OFFICIAL GDT: PENS at Rangers, 1/20/13

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: OFFICIAL GDT: PENS at Rangers, 1/20/13

Postby PghSkins on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:14 pm

thepittman wrote:I'm not ready to judge anyone after two games. Hell Crosby has been a bum so far. Just give these guys some games to get something going. It's not like they are losing games for us or being a liability.

This (except the Crosby bum part- he's done pretty much everything but get a point). I have trouble getting too upset about anything with this 2-0 record. They have not played close to their best for the most part yet they've beaten their two biggest rivals on the road in the first 2 games of the season. These will matter when the final seeds are decided.

Good team effort so far, I'm pleased.
Last edited by PghSkins on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:15 pm

pens_CT wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
mikey287 wrote:I'm not saying Tangradi looks good out there, but what happens if Bennett takes more than 2 games to adjust to being a top-six forward in the NHL? Do we go back to Tangradi or call up Veilleux?

They've also got a full roster (13F + 8D + 2G) which means they'd have to basically hand Tangradi or Jeffrey over on waivers (neither would clear to make room for a call up.

The little dog's days are numbered as a Pen.

I just don't see the Pens being keen on putting their #2 forward prospect on waivers.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens_CT on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:18 pm

tfrizz wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
mikey287 wrote:I'm not saying Tangradi looks good out there, but what happens if Bennett takes more than 2 games to adjust to being a top-six forward in the NHL? Do we go back to Tangradi or call up Veilleux?

They've also got a full roster (13F + 8D + 2G) which means they'd have to basically hand Tangradi or Jeffrey over on waivers (neither would clear to make room for a call up.

The little dog's days are numbered as a Pen.

I just don't see the Pens being keen on putting their #2 forward prospect on waivers.

I'd argue that he isn't their #2 forward prospect based on ability or potential.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:23 pm

I'm not trying to be too hard on Tangradi but at this point i see no progression in his game. How many games at the NHL level has he played over the past 24 months? 20 or 30? Something like that? Well, he's the same dude tonight as he was in his NHL debut... invisible.

I'm not saying send him down yet. Someone pointed out to me earlier in the topic that he has to clear waivers. Give him 10 to 15 game and see where he is then. But, as things stand now i expect after those ten to 15 games for him to be placed on waivers and to be picked up by some other team with a more east/west system in place. He can play but i just don't think he can skate enough to find space in this system.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:28 pm

Bioshock wrote:I'm not trying to be too hard on Tangradi but at this point i see no progression in his game. How many games at the NHL level has he played over the past 24 months? 20 or 30? Something like that? Well, he's the same dude tonight as he was in his NHL debut... invisible.

I'm not saying send him down yet. Someone pointed out to me earlier in the topic that he has to clear waivers. Give him 10 to 15 game and see where he is then. But, as things stand now i expect after those ten to 15 games for him to be placed on waivers and to be picked up by some other team with a more east/west system in place. He can play but i just don't think he can skate enough to find space in this system.

Unfortunately he's a slightly more skilled version of Luca Caputi. Some other organization will give him a chance at the NHL level, and like Caputi he will eventually end up back in the minors.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:36 pm

He's without a doubt a step behind the action, I'm not going to sit here and boldface lie to anyone and say, "he's looking good or he's this or that" - he's unsure, he has no confidence, he's just trying his best not to screw up. Those are some tight hands on that stick right now. He's playing on a top line with one of the best players in the world and it's not an easy adjustment for someone that has just AHL minutes and half of a season as a fourth liner. Craig Adams doesn't play at as fast a pace as Evgeni Malkin, it's an obvious point, but it doesn't detract from the adjustment.

Would I like to see Tangradi getting more involved, show some more potential to be a fit on the line and in the role? Absolutely I would. He needs to get a confidence goal or something, get something to go right for him and then you'll see what he's made of...if it's still no good after that, then, well, it's no good...no big deal, you move on...

It's unfortunate that the name is "Tangradi" because if it's any other name that was simmering in the AHL or on the fourth line for a while, people would be like, "oh come on, give the kid a chance...he could score 30+30 with Crosby like every other winger in the NHL" and then when he finally gets a chance, he plays two games with Evgeni Malkin and it's like "who gave this kid a chance?!!!?!? Come on...get rid of him...every other winger is capable of scoring 30+30 with Malkin...'cept him! Boo!"

Again, he doesn't look good out there...but what do you want to do? Waive him? Scratch him so he doesn't develop at all anywhere?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GDR on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:43 pm

PghSkins wrote:
thepittman wrote:I'm not ready to judge anyone after two games. Hell Crosby has been a bum so far. Just give these guys some games to get something going. It's not like they are losing games for us or being a liability.

