Bastion of Sanity thread (My thoughts after 2 games)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Bastion of Sanity thread (My thoughts after 2 games)

Postby thepittman on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:55 pm

Intro and Goaltending-

Pens are off to a great start this season. There hasn't been any real breakdowns after 2 games against the best teams in our division. The addition of Vokoun to our lineup I believe will be a game changer for the team. Having a real goaltender to split duty with Fleury is something this team has really needed. Throughout the past few seasons he has been overworked and really had nothing left for the playoffs. The best thing about Vokoun is that he was a steal, he wanted to play for a legitimate contender and most likely took less than he is worth to share duty with 29. This net-minding duo may be the best the Penguins franchise has ever seen. I'm excited to see the results.

Defense-

The defense has a good combination of youth and grizzled veterans. Orpiks performance last night showed that some of this underlying injuries have subsided and he was playing like our free candy dealer we know and love. Martin has looked competent so far out of the gate and hopefully this trend continues. Letang, there really isn't much to say about him besides thank you for being a Pittsburgh Penguin. He averages around 25 minutes time on ice for us, provides a serious offensive threat, and understands his defensive roll on the team very well. He can out skate most of the league and is a joy to watch every single game he plays. Nisky is back to being a solid defender, adding to scoring, and makes our deal for James Neal and him look comical. Engelland has looked sketchy a few times, but his extra grit added to the team is hard to replace. He hasn't been a real liability and his duel rolls between enforcer and competent defenseman is hard to replace. Also last season he found the back of the net a few times so lets hope this trend continues. I believe as long as he is paired with someone counteract his faults he should have another fine season.

The younger guys so far haven't done anything to really be disappointed with. They have maintained proper positioning and no serious :face: moments have reared their ugly head yet. This will have to be discussed in more detail as the season unfolds.

Offense-

What is there really to say here? Malkin is dishing pucks out and racking up points while freeing up space for James Neal to look godlike, Sid is winning face-offs and slowly getting things running. It's hard to be critical of Sid because we played two of the best teams in the league and their main defensive strategy is "Stop Sid and Geno". We should see the ice open up for him more once we start facing lesser opponents and hopefully pucks start finding the back of the net for him. Once more of this confidence returns, I believe he will be more effective against the top tier teams.

All of our roll playing forwards look off to a good start. Kennedy is back to getting his flukey goals, Dupuis is all over the ice and working to the bone for the team, and Kunitz is back to where he left off with hard work on the boards.

Sutter is looking like a great addition to the team only 2 games in. He has good defensive awareness and looks to be an offensive threat as well. I'm real excited to see his career bloom in Pittsburgh and we are lucky to have him.

James Neal is the real deal, nuff said.

The Vitale and Jeffrey battle will carry out over the season and it's a good one to have because the both have been good talent for us in the lower lines.

Everyone else hasn't done anything wrong so it's really hard to be critical of them. Cooke and Adams are back to doing what they do best and the youth need at least 20 games for a good evaluation of the talent at the NHL level.

Let's Go Pens! :fist:
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Bastion of Sanity thread (My thoughts after 2 games)

Postby Drewski17 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:59 pm

there is no reason jeffery should dress over vitale if he (vitale) is healthy imo
Drewski17
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thepittman on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:06 pm

Drewski17 wrote:there is no reason jeffery should dress over vitale if he (vitale) is healthy imo

I just think it's short memory for some of the pens fans. Jeffrey has been a competent performer and the coaching staff is trying to get him back into the fight after a string of unfortunate injuries for him. I also believe that Vitale may be the better player, but there isn't reason for the coaching staff to stop evaluating players IMO. This might change after an ass kicking in the games to come, but I think some juggling will continue if we maintain a winning record.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DesertPenguin on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:07 pm

I believe Jeffrey was in over Vitale because he kills penalties, and we expected the game vs the Flyers to have a lot of Pk time. Id like to see him on the ice more though, but the only guy other than Tangradi that he could potentially displace is Adams, and CFA has been good on the Pk thus far. Tangradi will get his 10 games before DB thinks about moving him.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:09 pm

Drewski17 wrote:there is no reason jeffery should dress over vitale if he (vitale) is healthy imo

I believe 100% that we would be a better team with Vitale centering the 4th line and Jeffrey skating on Left Wing with Malkin and Neal. He has all the characteristics that the line can use. He is big enough. He can work the corners. He is defensively capable of helping so that Malkin and Neal can be the offense. He has shown that he can score the "greasy" goals. He can even be a 2nd faceoff guy on that line if Geno gets booted.

I know he had a HORRIBLE game 1. I know he struggled last year after the knee injury. I also know that if there is someone we should be exhausting as the option on that line it should be him and not Tangradi.

In Tangradi's defense - he didn't make two terrible passes in the defensive zone in Game 1, but that is because he so rarely gets to a loose puck.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Beveridge on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:12 pm

I can't wait for the mini losing streak to happen to see this board. That's when the fun begins.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thepittman on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:15 pm

Beveridge wrote:I can't wait for the mini losing streak to happen to see this board. That's when the fun begins.

Yeah this place goes into meltdown mode after any lost game. Look at the criticisms after convincingly beating two of the arguably best teams in the league :lol:
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:21 pm

thepittman wrote:
Beveridge wrote:I can't wait for the mini losing streak to happen to see this board. That's when the fun begins.

Yeah this place goes into meltdown mode after any lost game. Look at the criticisms after convincingly beating two of the arguably best teams in the league :lol:

No major criticism of the team that I have read? The team has looked really good to start. If this is where you want to go with it, feel free. This is as unfounded as the whole "spoiled season ticket holder" line of discussion.

There are only 48 games to cement the team and roles for what should be a Cup run. No reason not to discuss a few things that can be tweaked now instead of waiting.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:22 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
I believe 100% that we would be a better team with Vitale centering the 4th line and Jeffrey skating on Left Wing with Malkin and Neal. He has all the characteristics that the line can use. He is big enough. He can work the corners. He is defensively capable of helping so that Malkin and Neal can be the offense. He has shown that he can score the "greasy" goals. He can even be a 2nd faceoff guy on that line if Geno gets booted.

I know he had a HORRIBLE game 1. I know he struggled last year after the knee injury. I also know that if there is someone we should be exhausting as the option on that line it should be him and not Tangradi.

In Tangradi's defense - he didn't make two terrible passes in the defensive zone in Game 1, but that is because he so rarely gets to a loose puck.

I'm in agreement with this.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby no name on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:27 pm

Vitale plays a 4th line roll perfectly. Jefferies doesn't play a 4th line game as well. Vitale can't be moved into a 3rd or higher roll if you would need him. Jefferys game can be raised to play a 3rd or even higher roll. This is of course my opinion. If our line up is healthy, Sit Jefferys, let Vitale play that 4th line center. If you get a injury Jefferys will be needed, to fill in any roll you would need 3rd line and up. I like having Jefferys for that 3rd line center if you ever wanted to try Sutter in a top 6 roll, you got a 3rd line center.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:29 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:

And I hope I am 100% wrong. There is no evidence that Tangradi should work, which is why it concerns me so much that the coaching staff goes there. I was not one of the "coaching staff failed to adjust in the last two playoffs" crowd - but this move calls their judgement into serious negative focus. It at best desperate and at worst stupid.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:41 pm

thepittman wrote:

I just think it's short memory for some of the pens fans. Jeffrey has been a competent performer and the coaching staff is trying to get him back into the fight after a string of unfortunate injuries for him. I also believe that Vitale may be the better player, but there isn't reason for the coaching staff to stop evaluating players IMO. This might change after an ass kicking in the games to come, but I think some juggling will continue if we maintain a winning record.

i agree. Before his injury Jeffrey was looking extremely good he had some really big goals. I think its very unfair to judge him from one game in Philly. Id rather have JEffrey on the second line than Tangradi right now. Give him a legit chance and im sure he will prove people wrong. But having him and Vitale compete is def a good thing if we have any injuries (knock on wood). People need to give him time
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sniper on Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:02 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:

And I hope I am 100% wrong. There is no evidence that Tangradi should work, which is why it concerns me so much that the coaching staff goes there. I was not one of the "coaching staff failed to adjust in the last two playoffs" crowd - but this move calls their judgement into serious negative focus. It at best desperate and at worst stupid.

I think Shero and the coaching staff talked before the season started and they decided then to give Tangradi a shot because they know if he goes on waivers he'll be picked up. I don't think he's earned it and I do believe before we reach the 1/4 point of the season we will see either Jeffrey or Bennett there and Tangradi will be gone, benched or on a lower line due to injury. I hope I'm wrong and he improves and shows he is at least capable of being there, but I don't see it happening. He's played 40+ NHL games and I honestly can't tell you if his shot is any good or not because I can't recall him ever actually taking one (I looked it up he has 1 this year, 20 last year and 18 the year before). I do know Jeffrey has a good one though and that is one reason I'd rather see him there.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Three Stars on Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:06 pm

I approve of the existence of this thread.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mr. Colby on Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:07 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:

I'm not in any agreement with that...

They are giving Tangradi first crack and that's fine. 2 games isn't enough to tell you anything. I say you gotta give the guy 5 games on that line, if he holds them back then you go to the next guy. If he's acceptable there, you make due until later in the year when you can hopefully acquire another top-6 forward.

Believe me, they'll adjust if he hurts that line.

My point from my previous post is that I think Jeffrey would fit better because he is more skilled and will fit it with better players more than Tangradi will.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:08 pm

Don't forget the first 2 games were all about line rolling. Almost every forward played between 13 and 18 minutes each night
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Tico Rick on Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:17 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:

Me three. I think they're going to give Tangradi 7-10 games to see if he can work with Malkin and Neal. If not, they move him and plug Jeffrey in there and give him 7-10 games. If that doesn't work, they go to Plan C and bring up Bennett; if that doesn't work they go to Plan D and trade for a winger.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:21 pm

Tico Rick wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:

Me three. I think they're going to give Tangradi 7-10 games to see if he can work with Malkin and Neal. If not, they move him and plug Jeffrey in there and give him 7-10 games. If that doesn't work, they go to Plan C and bring up Bennett; if that doesn't work they go to Plan D and trade for a winger.

I don't think we'll need to go past plan B, but I also believe in Plan C. Shame they are going first with the guy who deserves it the least - which really points to a "last chance" scenario for Tangradi. I guess I can even understand it, but I don't believe he is even worth that shot. Bury him in the minors or let someone else take him via waivers. I honestly don't even agree that he'd be picked up.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Tico Rick on Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:26 pm

One reason to start off with Plan A is that when they offer Tangradi as trade bait in a couple of weeks, some stupid GM out there will think, "hey, he's their top prospect and he's currently good enough to play with Malkin and Neal. He must be worth trading for."
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:46 pm

Tico Rick wrote:One reason to start off with Plan A is that when they offer Tangradi as trade bait in a couple of weeks, some stupid GM out there will think, "hey, he's their top prospect and he's currently good enough to play with Malkin and Neal. He must be worth trading for."

Doubtful. Tangradi has no trade value aside from being a thrown in right now... but if he were put on the waiver wire, you can be sure someone would pick him up.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penmyst on Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:47 pm

Vitale or Jeffrey playing is not going to make much difference.

Tangradi is playing where he is because the team needs to know if he's ever going to turn the corner.

I think he gets at least 10-15 games there.

While I also don't think he's earned that; I completely understand why they are doing it. They NEED to find out about him. Whether it's time to cut your losses and move on, or perhaps find out that he's a contributor.

A certain other team in this town could take some lessons.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Eismann on Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:16 pm

Question: is this the last bastion, or are there/will there be other bastions. I'd hate to experience bastion-regret.

Loved Vitale's game. Kept going to and getting to the net. Glass had been good, too. I hope Sid stops being tentative soon
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pugilist13 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:17 pm

Jeffrey is a "tweener" guy right now. Not suited for 4th line duty, not really good enough for 2nd line. Although he may get a shot there if Tangradi falters. I love the 4th line as is. Vitale, Glass, and Adams.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mr. Colby on Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:51 pm

Tico Rick wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:

Agreed - Except I think it will be more like 5-7 games each. And I think it will eventually get to plan D because in those 5-7 games they'll keep subbing in Glass and other grinders for the occasional shift.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:28 pm

+I'm not much of an Adams fan but I've been impressed with him so far. As long as he and Glass are hitting everything that moves I have no problems there.

-Crosby has looked pedestrian thus far, and not just for his standards. While I'm not worried, his cross-ice passes yesterday were terrible.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins