Lockout

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Lockout

Postby no name on Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:49 pm

tfrizz wrote:
joopen wrote:
no name wrote:The best thing the owners could do is, make small concessions in that meeting, making it look like ithe tough negotiations are all Fehs fault.


That would be a really brilliant strategy. Just give them one or two things easily and tell them Fehr was never able to get to this point.


They're going to have a hard time making Fehr look any different than how the players already see him. Too many players are able to sit in on the dealings with Fehr for him to be able to hide anything.

The strategy is valid, though. The owners aren't stupid, and they know Fehr isn't going to bite at small bait. They need to relax some (or most) of their contracting rights proposals in this meeting then tell the players that once Fehr's back at the negotiating table the deal is off.


I am just scared Fehr is prepping these guys to act like he does. Which will make this meeting pointless. If the players go in with a open mind willing to talk and take back to the other players what they learn you might get somewhere.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,663
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Re: Lockout

Postby DMcGrew on Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:23 pm

https://twitter.com/wbzsports/status/275745204777152512
WBZ's Steve Burton reports #nhl talks have made great progress behind closed doors and it looks like the season will be salvaged - @JoeGiza

https://twitter.com/wbzsports/status/275751869165477888
WBZ's Steve Burton reports that a deal to save the #nhl season could be announced tomorrow or Wednesday - @JoeGiza

:shock:

I'd be SHOCKED if this really does happen.
DMcGrew
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,030
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:48 pm

Re: Lockout

Postby mikey287 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:25 pm

I've never heard of that guy. He knows and Bob McKenzie doesn't? I'd also be the capitalized word from the previous post.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,471
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Lockout

Postby Gaucho on Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:48 pm

That would be funny, because it would make Fehr and Bettman look like total idiots.

That said, I think it's bunk.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 39,057
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Jay Landsman's cookie jar

Re: Lockout

Postby Tim Thomasen on Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:21 pm

Gaucho wrote:That would be funny, because it would make Fehr and Bettman look like total idiots.

That said, I think it's bunk.


Why do you think this? Just curious.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:33 pm
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Re: Lockout

Postby Gaucho on Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:29 pm

Tim Thomasen wrote:
Gaucho wrote:That would be funny, because it would make Fehr and Bettman look like total idiots.

That said, I think it's bunk.


Why do you think this? Just curious.


I don't see them making that much progress in so little time. And now that I think about it, the players/owners meeting is scheduled for tomorrow, so I don't even know who exactly is supposed to have made that much progress. Just sounds fishy to me.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 39,057
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Jay Landsman's cookie jar

Re: Lockout

Postby skullman80 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:31 pm

I'd bet my house that a deal is nowhere close to imminent.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,847
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: Lockout

Postby ulf on Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:42 pm

I guess the tweet said progress was made behind closed doors. It's Boston's CBS affiliate's sports team twitter, but I'm not buying it. I want to.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,745
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:41 pm

Re: Lockout

Postby Bioshock on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:30 pm

No way this report is true. The NHL isn't smart enough or quiet enough to pull something like that off. It would have to be the best kept secret in North America and the best acting job by both sides ever. It would fool literally everyone.

I just come back to who we are dealing with here. These people don't have the "qualities" to pull something like that off.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,580
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:55 pm
Location: Mt. Lebanon

Re: Lockout

Postby Gaucho on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:01 am

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Getting a LOT of questions about a Boston-based report suggesting a significant breakthrough/possible deal to end lockout. Here's my take: If I had info to that effect, I'd have reported it. I don't have that info and I didn't report it. I have no knowledge of any breakthrough. As of this moment, I don't believe the lockout is any closer to ending than it was, say, on Sunday. We'll see what happens today in NYC.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 39,057
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Jay Landsman's cookie jar

Re: Lockout

Postby columbia on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:29 am

Josh Rimer ‏@JoshRimerHockey
Every person i've spoke with about Steve Burton has said he doesn't get things wrong. Is it possible he has a good scoop??


Josh Rimer ‏@JoshRimerHockey
Was told Steve Burton 1st report Kessel Cancer story a couple yrs ago, but was told he also broke Tim Thomas taking a year off story as well



Anyway, it seems pretty curious.....I'd say that there's no reason to believe that only person has this "info."
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,492
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Lockout

Postby Gaucho on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:30 am

R. Gove ‏@Gove85
Highly successful business are going to negotiate with a group of high school drop outs #whowinsthat? #lockoutproblems @BizNasty2point0

Paul Bissonnette ‏@BizNasty2point0
And I'm sure more of the players would have education backgrounds but we were to busy making the NHL @Gove85. Now go have fun at work.

R. Gove ‏@Gove85
@BizNasty2point0 You guys are the best in the world at what you do but they are the best at what they do! #badmatchup

Paul Bissonnette ‏@BizNasty2point0
If they were so smart we'd be playing hockey @Gove85. Franchise values are dropping every day after 1 of the NHL's most successful seasons.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 39,057
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Jay Landsman's cookie jar

Re: Lockout

Postby Gaucho on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:32 am

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
So, just to be clear, I'm not saying the Boston report is untrue or not accurate. I'm saying I can't get info to support it. That's all.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 39,057
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Jay Landsman's cookie jar

Re: Lockout

Postby columbia on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:42 am

That's the crux of it.

Something like this could be true, but there's no evidence to believe it is.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,492
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Lockout

Postby the wicked child on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:52 am

I'll believe it when I see it. I have a hard time believing they could go from nothing to "major progress" out of the blue, however.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,688
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: :scared:

Re: Lockout

Postby Gaucho on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:00 am

Maybe the meeting is just a front and Bettman and Fehr just wanted to get the annoying players and owners out of the way to be able to negotiate undisturbed.

Spoiler:
Image
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 39,057
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Jay Landsman's cookie jar

Re: Lockout

Postby Gaucho on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:47 am

Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl
Today's owners-players meeting is scheduled for 2 pm in NYC. Sidney Crosby confirmed to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that he will be there.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 39,057
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Jay Landsman's cookie jar

Re: Lockout

Postby penny lane on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:14 am

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris
It's a little over four hours until players-owners meeting in New York. The specific location still hasn't been announced.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,674
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: juju land

Re: Lockout

Postby newarenanow on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:45 am

Gaucho wrote:
Tim Thomasen wrote:
Gaucho wrote:That would be funny, because it would make Fehr and Bettman look like total idiots.

That said, I think it's bunk.


Why do you think this? Just curious.


I don't see them making that much progress in so little time. And now that I think about it, the players/owners meeting is scheduled for tomorrow, so I don't even know who exactly is supposed to have made that much progress. Just sounds fishy to me.


That's my feeling. It doesn't seem anyone was meeting. The guy might be right, but I have a hard time believing it.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 40,586
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Lockout

Postby no name on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:00 pm

DMcGrew wrote:https://twitter.com/wbzsports/status/275745204777152512
WBZ's Steve Burton reports #nhl talks have made great progress behind closed doors and it looks like the season will be salvaged - @JoeGiza

https://twitter.com/wbzsports/status/275751869165477888
WBZ's Steve Burton reports that a deal to save the #nhl season could be announced tomorrow or Wednesday - @JoeGiza

:shock:

I'd be SHOCKED if this really does happen.


As much as i would love to believe it, i just can't bring myself to get my hopes up just to have them come crashing down. At this point i could be standing in front of Fehr and he would be like we just signed a new CBA and i would be like....

Image
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,663
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Re: Lockout

Postby joopen on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:08 pm

no name wrote:
DMcGrew wrote:https://twitter.com/wbzsports/status/275745204777152512
WBZ's Steve Burton reports #nhl talks have made great progress behind closed doors and it looks like the season will be salvaged - @JoeGiza

https://twitter.com/wbzsports/status/275751869165477888
WBZ's Steve Burton reports that a deal to save the #nhl season could be announced tomorrow or Wednesday - @JoeGiza

:shock:

I'd be SHOCKED if this really does happen.


As much as i would love to believe it, i just can't bring myself to get my hopes up just to have them come crashing down. At this point i could be standing in front of Fehr and he would be like we just signed a new CBA and i would be like....

Image


Canadian Bacon Agreement
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,675
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:17 pm
Location: right behind you

Re: Lockout

Postby HockeyDaddy on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:40 pm

FWIW- I asked a friend of mine who works in the Boston media. Apparently, members of the Boston media do not respect Steve Burton and would take what he reports with a grain of salt.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,510
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:17 pm
Location: In Yo Face

Re: Lockout

Postby Gaucho on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:00 pm

People on twitter wonder if the NHLPA is paying for Crosby's airfare and hotel suite.

This is going to be good.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 39,057
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Jay Landsman's cookie jar

Re: Lockout

Postby HockeyDaddy on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:12 pm

Gaucho wrote:People on twitter wonder if the NHLPA is paying for Crosby's airfare and hotel suite.

This is going to be good.


If my union sent me to represent them at an out of state meeting, they had better be paying for my travel and board.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,510
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:17 pm
Location: In Yo Face

Re: Lockout

Postby Gaucho on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:18 pm

HockeyDaddy wrote:
Gaucho wrote:People on twitter wonder if the NHLPA is paying for Crosby's airfare and hotel suite.

This is going to be good.


If my union sent me to represent them at an out of state meeting, they had better be paying for my travel and board.


Of course, but there are plenty of idiots out there who will crucify him and his fellow players for it.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 39,057
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Jay Landsman's cookie jar

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BurghersAndDogsSports, Fast B, puckeye, sniper, The Snapshot, Wyopen and 29 guests

e-mail