This (except the Crosby bum part- he's done pretty much everything but get a point). I have trouble getting too upset about anything with this 2-0 record. They have not played close to their best for the most part yet they've beaten their two biggest rivals on the road in the first 2 games of the season. These will matter when the final seeds are decided.

Good team effort so far, I'm pleased.

I don't know if I'd use the word bum but he's been trying and failing on a lot of passes that he simply shouldn't be making. The timing will come back but not giving the puck away on bad passes up the middle or bad cross-ice passes would be a positive first step.
GDR
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:45 pm

How long does the expirement last, though? 5 games? 10? Can't see them giving him much more time than that with the compressed season. But then again, I have no idea who would take his place. Maybe Sutter gets a bump.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GDR on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:49 pm

shmenguin wrote:But then again, I have no idea who would take his place.

Tyler Kennedy. Contract year, use him in the top six while he's scoring.
GDR
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:50 pm

mikey287 wrote:He's without a doubt a step behind the action, I'm not going to sit here and boldface lie to anyone and say, "he's looking good or he's this or that" - he's unsure, he has no confidence, he's just trying his best not to screw up. Those are some tight hands on that stick right now. He's playing on a top line with one of the best players in the world and it's not an easy adjustment for someone that has just AHL minutes and half of a season as a fourth liner. Craig Adams doesn't play at as fast a pace as Evgeni Malkin, it's an obvious point, but it doesn't detract from the adjustment.

Would I like to see Tangradi getting more involved, show some more potential to be a fit on the line and in the role? Absolutely I would. He needs to get a confidence goal or something, get something to go right for him and then you'll see what he's made of...if it's still no good after that, then, well, it's no good...no big deal, you move on...

It's unfortunate that the name is "Tangradi" because if it's any other name that was simmering in the AHL or on the fourth line for a while, people would be like, "oh come on, give the kid a chance...he could score 30+30 with Crosby like every other winger in the NHL" and then when he finally gets a chance, he plays two games with Evgeni Malkin and it's like "who gave this kid a chance?!!!?!? Come on...get rid of him...every other winger is capable of scoring 30+30 with Malkin...'cept him! Boo!"

Again, he doesn't look good out there...but what do you want to do? Waive him? Scratch him so he doesn't develop at all anywhere?

We wouldn't be having this conversation had he been a 6th round pick.

One could say he was taken in the 2nd round because he has more promise than your average complete longshot. I don't doubt that the Ducks thought that at the time of his drafting, but that's hardly much to hang your hat on in 2013.

It's not the fans fault that Shero didn't have a better contingency plan for Malkin's LW and I don't see the need to make excuses for that slug.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:52 pm

shmenguin wrote:How long does the expirement last, though? 5 games? 10? Can't see them giving him much more time than that with the compressed season. But then again, I have no idea who would take his place. Maybe Sutter gets a bump.

It's gotta be allowed to have some time...I don't know the answer to the exact number, but I know it's not 2. Joe Thornton played 21 scoreless games to start his NHL career after being a #1 overall pick, I mean, again, Tangradi is no Thornton, but you gotta give it a chance especially because the alternative(s) is no prize pig himself...Dustin Jeffrey? He's just as likely to be a Quadruple-A player at this point as Tangradi is to being a 4th liner for his career...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bioshock on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:54 pm

All this being said, when our biggest complaint is that Tangradi isn't playing like a prospect should, then i think our team is doing well.

Look at Paul Martin. Totally different dude when playing the right side. That and Sutter are my two biggest bright spots so far. Having Martin actually be.... GOOD is i think the biggest single difference in this team right now.

Well... maybe the health of the team too. *Knocks on wood*
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:55 pm

since I missed the game ill post on an important game related rant. I would unfollow Dejan from twitter if it wasn't so darn entertaining

He kept referring to the rangers as the predicted champs and making fun of that basically.

First it two games into the season, second plenty of well respected pubs picked the Pens and third wasn't it Dejan who all but guaranteed the cup right before the playoffs?

I know random but I was trying to following things while out. I actually get better news from random fans.

Anyways good win and thanks to everyone on here for their thoughts on the game.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:59 pm

It's not a matter of making excuses...Tangradi looks like a big sack of dog vomit out there...but what did Mike Knuble look like - a career 4th liner for the first six years of his career - when he was stuffed on to Joe Thornton's line after 2 games in Boston...?

I just don't know what the alternative is...why not see it through more than a couple dozen shifts...you invest this time into developing a prospect and then it finally comes to fruition and then two games into it, that's it, so long, good luck? (I don't recall saying good luck) - what do you want happen? Disrupt the lineup by moving Sutter up? So take one problem in the lineup and multiply it by at least 2. Bring Jeffrey in and scratch Tangradi, but what happens if Jeffrey doesn't score on his first shift? Waive both?

It's not pretty, but honestly, what can you do two games into a season?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DesertPenguin on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:00 am

Give Tangradi 10 - 15 games on the Malkin line before throwing in the towel. Make no mistake, this is his shot, and if he misses, we move on. But give him a fair shake. After that, we try jeffrey, then bennett, and if no one sticks we trade at the deadline. Until then, we wait and see
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby guiner on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:00 am

Its real simple. Tangradi doesn't have NHL skating, he doesn't have NHL hands, he doesn't seem to have any hockey sense. He is not physical. So far I have not seen him demonstrate any redeeming qualities. There are plenty of players who show glimpses or promise or potential, and never make it. He doesn't stand a chance.

Absolutely the only thing separating him from any other player in WB, was his draft position and how he was acquired. He certainly has never demonstrated anything on the ice to warrant the interest or playing time he has received.
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:03 am

Give him 10 to 15 games and we will see where he stands then.

Do i think he will make it? No...

Do i think he should get the chance to? Hell yes...
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thepittman on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:06 am

Tangradi isn't a problem, I still fail to see why you guys are crucifying him already. You would think that he was potting goals into his own net every game.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:08 am

thepittman wrote:Tangradi isn't a problem, I still fail to see why you guys are crucifying him already. You would think that he was potting goals into his own net every
game.

This board lives to complain.
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Bioshock on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:11 am

thepittman wrote:Tangradi isn't a problem, I still fail to see why you guys are crucifying him already. You would think that he was potting goals into his own net every game.

Not really. He just isn't performing at a high enough level to be a top 6 guy. And his track record says we will continue to see nothing in terms of changing this fact.

But, it's early and the consensus seems to be that he should be given more time because two games is an unrealistic evaluation time.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thepittman on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:14 am

Bioshock wrote:
thepittman wrote:Tangradi isn't a problem, I still fail to see why you guys are crucifying him already. You would think that he was potting goals into his own net every game.

Not really. He just isn't performing at a high enough level to be a top 6 guy. And his track record says we will continue to see nothing in terms of changing this fact.

But, it's early and the consensus seems to be that he should be given more time because two games is an unrealistic evaluation time.

Of course it's unrealistic, its lunacy to suggest otherwise.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:16 am

I mean, it sucks, the poor kid must be scared to death out there. It's a rush-rush thing. One day you're a line with Wyatt Smith or whoever down in the AHL, next thing you know you're on national television in your hometown playing on the top line of the top team in the top league in the world...some players might jump to that and go, "yeah, well, watch this!" and some might go out there and just try not to make an ass of themselves...Tangradi is the latter. These coaches had six days to throw it all together, no preseason, no nothing...let the coaching staff get a hold of the situation before they instruct the GM to dump a player...

If we got to 1-5-1 and Malkin had 3 points on the year because Tangradi was weighing him down, then yeah, ok, let's figure out a new plan...but we're 2-0, 9:4, we're looking alright after two tough road games back to back...there's no panic, there's no "back to the drawing board", it's all positive, it's all improvement from the coaching staff to the players. Tweaks, minor adjustments and forward progress. The wheel does not need re-inventing.

If Tangradi still looks completely useless in game 6, game 8, game 10 and there's absolutely nothing being added to his game, well, then you need to re-evaluate what the game plan is. He doesn't have to have 7 points in his next 5 games to be considered a success, he needs to show that there's a spark, a glimmer of hope, a chance of potential, a chance for growth. I'd agree the prospects of that are dim at the moment, but we invested in this kid, let's give it a real try before we throw it in the dumpster after two wins...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:19 am

GDR wrote:
shmenguin wrote:But then again, I have no idea who would take his place.

Tyler Kennedy. Contract year, use him in the top six while he's scoring.

Kennedy is going to pretty much get the same production where ever you put him, so it's pointless to put him with Malkin when he'll be just as productive with Sutter.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:32 am

DesertPenguin wrote:Give Tangradi 10 - 15 games on the Malkin line before throwing in the towel. Make no mistake, this is his shot, and if he misses, we move on. But give him a fair shake. After that, we try jeffrey, then bennett, and if no one sticks we trade at the deadline. Until then, we wait and see

This. Is. The. Plan.
End of discussion.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:40 am

Mikey come on. This is not 2 games. This kid has a three year track record of not being able to step up in any situation on any line and has faded in the AHL as well. The argument was that he is still young and he never got a chance. He has now played two games with Geno and Neal and contributed nothing.

I read in another of your posts how he is perhaps overwhelmed by the enormity of this?

I don't know why you or anyone would be making excuses for him, but with you as an aspiring scout - don't you look for kids who rise to the occassion? This guy is a complete dud, and stop bringing up Mike Knuble. That is a one in tens of thousands story and you could use it to justify playing a folding chair.

As I correctly pointed out in another thread, if youth and size were a reason to hand a bum a top 6 audition Steve McIntyre should have gotten his back when.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins