2012 Development Camp, Day 5 (Scrimmage) Report

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

2012 Development Camp, Day 5 (Scrimmage) Report

Postby netwolf on Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:18 am

...is up. Reap the benefits of my insomnia here: http://letsgopens.com/camp_reports.php?id=75
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: 2012 Development Camp, Day 5 (Scrimmage) Report

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:19 am

I was just looking for this!
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DesertPenguin on Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:32 am

Awesome, thank you! Sounds like Despres, Dumoulin and Morrow all have a shot to crack the NHL roster out of camp. Should be exciting.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:40 am

Check out some video highlights on the pens website - Dumoulins goal was pretty sweet, as was that backhand shootout move on the last part of the video... not sure who it was, but I think it was Marcantouni. Good stuff. Thanks for the reviews.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i ... L|PIT|home
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:45 am

The problem facing Despres, Dumoulin, and Morrow is how stacked the team is at the position. Letang, Orpik, Martin, Niskanen, Engelland, Lovejoy, Strait, Bortuzzo, and Reese all have to clear waivers to be sent down. Reese is the only one that would. Those three don't have to clear and since they're not going to stay up if they aren't playing, they not only need to play their way into the top 6, they have to do so by a wide enough margin for the team to be willing to lose someone else for nothing. The blueline may be slightly less clogged by the time camp rolls around, but as it stands now, they have a pretty tough road in front of them.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:47 am

I think the black team shooter towards the end of that clip was actually Scott Harrington.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DesertPenguin on Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:29 am

netwolf wrote:The problem facing Despres, Dumoulin, and Morrow is how stacked the team is at the position. Letang, Orpik, Martin, Niskanen, Engelland, Lovejoy, Strait, Bortuzzo, and Reese all have to clear waivers to be sent down. Reese is the only one that would. Those three don't have to clear and since they're not going to stay up if they aren't playing, they not only need to play their way into the top 6, they have to do so by a wide enough margin for the team to be willing to lose someone else for nothing. The blueline may be slightly less clogged by the time camp rolls around, but as it stands now, they have a pretty tough road in front of them.

It's a problem, but its the type of problem every team would love to have! I expect Shero to move one or more of Lovejoy, Engelland, Strait and Bortuzzo before the start of the season, but even then the only player I feel is a lock for the Pens is Despres. Dumoulin or Morrow could force their way on though if they have good camps.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby davemess on Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:10 am

Just based on the teams past actions i would expect Morrow and Dumoulin to start out in the AHL, just to give them some pro experience.

Despres is the one i would guess the team are expecting/hoping will claim a starting 6 spot out of camp.

Letang, Orpik, Martin, Niskanen, Despres

I think Engelland probably sticks around just on the toughness he brings, either as the 6th or 7th dman depending on the opponent.

That leaves Lovejoy, Strait & Bortuzzo battling for either 1 or 2 spots. People always assume the worst and that players wouldnt clear waivers but they are more likely to at the end of camps when every other team is also waiving their own 8th and 9th Dmen.

Next summer Morrow and Dumoulin should be making the team if all goes well.

Next again Scott Harrington is probably ready.

Then its Mattaa and Pouliot the following year.

And inbetween that Shero is hopefully moving on prospects like Bortuzzo, Sneep, D'Agostino, Samuelsson etc for additional draft picks or as parts of larger deals once those guys have had a taste of the NHL and their value is up.
davemess
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puffymuffin on Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:18 am

The D-corps is looking quite impressive. Also a fan of Blueger, love his passing skills and vision, it's on a whole other level compared to most these guys already.
Puffymuffin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jogr4909 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:10 am

Thanks Netwolf. Excellent job. Enjoyed the information on Pens prospects ! Dumoulin and Despres may crack the team out of camp!
jogr4909
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:27 am

Glad to see some skill up front with Blueger and Agostino.

I don't see how we are not opening the season with at least 8 if not 9 defenseman. Lovejoy is a solid NHL player but he's at the end of the road now and Strait and Bortuzzo have more upside. We'll lose him on waivers but that's fine.

At some point though this organization needs to risk waivers if players are ready. If say Morrow, Despres and Dumoulin need to be playing every night in the NHL then they need to risk Strait, Bortuzzo and maybe even Engellend.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Geezer on Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:44 am

Thanks as always for your interesting report. Was the temporary switching of Veliscek done simply because they were short of forwads or was this something they wanted to look at?
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:43 am

Remember when 6000 people came to the actual games?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens_CT on Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:08 am

Geezer wrote:Thanks as always for your interesting report. Was the temporary switching of Veliscek done simply because they were short of forwads or was this something they wanted to look at?

I'm pretty sure that Velischek played some forward last season at Providence.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:00 am

Who was the biggest surprise of the camp? Disappointment?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:56 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:Who was the biggest surprise of the camp? Disappointment?

The Penguins used three goalies, with Sean Maguire and Matt Murray alternating for the White Team. Undrafted goalie Ryan Faragher of St. Cloud State, who handled the entire afternoon for the Black Team, enjoyed the added work.
“I showed them I’m a hard worker,” Faragher said. “I compete to the end. That’s just the kind of person I am. I come from a blue-collar family. That’s the kind of work ethic I have.”
Faragher, 22, hopes a good college season this fall could draw a professional offer.

http://bismarcktribune.com/sports/bobca ... f887a.html
Good lord this kid only finished his freshman year! GM Shero, sign him!
And #31 from Halifax, NS, Liam O'brien; 50% puck follows him and 50% he follows the puck! Bob Errey -like. :wink:

http://triblive.com/sports/2203354-85/r ... eason-team
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby netwolf on Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:18 pm

I can't speak to how often Velischek played forward in college, but I would guess him playing forward yesterday had more to do with the roster than it did with any potential position switch.

As for overall impressions, I don't really like to tag anyone a disappointment. It's a summer development camp. The purpose is to educate these kids on what it means to be a Pittsburgh Penguin. Sure, there are evaluations going on, but that's secondary.

That qualification aside, I suppose I would have liked to have seen a little more from Pouliot and Maatta. Again though, they're among the youngest there and not everyone is going to do what Morrow and Harrington did last year.

I had never heard about Andrej Sustr before this camp. I don't know if I'm just overly impressed with his skill level because you don't expect it from a 6'7" kid, or if he's just good, but I really don't know how he's slipped through three drafts. I have no clue if he pans out into an NHL defenseman, but based on this week, he seems like a heck of a prospect. If Shero could convince him to sign here at some point, I certainly wouldn't mind. Thing is, if Sustr wants to finish school, he won't be in a hurry to sign anywhere, and if he is interested in a contract, there are a lot of organizations with less crowded bluelines. He was at Rangers prospect camp last year, Ottawa has supposedly been looking at him, and reportedly scouts from 20 different teams watched him at some point last year. Even if the Penguins are interested, which is unknown, the decision is 100% Sustr's.

As for guys the Penguins do have the rights to, Teddy Blueger showed he's got great hands and creativity. Matia Marcantuoni wasn't a surprise, but he backed up what I had read about him - a ton of speed, pretty good shot, and great work ethic. Alex Velischek looks like another decent puckmoving defenseman. Kenny Agostino isn't flashy, but he has a good shot, doesn't hesitate to go into traffic, and is really good at using his body to protect the puck.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Corvidae on Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:22 pm

penny lane wrote:
The Penguins used three goalies, with Sean Maguire and Matt Murray alternating for the White Team. Undrafted goalie Ryan Faragher of St. Cloud State, who handled the entire afternoon for the Black Team, enjoyed the added work.
“I showed them I’m a hard worker,” Faragher said. “I compete to the end. That’s just the kind of person I am. I come from a blue-collar family. That’s the kind of work ethic I have.”
Faragher, 22, hopes a good college season this fall could draw a professional offer.

http://bismarcktribune.com/sports/bobca ... f887a.html
Good lord this kid only finished his freshman year! GM Shero, sign him!

I'm guessing Ray and Co got a good like at him while checking up on Hanowski.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby NashvilleCat on Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:13 pm

Gaucho wrote:Remember when 6000 people came to the actual games?

In the early '80s that would have been a strong showing.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Corvidae on Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:05 pm

Anyone else pleasantly surprised but that Ruopp kid? I hope he finds himself in WBS next year.

Their defensive depth is just ridiculously at this point and they could legitimately fill 2 NHL prospect pools.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:07 pm

Corvidae wrote:Anyone else pleasantly surprised but that Ruopp kid? I hope he finds himself in WBS next year.

Their defensive depth is just ridiculously at this point and they could legitimately fill 2 NHL prospect pools.

In one of the PG or Trib articles today, Morrow openly acknowledged that the D depth is so great, that certain blueliners will be trade fodder.....and hoped it wasn't him.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Corvidae on Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:10 pm

columbia wrote:In one of the PG or Trib articles today, Morrow openly acknowledged that the D depth is so great, that certain blueliners will be trade fodder.....and hoped it wasn't him.

I hope not either. He's far and away my favorite prospect. Puck movers are great, but he's got the boomer we've needed since Sarge left. And now with that long flowing hair? Man crush potential.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:15 am

I thought morrow was more of a waify goligoski build...but now that I see he's freakin solid with Steve francis' vertical leap...things just got interestinger
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WWGRD on Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:26 am

Great write-ups Net. As always. Appreciate your hard work.

Just posted my updated Penguins prospect rankings with the 12 newly drafted/acquired players.

http://bangbodies.com/category/top-prospects/
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:17 pm

Congrats Netwolf~ invite to the week long camp ; you've come a long way baby! 8-) :thumb:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins