Shero's talk with the media today is up on the Pens website.http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=650151&navid=DL|PIT|home#shero
A few tidbits:
- The cap will never go below 64.3m. That is news to me. I thought the artificial floor for next year was a one year thing, but it appears it will always be at least 64.3m, the 2011-2012 salary cap.
- In regards to our logjam of defensemen, Shero is open to the possibility of starting the year with 8, but specifically said we will not have 9. It's obvious they wouldn't carry 9 defensemen, but the fact he specifically said that is telling. It shows Simon Despres has a legitimate shot of making this team, and Ray is willing to move a guy (or two) from the waiver eligible list to make it happen.
- In that same response, he also specifically mentioned Despres does not need waivers, and Strait, Bortuzzo and Lovejoy do need waivers. Again, we all knew that, but I think the fact he mentioned those 4 specifically tells me its down to those 4 for 2 or maybe three spots. The fact that Engo wasn't mentioned by name tells me Shero has written his name in ink on the final roster.
- Ray also seemed very pleased with Beau Bennett and believes he is ahead of the curve on his development, especially considering his injury issues at Denver limited his game time.
- He specifically mentioned Jeffrey's time in Europe as a good thing for him to get a lot of playing time to hopefully get back to where he was before the injury