OFFICIAL Gameday Thread: Penguins @ Flyers 1/19/13

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: OFFICIAL Gameday Thread: Penguins @ Flyers 1/19/13

Postby DropEmJayBird on Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:30 am

Two things

How many times did Penguins get kicked out of the faceoff circle?

One area the officials could improve upon in "calling a closer game" is the amount of contact Flyer players made with Fleury while he was making a save. I'm not talking about a scrum in front of the net for a loose puck, I'm talking about 2 or 3 times Fluery challenged a shot only to have a flyer run into him from side.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pens15 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:38 am

I'll take the two points but I think Philly is still a bad match-up for the Pens. They totally controlled the final 40 minutes and the Pens were fortunate to escape with the win. Philly's combination of skill, size and physicality up front is really tough for our smallish defense to deal with.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby iceolater on Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:56 am

Great win for the Pens. Lots of positives from Sid looking heslthy to Paul Martin showing us why RS went and signed him. Sutter in time will show us why Staal is replaceable and like the Neal for GoGo trade, will in time be one sided in our favorite. Tanner Glass helps take off the pressure of Cooke being the only pesky player on the team. Thought Kunitz played notnup to par besides the empty netter. Despres was vulnerable and exposed but he is still lesrning. MAF was solid in net and kudos for the staff for keeping the shifts short. Great win and Flyers in last place has a great ring to it all.
iceolater
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sarcastic on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:25 pm

Fire0nice228 wrote:Highest scoring team in the league last year

You know, I think that's a bit overstated and why I never agree with people who say we don't need another scoring winger. If you have a team with 3 scoring lines, chances are one of them will put a timely goal in. If you have a team like Pens with 2 superstars, 1 star, and not much else of a threat, if one of them has a bad night or a team targets in on him and shuts him down, it can get difficult. I was hoping Bennett would come in and add a few goals but he hasn't played yet. I personally would have tried adding a scorer in FA, then again maybe Shero is thinking he can swing a deal in exchange for one of our stud D prospects for a good winger before playoffs.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:30 pm

Pens15 wrote:I'll take the two points but I think Philly is still a bad match-up for the Pens. They totally controlled the final 40 minutes and the Pens were fortunate to escape with the win. Philly's combination of skill, size and physicality up front is really tough for our smallish defense to deal with.

I agree and I will continue to say we need more size and more nasty on the back end.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:38 pm

Flyers missed Briere. If he played we probably lose since he'd have helped go at least 20% on the PP.

The drop off in play after the first, again, vs the Flyers was also a huge concern, Bylsma has yet to demonstrate he can make in game adjustments against Laviolette.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:53 pm

I was going to say they were missing Briere and that the little guy scares me. When I look at his stats, I see he isn't as consistent in regular season games anymore, but he still finds a way to play great when it matters and I've seen him screw us up enough to not include him in the conversation.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby stonewizard51 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:53 pm

DelPen wrote:Flyers missed Briere. If he played we probably lose since he'd have helped go at least 20% on the PP.

The drop off in play after the first, again, vs the Flyers was also a huge concern, Bylsma has yet to demonstrate he can make in game adjustments against Laviolette.

IMHO the drop off in play after the first is their rule of thumb. It just seems to be more obvious against Philly. I agree with Bylsma needing to make in game adjustments. It would seem he's made a living out of that and it needs to stop.
stonewizard51
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sarcastic on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:55 pm

Flyers were notorious last year for starting off slow, getting behind, then getting better and dominating opponents in the end. Not saying they dominated us, but they did pick up some. So I'm not sure if it was a drop off on our part or if it was that Philly decided to play better.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins