Very unlikely, but Yakupov to Pens proposed as remote option

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Very unlikely, but Yakupov to Pens proposed as remote option

Postby hockeyspy on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:23 pm

In this article:

The Case For (& Against) Trading Nail Yakupov
Link: http://thehockeywriters.com/the-case-fo ... l-yakupov/

Why the Edmonton Oilers should indeed trade Yakupov before he even suits up for the club. The time is now to help in the evolution of the Oil. Tambo would likely never do such a thing but article outlines why it would be best for the club going forward.

Some arguments for holding on to him presented as well. Finally, 5 potential trade dance partners looked at, with the Capitals one more for entertainment purposes.

The Penguins blueline depth was mentioned as reason citing them as one of the options.

All hypothetical of course, but any thoughts on this?
hockeyspy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Very unlikely, but Yakupov to Pens proposed as remote op

Postby DelPen on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:24 pm

We can't give up anything that won't severely hurt us in other areas.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:27 pm

I assume the oilers would require Letang in return.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby thepittman on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:30 pm

We don't need him
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:37 pm

I watched a ton of the World Juniors and felt he was like the 6th best C there. He really disappeared in games.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thepittman on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:40 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:I watched a ton of the World Juniors and felt he was like the 6th best C there. He really disappeared in games.

I wasn't impressed either, but it's hard to tell the skill of someone in these world tournaments. They really don't have time to build chemistry with their line-mates. It's basically a better format all-star game.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:45 pm

There's only one puck...he's not the type of player we could use versus the cost in assets it would take to get him. We can make a smarter trade, even if it's for a lesser sexy name...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:49 pm

mikey287 wrote:There's only one puck...he's not the type of player we could use versus the cost in assets it would take to get him. We can make a smarter trade, even if it's for a lesser sexy name...

I wouldn't even look at making an impact trade until after this offseason. There are going to be a number of players who will be bought out and could be had for less than market value. I'd like to see what those options are.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:54 pm

I don't disagree with that. Similarly, I'd explore the trade market this year too in case there's a small market team that is in a position to buy out a player but doesn't want to pay for it. "Hey, I'll give you Kuhnhackl and a 4th, and you make this guy's salary our problem" and then he either works for us or we just buy him out...it's almost like a sneak preview, except it costs money in real dollars to execute if we're wrong...but since it won't count against the cap, it doesn't effect me haha...not my wallet...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:56 pm

mikey287 wrote:I don't disagree with that. Similarly, I'd explore the trade market this year too in case there's a small market team that is in a position to buy out a player but doesn't want to pay for it. "Hey, I'll give you Kuhnhackl and a 4th, and you make this guy's salary our problem" and then he either works for us or we just buy him out...it's almost like a sneak preview, except it costs money in real dollars to execute if we're wrong...but since it won't count against the cap, it doesn't effect me haha...not my wallet...

That is a good point. A team like TB might choose to trade a guy like Vinny Lecavalier and get an asset or two rather than spending the money to buy him out.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby no name on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:08 pm

I can't even see Edmonton entertaining this idea. I have a hard time talking about it since it seems so remote.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby largegarlic on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:15 pm

mikey287 wrote:I don't disagree with that. Similarly, I'd explore the trade market this year too in case there's a small market team that is in a position to buy out a player but doesn't want to pay for it. "Hey, I'll give you Kuhnhackl and a 4th, and you make this guy's salary our problem" and then he either works for us or we just buy him out...it's almost like a sneak preview, except it costs money in real dollars to execute if we're wrong...but since it won't count against the cap, it doesn't effect me haha...not my wallet...

This is kind of what I was thinking in the thread about the rumor that the Pens would trade for Malone. There are probably a fair number of players around the league like Malone, i.e. solid 2nd-line forwards or 2nd-pairing defensemen who make too much given the cap for next year and would be likely candidates for buy-outs. The Pens could certainly fit one or two of these players under the cap for this season and buy them out in the summer. Assuming the buy-out money isn't an issue, why wouldn't the Pens look into doing something like this if they don't to give up much?
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:18 pm

With regard to the original topic, it's obviously extremely unlikely that Edmonton trades Yakupov at this point, but at some point, it's going to make sense for Edmonton to trade some of their young offensive talent for young defensive talent (and of course the Pens are in the reverse situation). I expect we'll hear plenty of Edmonton-Pittsburgh trade rumors in the next several years.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:22 pm

largegarlic wrote:

This is kind of what I was thinking in the thread about the rumor that the Pens would trade for Malone. There are probably a fair number of players around the league like Malone, i.e. solid 2nd-line forwards or 2nd-pairing defensemen who make too much given the cap for next year and would be likely candidates for buy-outs. The Pens could certainly fit one or two of these players under the cap for this season and buy them out in the summer. Assuming the buy-out money isn't an issue, why wouldn't the Pens look into doing something like this if they don't to give up much?

I would think the buyout money would be an issue. The Penguins aren't necessarily rolling in cash, despite the fact that Burkle is a rich, rich man. I can't imagine he'd be willing to approve a trade for an experiment, a contract that was perceived by another team to be too much. If it doesn't work and the Pens buy out the player, they're paying real money to a player that had warning signs all over him. Conversely, if the Penguins are patient and wait until summer, they could get a similar player on a one or two year contract at a much discounted price. While not an immediate help, it makes much more sense.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:24 pm

I was about to say something about that. I don't think the Pens can just spend money like that. Maybe buy a guy that has 2 million this year and one million next. Not someone with 5 million over the rest of the contract after this season like Malone has.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:25 pm

Paying for other teams' mistakes seems like a really bad idea.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:29 pm

Defence21 wrote:
largegarlic wrote:

I would think the buyout money would be an issue. The Penguins aren't necessarily rolling in cash, despite the fact that Burkle is a rich, rich man. I can't imagine he'd be willing to approve a trade for an experiment, a contract that was perceived by another team to be too much. If it doesn't work and the Pens buy out the player, they're paying real money to a player that had warning signs all over him. Conversely, if the Penguins are patient and wait until summer, they could get a similar player on a one or two year contract at a much discounted price. While not an immediate help, it makes much more sense.

it would certainly put the legitimacy of the lockout into question if middle class teams start making moves like this
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:38 pm

Secondly, if Malone does work out in that scenario, you still have to buy him out because the cap dramatically drops next season. And then you waste the time developing chemistry. It's not a very attractive best case scenario. Some teams might have the cap space to go this route, but not the Pens.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby beLIEve on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:39 pm

Malone's contract (assuming Tampa even wants to trade him) is structured such that he's the perfect candidate for a team in the opposite situation as Pittsburgh. That is, a team without a lot of actual money to spend and is looking to come in right around the salary cap floor. He'll have a 4.5 million cap hit for the final 2 years of his contract, yet he only costs 2.5 million per year in real dollars. No buyout necessary.
beLIEve
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby mikey287 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:41 pm

I don't disagree, either, with the notion that we shouldn't readily inherit problem salaries. But you can make a calculated decision and if it doesn't work out, you get a mulligan - of varying expense. I'm not sure about a Lecavalier type, but someone that is reasonable in cost wouldn't sink the franchise I wouldn't think...who knows, maybe the Leafs and Rangers will subsidize it for us with revenue sharing!

Remember too, salary retention exists in trades now. We might not necessarily being eating an entire contract even with a compliance buyout...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:42 pm

pcm wrote:Secondly, if Malone does work out in that scenario, you still have to buy him out because the cap dramatically drops next season. And then you waste the time developing chemistry. It's not a very attractive best case scenario. Some teams might have the cap space to go this route, but not the Pens.

What is the cap for next season?
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby beLIEve on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:43 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
pcm wrote:Secondly, if Malone does work out in that scenario, you still have to buy him out because the cap dramatically drops next season. And then you waste the time developing chemistry. It's not a very attractive best case scenario. Some teams might have the cap space to go this route, but not the Pens.

$64.3 Million
beLIEve
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:43 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:

$64.3 mil
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby largegarlic on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:48 pm

Yeah, I'm not wedded to idea of trying to trade for other team's bad contracts for the reasons some of you mention. I was just trying to think of ways for the Pens to make use of their current relatively large amount of cap space without crippling them going forward. I don't want to see another year of the Cup window go by the wayside if there are things that could be done to improve this team's chances.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:50 pm

That's my main thought process. The Cup window won't be opened forever. You never know what can happen...you gotta plan ahead, but you gotta plan to win too...it's a difficult balance...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins