NHL Fan's Site Against Lockout - Needs Your Support...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: NHL Fan's Site Against Lockout - Needs Your Support...

Postby crayz on Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:53 pm

so you are saying the strike is over and the penguins are back on......i should boycott and not watch?
crayz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby interstorm on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:48 pm

crayz wrote:so you are saying the strike is over and the penguins are back on......i should boycott and not watch?

Not sure exactly what you are saying so I will take a shot at an answer.

I say we, as fans, should boycott the NHL's sponsors and not participate in direct NHL revenues (game attendance, pay per view viewing, merchandise) for at least as long as the strike lasted (starting when the league resumes). Many of the people who have spoken up thus far have voiced they are done with the NHL forever.
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:53 pm

You'll be back to the NHL in 2 days. You'll try to ignore it, see something about it, and you'll be hooked again
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby interstorm on Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:04 pm

MRandall25 wrote:You'll be back to the NHL in 2 days. You'll try to ignore it, see something about it, and you'll be hooked again

You can be certain I won't be. As a former Cleveland Browns fan (I was born there...nobody chooses to like the Browns) I have experience in lost fan interest. Once the team moved from Cleveland I have pretty much been disengaged from football. I still hold hope the strike will be over before October, at which point I will have some soul searching to do. I already know things will be different.
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:10 pm

Pretty big difference between having a team relocate and having a work stoppage.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby interstorm on Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:48 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Pretty big difference between having a team relocate and having a work stoppage.

?
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:53 pm

interstorm wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Pretty big difference between having a team relocate and having a work stoppage.

?

Losing interest after the team moved out of Cleveland is not the same as a league locking out the players. When the league comes back, you'll still have the Pens.

Apples and oranges.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby interstorm on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:02 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
interstorm wrote:

?

Losing interest after the team moved out of Cleveland is not the same as a league locking out the players. When the league comes back, you'll still have the Pens.

Apples and oranges.

I didn't follow the players to Baltimore and when Cleveland came back -- didn't following them either. The way I see it, that's apples to apples either way you cut it right there...
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby canaan on Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:32 am

can you clarify to me what the benefit of boycotting NHL sponsors will do in the process? Companies like Bridgestone arent exactly shelling out any money during the lockout so it seems like the idea just spites those that did support the league--the league that isnt exactly swimming in corporate sponsors. im missing the rational correlation.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby interstorm on Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:50 am

canaan wrote:can you clarify to me what the benefit of boycotting NHL sponsors will do in the process? Companies like Bridgestone arent exactly shelling out any money during the lockout so it seems like the idea just spites those that did support the league--the league that isnt exactly swimming in corporate sponsors. im missing the rational correlation.

If a focused effort was made by a large amount of people towards a business partner of the NHL that negatively impacted said sponsor, then future negotiations between the NHL and companies may be adversely affected. Hopefully a little movement can bring the NHL out of it's "wait for the NHLPA to crumble" mode so we can have hockey in October. It was a slightly different target path but look how demonstrations last year caused banks to repeal proposed fee increases. Large groups of people can create change, one just needs to break through their self-cynicism and believe in the power of the people.

It's ok if you're not interested, don't agree or don't see the value. I'd like your help and your voice, but I know where you stand. That's alright with me.

I know what I am doing is a long shot...but, you know, at least it is a shot.
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby canaan on Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:35 pm

so your goal is to hamper the NHL's positioning in money agreements later on down the road? that doesn't benefit either party.

that doesn't compute with me.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby interstorm on Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:01 pm

interstorm wrote:Hopefully a little movement can bring the NHL out of it's "wait for the NHLPA to crumble" mode so we can have hockey in October.
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:03 pm

canaan wrote:so your goal is to hamper the NHL's positioning in money agreements later on down the road? that doesn't benefit either party.

that doesn't compute with me.

Is this kind of like don't buy gas on x day but then buy it on y day making no difference?
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:16 pm

interstorm wrote:
interstorm wrote:Hopefully a little movement can bring the NHL out of it's "wait for the NHLPA to crumble" mode so we can have hockey in October.

im not understanding, and i apologize for my missing the point, what this even means.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:25 am

MRandall25 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:What we should do is them let know that we love hockey, not the NHL.

Help AHL arenas sell out.

Wilkes-Barre, Lake Erie, Hershey... go support the AHL.

And the ECHL as well. I'm planning to go to Wheeling more this season.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:08 pm

This fan's site really worked well,didn't it? :pop:
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:19 pm

Shelly Anderson tweeted there was a kid at the locked out Pens scrimmage this AM handing out flyers for a "Fans Protest Rally", Sept. 29, at all the NHL arenas around the league.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Great58 on Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:34 pm

Hopefully a little movement can bring the NHL out of it's "wait for the NHLPA to crumble" mode so we can have hockey in October.

How do we impact the NHLPA to negotiate? It's a two way street, and harming the financial good of the NHL may not ultimately benefit negotiations for a CBA, or the long-term strength of hockey for the fans.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby interstorm on Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:40 pm

llipgh2 wrote:Shelly Anderson tweeted there was a kid at the locked out Pens scrimmage this AM handing out flyers for a "Fans Protest Rally", Sept. 29, at all the NHL arenas around the league.

Wish I was there to shake the kid's hand. My activity isn't related to his...but I commend him for taking a stand.
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:53 pm

interstorm wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:Shelly Anderson tweeted there was a kid at the locked out Pens scrimmage this AM handing out flyers for a "Fans Protest Rally", Sept. 29, at all the NHL arenas around the league.

Wish I was there to shake the kid's hand. My activity isn't related to his...but I commend him for taking a stand.

She tweeted more, there is a Facebook page for it. Hocky Fans Unite Rally 2012

Which ironically has 66 likes...

Supposedly Sid, Craig F Adams and Joe Vitale will be there to speak to the crowd.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:08 pm

the bigger the protest, the more comfortable the NHL feels about its post-lockout viability
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:10 pm

skullman80 wrote:It's a nice gesture, but it's not going to make one lick of difference.

It's not even that nice a gesture. Its sort of immature and silly.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:13 pm

shmenguin wrote:the bigger the protest, the more comfortable the NHL feels about its post-lockout viability

This.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins