Lockout

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Lockout

Postby shmenguin on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:44 pm

no rollbacks, eh? i guess we're not in that much trouble compared to other some teams, but it's very possible that our 3rd line next season will be terrible.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:45 pm

DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pressure=9Pa on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:46 pm

Great58 wrote:
The nba has less variance not because of economics, but because of the elite players having so much direct influence on wins and losses

Then perhaps the correlate to that is the NHL has more variance due to their rules which reduce the ability of their elite players having so much direct influence on wins and losses.

The NBA max contract per player is artificially low, which means the top 5% of players choose what city to play in on factors other than salary. They choose ability to win, good weather, fun city, top exposure and the like because they will make the same number anywhere. There are many cities that cannot land the top player, even if they can afford them.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:47 pm

i am going out on the limb, the bridge, and the cliff... i think we'll have penguin hockey soon.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:48 pm

pressure=9Pa wrote:
Great58 wrote:
The nba has less variance not because of economics, but because of the elite players having so much direct influence on wins and losses

Then perhaps the correlate to that is the NHL has more variance due to their rules which reduce the ability of their elite players having so much direct influence on wins and losses.

The NBA max contract per player is artificially low, which means the top 5% of players choose what city to play in on factors other than salary. They choose ability to win, good weather, fun city, top exposure and the like because they will make the same number anywhere. There are many cities that cannot land the top player, even if they can afford them.

See also: Cleveland :pop:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:49 pm

penny lane wrote:i am going out on the limb, the bridge, and the cliff... i think we'll have penguin hockey soon.

Better not be the fiscal cliff, that place is getting really crowded the last couple of days... :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby TheHammer24 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:52 pm

• Money paid (above a defined threshold) to Players on NHL SPCs in another professional league (e.g., the AHL or a European league) will be charged against the NHL team’s Cap, but not against the Players’ Share.

This is a cool feature for the fans and players.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:52 pm

with our roster, there's no one i can see shero using a buyout on. on one hand, he's done a great job not engaging in regrettable contracts. on the other hand, he's built a team where our defense still needs the services of paul stinking martin and his 5 million dollars.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:54 pm

Yeah, I can't imagine we would use the buyout on anyone unless there was a minor league contract that he wanted to dump, but that's extremely unlikely.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:55 pm

mikey287 wrote:Yeah, I can't imagine we would use the buyout on anyone unless there was a minor league contract that he wanted to dump, but that's extremely unlikely.

Buyout Sid... :scared:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:56 pm

Maybe you can trade the buyout for a top two defenseman.... :pop:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:59 pm

penny lane wrote:i am going out on the limb, the bridge, and the cliff... i think we'll have penguin hockey soon.

With Fehr involved i lose any sence of optimism. I guarentee the deal as it will not be enough. Maybe just maybe, even at the slightest. Fehr might say we are close enough to send the players back and we can work out the rest of the details in the comming weeks. Thats what they did in 94'.

See what you did... leave it to a woman to make me thing something good can happen.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:00 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:Maybe you can trade the buyout for a top two defenseman.... :pop:

you may :pop: at this, but theoretically, with the new cap, isn't the price for a good 2nd pairing dman going to easily be under 5 mill in 2013? i don't think martin should feel safe. you can't give him up with no succession plan in place, but you can certainly replace him if someone interesting is available.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:01 pm

no name wrote:

With Fehr involved i lose any sence of optimism. I guarentee the deal as it will not be enough. Maybe just maybe, even at the slightest. Fehr might say we are close enough to send the players back and we can work out the rest of the details in the comming weeks. Thats what they did in 94'.

See what you did... leave it to a woman to make me thing something good can happen.

"Remember Red~ hope is a good thing!" shawshank redemption :D
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:03 pm

mikey287 wrote:Yeah, I can't imagine we would use the buyout on anyone unless there was a minor league contract that he wanted to dump, but that's extremely unlikely.

Lets see, Tim Thomas, Wade Redding, Scott Gomez will all be availible after this...
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pressure=9Pa on Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:08 pm

For entirely Pens related reasons, I hope the buyout is not part of the final offer. Too many teams in our division have contracts a lot worse than our worst contract.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DocEmrick on Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:08 pm

penny lane wrote:
no name wrote:

Let me tell you something my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:10 pm

pressure=9Pa wrote:For entirely Pens related reasons, I hope the buyout is not part of the final offer. Too many teams in our division have contracts a lot worse than our worst contract.

i don't know...the flyers already have an out with pronger and i don't think the rangers have any contracts that they don't want except for redden. and even with him, i'm not sure he'll have any affect on the cap after this CBA. our division will be fairly unchanged, imo.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:10 pm

Im in favor of a buyout clause like that every time the cba changes
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:11 pm

penny lane wrote:
no name wrote:

Condier what Andy endured his first coulpe years in prision from "the sisters", this is what we the fans have endured from Fehr.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:12 pm

DocEmrick wrote: Let me tell you something my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.

this explains alot... :pop:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:37 pm

New Player Discipline procedures and protocol incorporating Player appeal rights to a neutral third-party arbitrator for both on-ice and off-ice discipline.

^ that's pretty interesting.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby opie22002 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:42 pm

UPDATE(11:50 PM EST): NHLPA drafting a counterproposal this afternoon, per Nick Kypreos.
opie22002
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:48 pm

Well crap
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pressure=9Pa on Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:50 pm

Well, the East Coast Longshoreman aren't going on strike at the end of the month. Looks like we won't get two agreements in one day.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins