Lockout

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Lockout

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:52 am

it's just a shame (for us, selfishly), that they aren't doing rollbacks. crosby's cap hit will go from "bargain" to "meh, whatever". and presumably, malkin will have to be signed at about the same, non-bargain price.

so what we're left with is potentially a very dicey lineup - with 3rd liners guaranteed to be given spots on our top 2 lines for a while.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby beLIEve on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:59 am

shmenguin wrote:it's just a shame (for us, selfishly), that they aren't doing rollbacks. crosby's cap hit will go from "bargain" to "meh, whatever". and presumably, malkin will have to be signed at about the same, non-bargain price.

so what we're left with is potentially a very dicey lineup - with 3rd liners guaranteed to be given spots on our top 2 lines for a while.

In 2013-2014, yes, thats true. But it won't be long before the cap goes up and Crosby's cap hit will be a bargain once again.
beLIEve
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:01 pm

beLIEve wrote:
shmenguin wrote:it's just a shame (for us, selfishly), that they aren't doing rollbacks. crosby's cap hit will go from "bargain" to "meh, whatever". and presumably, malkin will have to be signed at about the same, non-bargain price.

In 2013-2014, yes, thats true. But it won't be long before the cap goes up and Crosby's cap hit will be a bargain once again.

tough sledding until then.

plus, letang's gonna need a pretty giant raise soon. shero has some tough work to do in the next few years.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby darkstar57 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:07 pm

shmenguin wrote:
beLIEve wrote:

tough sledding until then.

plus, letang's gonna need a pretty giant raise soon. shero has some tough work to do in the next few years.

i still think 17.4 million for the two best players in the world is a bargain even with a cap of 63 million (yes i think malkin signs the same contract as crosby) I love Letang, but i think he is replaceable esp with the talent of young players we have on d
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:08 pm

Gaucho wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
Who's Col. Mustard?

He committed the murder in the parlor, with a candlestick. 8-)

Character in a game called "Clue".

Oh... :oops:

He's Oberst Günther von Gatow in the German version.

Thats has made my day
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby no name on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:10 pm

DocEmrick wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Another detail emerging: NHL has upped its compliance buyout offer to 2 per team, up from 1 prior to 2013-14 season.

ick...as a team that will use zero buyouts, this takes away some of our advantage.

Agreed, too bad RS was smarter than everyone else...

Can't you buyout Sid, pay him all that money he was suposed to make then resign him to league min. cap hit 550k per season. LOL now that is cap circumvetion at its best.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:10 pm

I take this as another sign that there will be a season.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby interstorm on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:17 pm

no name wrote:
DocEmrick wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Another detail emerging: NHL has upped its compliance buyout offer to 2 per team, up from 1 prior to 2013-14 season.

ick...as a team that will use zero buyouts, this takes away some of our advantage.

Can't you buyout Sid, pay him all that money he was suposed to make then resign him to league min. cap hit 550k per season. LOL now that is cap circumvetion at its best.

that would be awesome!!! the pens, assuming they replace his salary and go back to the cap, would in theory be losing a ton of money. who cares about that, though. shero will be calling you for more ideas soon.
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:21 pm

KHL_Hockey ‏@KHL_hockey
Top forward for December is Evgeni Malkin. He recorded 25 points (8G, 17A) in just 9 games. pic.twitter.com/fwtzBBVV
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby beLIEve on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:26 pm

no name wrote:
DocEmrick wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

I would imagine there would be rules against the same team re-signing a player they just bought out to avoid something like this. But i do love the theory lol.

Its stuff like this that shows you exactly why the NHL should be holding their ground against stupid crap like amnesty buyouts because of all of the cap circumvention and and advantages to bigger clubs its provides. This is exactly what got them in trouble with the last CBA and allowing averaging of dollars over multiple years. The cap should be the cap, period.
beLIEve
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:32 pm

If youre goig to drop it like this, you have to allow compliance buyouts. For normal buyouts, you cant sign a player you bought out for a year.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:00 pm

Shero will have to at least consider buying out P. Martin, given the opportunity to get that contract off the books before next season's cap drop. Prices will go way down on players. And he could always sign a guy like Mark Eaton (or hypothetically trade for Gonchar) to fill in for the time being.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:03 pm

Just seeing now that buyouts would be prior to 13-14 season. So if Martin lays another dud of season then Shero's got an out on him.

Hopefully though, with Michalek shipped for a bag of pucks, Martin gets his game in gear.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:04 pm

Sure, if he feels he can get a better player at the same price. But you are delusional if you think Mark Eaton can fill in for Martin.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:09 pm

Maybe Martin will adjust like Gonchar :pop:
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:11 pm

I am sure the NHL will cover tits bases so things like this can't be inplay, i was just making a joke and just to show what some GMs will try and pull with this. As much as the NHL is fighting to make the cap and cap hit system work, teams and GMs will always be trying to find the loop hole. Dipetro, loungo, Gomez, pronger... line them up. Shero has been smart up to this point there really is nobody on the roster who we need to buy out.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:15 pm

Mmm... tits bases.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:18 pm

this isn't a martin bashing post, but if (big IF) there's enough progression with a young player and if niskanen can handle the increased role (proven over this half season+playoffs), then you simply have to look into buying out martin before 13/14.

remember all the "IF"s, though
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:20 pm

I wouldnt assume you can bank these buyouts unless they've stated otherwise. Compliance buyouts would logically be done before opening night.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:31 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I wouldnt assume you can bank these buyouts unless they've stated otherwise. Compliance buyouts would logically be done before opening night.

The buyouts would be done after the shortened season, if they play, to help teams open up space for the lowered cap in the 2013-14 season.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:48 pm

Gaucho wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
Who's Col. Mustard?

He committed the murder in the parlor, with a candlestick. 8-)

Character in a game called "Clue".

Oh... :oops:

He's Oberst Günther von Gatow in the German version.

He should be that in the US version. More dangerous/shady sounding. :lol:
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:28 pm

So Donald Fehr was the one who decided not to give the disclaimer:

@DarrenDreger
Players voted yesterday to give Don Fehr full authority to decide on Disclaimer last night. Obviously, D.Fehr decided against it.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:44 pm

MRandall25 wrote:So Donald Fehr was the one who decided not to give the disclaimer:

@DarrenDreger
Players voted yesterday to give Don Fehr full authority to decide on Disclaimer last night. Obviously, D.Fehr decided against it.

Don't read to much into this, it would look like he was bargaining in "bad faith" basiclly a legel term lawsuits use to show another agenda was being followed.

But a simple vote and they can give it to him again.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby yubb on Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:50 pm

Gaucho wrote:Mmm... tits bases.

I laughed out loud on this.
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:54 pm