Bad news for the Pens

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Bad news for the Pens

Postby RxBandit66 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:14 pm

Sometimes players just have a bad season. Martin was good for stretches last season, so odds are he's not "washed up." But the fact that he was playing in a role he was not accustomed to, perhaps had an undisclosed injury, or even a simple lack of confidence could have been the reason why.

My guess is that he corrects the problem, to a large degree, this season. He's a veteran and a pro who came out of perhaps the best defensive system in the history of hockey. Odds favor him being better this season, just saying.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JoseCuervo on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:15 pm

James Neal on Martin

Paul seems to get a lot of unfair criticism from Pens fans. Is it frustrating to read that stuff?

It is frustrating. They give him such a hard time. Paulie goes out and does an unbelievable job every night. He does all the little things as a hockey player. Maybe he doesn’t score much, but you have to think about what he does in his own end, how good of a stick he has and how hard he is to play against. If you really know hockey, you’ll understand how smart and how skilled he is.

http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/Pittsburgh-Magazine/March-2012/The-Real-Deal-With-James-Neal/
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:35 pm

James Neal devotes significant time fixing his hair 10 minutes before he is set to put his helmet on to play.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:52 pm

I thought he was poor for the most part last season, hopefully he won't be this season. /analysis
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pressure=9Pa on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:20 pm

My current Paul Martin hate < My Ryan Whitney hate circa 2008
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:24 pm

I always liked Whitney, I don't really dislike Martin so much as I dislike his contract.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:28 pm

it seems martin is overpaid at $5mil/year, but he was making like $4.5mil/year in NJ as a top tier guy. Giving him a $500k raise to come here seems reasonable in a vacuum. I think the contract was fine based on expectations, but maybe not on what we ended up with for the most part so far. I don't think the $5mil/year is as obscene a number as some make it out to be.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kaizer on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:53 pm

based on the flyers series, they should all be cut.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:04 pm

I'm going to give Martin this season to see what he can put together with Orpik.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:44 pm

Froggy wrote:it seems martin is overpaid at $5mil/year, but he was making like $4.5mil/year in NJ as a top tier guy. Giving him a $500k raise to come here seems reasonable in a vacuum. I think the contract was fine based on expectations, but maybe not on what we ended up with for the most part so far. I don't think the $5mil/year is as obscene a number as some make it out to be.

For a legit top 4 d-man it certainly is not too much. You make a good point that Martin has simply underperformed since he has arrived in Pittsburgh, so it's more a case of his ROI being very poor as a Penguin so far. His last year in Jersey was not that way at all, and he needs to regain at least a portion of that good form if he wants to remain a top flight defender in the NHL.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby neophool on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:08 am

Emma Watson.
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins