new penguin, brandon sutter in Pittsburgh

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

new penguin, brandon sutter in Pittsburgh

Postby penny lane on Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:15 pm

Jennifer Bullano ‏@PensPRLady
#Pens Matt Cooke greeted Sutter inside the locker room. http://pic.twitter.com/h3z3DjUG

B Sutter in Pittsburgh. An aside, Matt Cooke always working out ... wing for Sid. 8-)

Seth Rorabaugh ‏@emptynetters
#Penguins Transcript of Brandon Sutter's media availability today: http://bit.ly/N2qhny
How much do you know about the Penguins' style of play?
"It’s one that working pretty good for them. They’ve been a pretty good team for a couple of years now. They’re consistent every year. I haven’t had a chance to meet (Dan Bylsma) yet. But I’ve talked to him on the phone and he seems very optimistic about it. You get excited talking to him. The system obviously is an aggressive one. And that’s fun. That’s they way you want to play. You want to go after teams. You want to go after teams and try to create stuff. I’m looking forward to that."
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: new penguin, brandon sutter in Pittsburgh

Postby DocEmrick on Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:28 pm

I think he'll fill that third line role fine. As others have pointed out, he won't generate the offense Staal did, but he's still the best in his class for the role. How long until we try him on Sid's wing? 3 games? 4?
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Penspal on Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:33 pm

He comes across as an honest well spoken player. Looking forward to getting to know Mr. Sutter better.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby topshelf on Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:47 pm

I remember hearing that Bylsma stated that with the big three down the middle, he felt obligated to play the third line more than he wanted to because he didn't want to not give Staal ice time. We'll see what this does to the system.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Guinness on Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:57 pm

DocEmrick wrote:I think he'll fill that third line role fine. As others have pointed out, he won't generate the offense Staal did, but he's still the best in his class for the role. How long until we try him on Sid's wing? 3 games? 4?

I may be in the minority here, but I am a big fan of this trade - I'm really looking forward to seeing a more traditional 3rd line here. Staal got a little lax on the defensive side of the ice, from my view, during the last season as he grew more competent north of the red line. I think roles are going to be more clearly defined this year - lines 1 and 2 are heading up ice with the expressed intent of potting goals. Line 3 is going to keep the opponents line 1 and 2 in check, as it were, with the opportunistic chance as it presents itself (Sutter is not slouch in the the oh-ffensive zone), and line 4 is going to bang and crash... I hope.

Old school hockey, eh? Puttin' on the foil, eh coach? Toe Blake?
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:08 am

When Guinness talks hockey, I agree with him. :thumb: Go figure.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Guinness on Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:30 am

;)
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:03 am

Guinness wrote:
DocEmrick wrote:I think he'll fill that third line role fine. As others have pointed out, he won't generate the offense Staal did, but he's still the best in his class for the role. How long until we try him on Sid's wing? 3 games? 4?

I may be in the minority here, but I am a big fan of this trade - I'm really looking forward to seeing a more traditional 3rd line here. Staal got a little lax on the defensive side of the ice, from my view, during the last season as he grew more competent north of the red line. I think roles are going to be more clearly defined this year - lines 1 and 2 are heading up ice with the expressed intent of potting goals. Line 3 is going to keep the opponents line 1 and 2 in check, as it were, with the opportunistic chance as it presents itself (Sutter is not slouch in the the oh-ffensive zone), and line 4 is going to bang and crash... I hope.

I'm with you Guinness. As Staal grew more proficient "north of the red line" I think he became enamored with the opportunity to put one in the back of the net. Nothing really wrong with that, except that his "D" responsibilities suffered as a result, and he became, in essence, the second 2nd line center on the team. In Sutter we get back that 3rd line center, and a pretty good one at that. He's gonna fit in just fine.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby steelhammer on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:07 am

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:
Guinness wrote:

I'm with you Guinness. As Staal grew more proficient "north of the red line" I think he became enamored with the opportunity to put one in the back of the net. Nothing really wrong with that, except that his "D" responsibilities suffered as a result, and he became, in essence, the second 2nd line center on the team. In Sutter we get back that 3rd line center, and a pretty good one at that. He's gonna fit in just fine.

BEPF

In total agreement with both of you on all counts. Staal may have been the worst forward defensively during the last playoff series and that is really saying something.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:36 am

Could of been Jordan wanted to showcase his offenisve abilities for Carolina for his new contract... maybe?

it still would of been nice to trade Jordan to a team of our choosing instead of being forced to trade to Carolina. I would of prefered a equal one for one trade and get Sid a winger.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:43 am

I've a feeling Sutter + Dumoulin + Pouliot will prove better than any one individual winger we could've acquired for Jordan Staal.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:51 am

I agree with everything that has been expressed so far... This thread is the unifier and full of win.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:48 am

no name wrote:Could of been Jordan wanted to showcase his offenisve abilities for Carolina for his new contract... maybe?
It still would of been nice to trade Jordan to a team of our choosing instead of being forced to trade to Carolina. I would of prefered a equal one for one trade and get Sid a winger.

Definately agree with the bolded part of the quote. And having a choice is always preferable to being forced. :pop:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sheriff66 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:52 am

Never wanted to lose Staal, but Sutter coming back + Doumoulin and Pouliot, Ray did good. Sutter is going to be a lot of fun to watch, really excited to have him in our lineup, kid is a hell of a player in his own right.
Sheriff66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:40 pm

I never saw Staal as a shut-down checking center, even before he started scoring more. He had all the tools to be one, except for the aspect of being a "pest". He never had the ability to actually get the opposing center off his game.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:11 pm

It'd be nice if Sutter could put up 25g/25ass. If he's stuck at 30 points and Sid has no winger to unleash fury with... bleh.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:59 pm

As we know 25A= 8.3G, so that's a 30 goal scorer.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:19 pm

I haven't heard an interview with him yet where he sounds happy to be here. Any out there?
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:15 am

Eismann wrote:I haven't heard an interview with him yet where he sounds happy to be here. Any out there?

I thought the Emptynetters interview was that...
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby steelhammer on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:03 am

Sarcastic wrote:It'd be nice if Sutter could put up 25g/25ass. If he's stuck at 30 points and Sid has no winger to unleash fury with... bleh.

I feel like he will definitely hit 40 points as he will get a lot of time on the 2nd PP unit. 25/25 is asking a little too much and Staal never even hit that as a 3rd line center. It's possible, but it's at the very upper end. What he will bring is defensive responsibility as he is one of the best in the game. See for yourself though through the stats and also see just how far Staal has fallen (versus perception) in terms of his defense over the past few seasons: http://hockeyanalysis.com/2012/06/23/jordan-staal-vs-brandon-sutter/
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sil on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:57 am

Don't be surprised to see Sutter get worked into the top PP line as well (does Bylsma really even run 2 lines???)...he has something most of the current forward core does not...a right handed shot.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby steelhammer on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:02 am

sil wrote:Don't be surprised to see Sutter get worked into the top PP line as well (does Bylsma really even run 2 lines???)...he has something most of the current forward core does not...a right handed shot.

It's hard to imagine him on the first unit given the current lineup. Addionally, that could strain the line configurations having the centers from the top 3 lines all out together.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:09 pm

steelhammer wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:It'd be nice if Sutter could put up 25g/25ass. If he's stuck at 30 points and Sid has no winger to unleash fury with... bleh.

I feel like he will definitely hit 40 points as he will get a lot of time on the 2nd PP unit. 25/25 is asking a little too much and Staal never even hit that as a 3rd line center. It's possible, but it's at the very upper end. What he will bring is defensive responsibility as he is one of the best in the game. See for yourself though through the stats and also see just how far Staal has fallen (versus perception) in terms of his defense over the past few seasons: http://hockeyanalysis.com/2012/06/23/jordan-staal-vs-brandon-sutter/

Nice link. Yeah, the defensive game has left Jordan Staal a while ago. I know I haven't been happy with that going back to last year and the year before. Good luck to him, but it'll probably be nice to have a shutdown centerman again.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins