I was planning to go to a few like to Buffalo, long island and Columbus to name a few.

Guess I can kiss that goodbye.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins