Preds looking to trade for top 4 Dman - Paul Martin?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Preds looking to trade for top 4 Dman - Paul Martin?

Postby Penspal on Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:00 am

Paul Martin has shown skill for periods of time making him worth EVERY cent paid to him.

Martin has also played very poorly at times, resulting in goals against, and very likely losses for the team.

Martin is what he is, and not what many fans want him to be. If he played his game, which meshes will with ONE of the Pens styles, then he's got a spot here. If not.....

My issue with Martin is which guy are you going to get? Can you rely on him come playoffs? In GMRS I trust to do the right thing, whatever that is.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby k0la on Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:13 am

My original issue was his contract. With the current cap situation, I'd rather keep him. I'm concerned like the rest of you about the defensive pairings. I don't think you can get value for Martin right now, so there's probably no trade that will help that situation. I think we'll have to wait and see what Pens come out of camp with. Hopefully they find three pairings that work well together.
k0la
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pcm on Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:38 pm

Despite his frequent glaring mistakes, my biggest issue with Martin is his lack of compete. Granted, the Pens tried to compete too much vs the Flyers and got their heads handed to them. But I want defensmen who can battle in some way shape or form. Even Gonchar (who would let guys have the pucks along the boards) had a fire in him that showed in his offensive skills. When he came back from injury in the cup finals and blasted home that PP goal, you could see it alive in him. Martin is like a wet noodle on the ice. Hence the dislike...
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins