Worst Post Lockout Pens Trade

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Worst Post Lockout Pens Trade

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:41 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:This shows Shero's prowess, no? I think Carcillo and pick for Laraque is mine.

agreed. and it says something when the crappiest trade involves a clown like dan carcillo. how many worthwhile players did the pens even trade since the deadline? Carcillo? Whitney? Does Noah Welch or Christensen count? Yuck.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby NeddieVedder on Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:07 pm

Nizzy wrote:Jordan Leopold, Puck Moving Defenseman on a team that already had Gonchar (all he could do was move the Puck), Goligoski (all he could do was move the Puck), and Letang (all around player that can move the puck just fine). One for every pairing, but we needed another one? Why?

Because Jay McKee wasn't good enough to be in a good team's top 6 anymore.
NeddieVedder
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pugilist13 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:41 pm

This thread proves Shero has been a winner via the trade route.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:18 pm

How can we say the Michalek trade was good or bad if we haven't even played the season yet?

Kinda early, don't you think?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:34 pm

Every single trade ever proposed on LGP. :pop:
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:38 pm

Rylan wrote:Every single trade ever proposed on LGP. :pop:

Most of the trades end up with the pens grabbing a star for very little, so I would think they'd be among the best trades. Or maybe they're the worst trades because shero doesn't actually do them?
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rylan on Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:32 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:

Most of the trades end up with the pens grabbing a star for very little, so I would think they'd be among the best trades. Or maybe they're the worst trades because shero doesn't actually do them?

Good point :lol:
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:32 pm

MRandall25 wrote:How can we say the Michalek trade was good or bad if we haven't even played the season yet?

well, we pretty much gave away a top 4 d-man for spare parts and a mid round pick, in an effort to clear cap space that we ended up not using. in a vacuum, this trade isn't great
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:35 pm

Froggy wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:How can we say the Michalek trade was good or bad if we haven't even played the season yet?

well, we pretty much gave away a top 4 d-man for spare parts and a mid round pick, in an effort to clear cap space that we ended up not using. in a vacuum, this trade isn't great

But none of these "bad" trades would be THAT bad in a vacuum. You weren't looking at the others in a vacuum, so why should the Michalek one be different?

Again, season hasn't started. I'll reserve judgment for later. There is literally no impact as of now.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:42 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Froggy wrote:

But none of these "bad" trades would be THAT bad in a vacuum. You weren't looking at the others in a vacuum, so why should the Michalek one be different?

Again, season hasn't started. I'll reserve judgment for later. There is literally no impact as of now.

there is an impact. we don't have michalek anymore. and we didn't get back anything that really has a chance at ever sniffing our lineup.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:49 pm

Froggy wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
Froggy wrote:

there is an impact. we don't have michalek anymore. and we didn't get back anything that really has a chance at ever sniffing our lineup.

I'm surprised you know how the team will play without Michalek before the season starts.

Until they hit the ice, there is no way you can determine the magnitude of the impact. I don't care who the Pens have/don't have anymore. No games have been played yet.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:59 pm

Froggy wrote:there is an impact. we don't have michalek anymore. and we didn't get back anything that really has a chance at ever sniffing our lineup.

Pens seem pretty high on ruopp (in fact, he's that physical defensemen some posters are clamoring for), and they got an extra forward prospect in sundqvist. The pens may have not gotten much to help them this year, but you never know what will happen down the road.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby npv708 on Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:11 am

Last week, when I traded a Cross for some Bics.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:12 pm

HockeyDaddy wrote:
Nizzy wrote:The Staal trade, just because of getting Pouliot.

However Pouliot will be flipped at the deadline in a package for IGLINA.

so Jordan Staal for:

Sutter, Dumoulin, Iglina

eventually.

Nizzy, please tell me why I am supposed to hate Pouliot already.

Because they were supposed to draft the GREAT and FANTASTIC Forsberg ... who got sent back to his Swedish(?) team already.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:13 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:This shows Shero's prowess, no? I think Carcillo and pick for Laraque is mine.

I think so too. I look a canaan's list (fantastic btw, thanks) and I really don't see anything that makes me go OMG! You look at Carcillo for Laraque -- 1 can still play, the other is on Dancing with the Stars.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:16 pm

Froggy wrote:there is an impact. we don't have michalek anymore. and we didn't get back anything that really has a chance at ever sniffing our lineup.

Something can be said for having cap space during the season. There are rookies looking to make an impact too. I think we need to let things play out a little.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pressure=9Pa on Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:22 pm

We've traded Malkin at least 1,000 times. Does he get a silver hockey stick for that?
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Nizzy on Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:01 pm

Pouliot will never play 1 nhl game with the organization.

Write it down mikey.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mongoose87 on Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:04 pm

Nizzy wrote:Pouliot will never play 1 nhl game with the organization.

Write it down mikey.

Is this because we didn't draft Forsberg, because you think we reached for him, or because of some actual observation about his ability?
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:14 pm

Froggy wrote:
seabiscuit wrote:Michalek for a bag of pucks

yeah, it would have been great if we used the cap space we cleared, but in retrospect, not very good

Well, I think this is a "we'll see" situation. So far, we haven't used up the cap space, but we still might if we sign Doan.

Looking further down the road though, this cap space will probably be necessary. A few things could affect the Pens cap situation:

Ability to make solid trade deadline moves.
New CBA

We have a stockpile of Dmen, a couple of which may be looking to jump up, so this makes room. These prospects can't just sit down there forever.

Again though, there are still moves to be made. Still some UFAs available that can help the Pens.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:37 pm

Write it down mikey.

Noted. Care to make it interesting?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:18 pm

Write it down mikey.

I think with the way our D currently is and our large amount of D prospects, there's a good chance any prospect not named Despres, Harrington or Morrow, that any of them could be flipped in trade.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby seabiscuit on Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:49 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
Froggy wrote:

yeah, it would have been great if we used the cap space we cleared, but in retrospect, not very good

Well, I think this is a "we'll see" situation. So far, we haven't used up the cap space, but we still might if we sign Doan.

Looking further down the road though, this cap space will probably be necessary. A few things could affect the Pens cap situation:

New CBA

We have a stockpile of Dmen, a couple of which may be looking to jump up, so this makes room. These prospects can't just sit down there forever.

Again though, there are still moves to be made. Still some UFAs available that can help the Pens.

"we'll see" - but it doesnt look too good thus far.
seabiscuit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:52 pm

seabiscuit wrote:
Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
Froggy wrote:

New CBA

Beating a dead horse, here, but how can you say it doesn't look good if we haven't seen the team play yet? Don't give me the "vacuum" crap. Until the team hits the ice against the Islanders on October 12th, you cannot say anything one way or the other about the Michalek trade.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby seabiscuit on Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:59 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
seabiscuit wrote:
Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
Froggy wrote:

New CBA

Beating a dead horse, here, but how can you say it doesn't look good if we haven't seen the team play yet? Don't give me the "vacuum" crap. Until the team hits the ice against the Islanders on October 12th, you cannot say anything one way or the other about the Michalek trade.

So if we traded crosby for ryan whitney, you cannot say anything until October 12th?
seabiscuit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins