Lockout

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Lockout

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:30 pm

So according to that article (which was awesome), the average NHL salary should be $442K instead of $2.4M. In inflation adjusted terms, looking back over the years to what we know the average salaries were, this would be in line with where they should be. How about that Fehr?
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:45 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:So according to that article (which was awesome), the average NHL salary should be $442K instead of $2.4M. In inflation adjusted terms, looking back over the years to what we know the average salaries were, this would be in line with where they should be. How about that Fehr?

Sounds like the union saved them. You couldnt pay me that for 4 years to sacrifice my body for the rest of my life
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:48 pm

tfrizz wrote:Aaron Ward ‏@aaronward_nhl
NHLPA Executive Board voted last night,to give players a vote to AUTHORIZE Exec Board to chose to proceed on Disclaimer of Interest #TSN

Sounds like a disclaimer of interest is imminent, which means full cancellation of the 2012-13 season will be coming soon.

Scary that they got pushed this way.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:49 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
tfrizz wrote:Aaron Ward ‏@aaronward_nhl
NHLPA Executive Board voted last night,to give players a vote to AUTHORIZE Exec Board to chose to proceed on Disclaimer of Interest #TSN

Sounds like a disclaimer of interest is imminent, which means full cancellation of the 2012-13 season will be coming soon.

Scary that they got pushed this way.

Many on Twitter clarifying that they have no voted to do it yet, they just voted to give the executive board the power to do so. That means they could, at the drop of the hat, disclaim interest and dissolve the NHLPA.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:53 pm

Oh ok. Still scary that theyre putting that imminent threat out there.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:06 pm

Is this like a vote of confidence for or against Fehr?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:09 pm

Indont think it reflects on fehr at all.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:14 pm

I guess I don't really understand the whole process.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:29 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:The players are more interested in getting paid than improving the game.

Why would it be their job to improve the game?

It's in everyone's interest.. the owners, the fans, and the players to have a better operated, more competitive, league. I don't understand why money has to always rule it all for some people. How about some integrity and doing the right thing.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:34 pm

tfrizz wrote:It does nothing for job security for a player. Suppose Crosby signed a deal like this, and suffered a career-ending concussion in the 4th year of the contract. The owners could then simply terminate the contract after the fifth year, Crosby doesn't get paid, and the team gets off scot-free. It eliminates any risk to the team in signing long-term contracts, which doesn't seem right.

Seems perfectly fine to me. Call it bad luck or whatever you want, but just because you make it to the NHL, it doesn't mean you should be paid so much money you don't have to work another day in your life. These are regular people to me, not superhumans deserving special treatment. I have an idea for players who can't hack it or retire and still need more money.

http://www.ohiocollegeclowningarts.com/
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:36 pm

I feel like there are a few people here who actually want cap circumvention to continue. I'm surprised.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:03 pm

I got goose bumps reading that quote by The President about the strike.

Fehr must of loved it to he is a Republician. A different kind of love.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby interstorm on Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:40 pm

Bathgate wrote:Another good article that demonstrates the idiocy of the PA for pushing this to far:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-lockout/2012/12/14/nhl_nhlpa_lockout_difference_mlb_contraction/

I don't feel like this article hits the mark. I think the players are comfortable with a 50/50 split but have the following issues:
* owners made promises (contracts) and should keep them
* a 50/50 HRR split in theory has nothing to do with contract limits (lengths and escalators). The problem is some of these contracts in reality 'create money' by circumventing the cap (especially assuming the player retires before the contract ends). The players are not responsible for the owner's actions.
* owners willingly purchased franchises. If the blues really didn't turn a profit since inception, purchasers should very well know it.
* on a whole, the NHL has returned profits to owners at a rate close to the dow (stock market). Some nfl teams and many nba teams "lose" money. While each team should have the ability to profit, expectations should be realistic on what that profit percentage should be. Anyone expecting the average team to make 10%+ on profit each year is being unreasonable
* overall nhl franchise values have risen very well (beating the dow since 2005). Given that OWNERSHIP is more about asset appreciation (as opposed to employment will annual salary), nhl teams, on averave, fair quite well.
* players didn't pick the location of franchises. It was bettman's experiment to expand to arizona, back to atlanta and into columbus.

Does the system need to be tweaked to help all (or at least most given the current locations) profit? Definitely! Are NHL teams drowning so much it warrants "hill we die on" talk-- I don't see it. The owners also had their chance in the prior lockout and I think it is understandable why players don't want to hear, "when we steam rolled you guys last time...we didn't do it hard enough".

There is something to be said for having your shot and then missing it. If the owner's felt like they should have gotten more last time then boo-hoo if they messed up. If it is a case where they are redefining now what is acceptable (based on changes in nfl and nba labor agreements since then), well- it is then very easy to understand why the PA doesn't want to give in (as it could continue to happen) and why they hired fehr...the mirror image to bettman.

Just agree on 50/50 as an end goal and agree on a realistic transition to this. That and owners, who now cry about their businesses failing, need to run their teams like a business.
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby darkstar57 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:47 pm

no name wrote:I got goose bumps reading that quote by The President about the strike.

So you got goose bumps form the president basically saying he is not getting involved but the players and owners should get this done?

So you got excited over him saying he is doing nothing?
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby Bathgate on Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:14 pm

no name wrote:I got goose bumps reading that quote by The President about the strike.

No name might actually have a name: Chris Matthews
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:18 pm

I'm sure this is going to be great for the long-term health of the league...
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby offsides on Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:52 pm

Games cancelled through December.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6473 ... l:topheads

Wonder what the drop dead date is? Gotta be getting close. I always wondered just exactly what the term "dog and pony show" meant. I think I get it now.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:58 pm

Already happened on Monday. Next round of cancellations due on the 20th, I believe.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:15 pm

darkstar57 wrote:

So you got goose bumps form the president basically saying he is not getting involved but the players and owners should get this done?

So you got excited over him saying he is doing nothing?

Was ment more as a joke nothing more. No goose bumps, thought i would be funny since Fehr is a well know Republician.

I don't think a president ever got involed in a sport negotiation befor, i wouldn't expect Obama to do it now. But i was happy he said some thing, instead of nothing.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby offsides on Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:52 pm

Gaucho wrote:Already happened on Monday. Next round of cancellations due on the 20th, I believe.

Thanks, shows you how much I have been paying attention.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:56 pm

Late this afternoon, the NHL announced its intention to have the ongoing lockout declared legal, a preemptive move designed to counter the possibility the NHL Players' Association will file a disclaimer of interest.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/spo ... z2F4dOgU5B
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby nocera on Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:58 pm

I really hate both sides.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:01 pm

offsides wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Already happened on Monday. Next round of cancellations due on the 20th, I believe.

Thanks, shows you how much I have been paying attention.

Totally understandable. I'm paying way too much attention.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:41 pm

@mirtle

Part of NHL's filing includes section requesting declaration that "all existing contracts between NHL players and teams would be void."
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:22 pm

Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl
The NHLPA released a statement about the NHL's filings today. It follows: “The NHLPA has just received a copy of the National Labor Relations Board charge and has not yet been served with the lawsuit. However, based on what we’ve learned so far, the NHL appears to be arguing that Players should be stopped from even considering their right to decide whether or not to be represented by a union. We believe that their position is completely without merit.” End statement.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins