WTF NHL

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

WTF NHL

Postby mayday56 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:25 pm

Long time pens fan....long time(powder blue uni's). I now live in Dallas because of my job but I im not a stars fan I am a Pens fan always have been and always will be. My service provider both for TV and Internet happens to be AT&T Uverse. Because of a contract squabble(sound familiar) they dropped the NHL network and center Ice. Ok sucks so I decided to go with gamecenter live for 49 bucks(great deal) usally at least $159. Pens were BLACKED OUT! because they were on the NHL Network which I cant get! someone make some sense of this for me. No wonder NHL is 4th among major sports and falling fast....
mayday56

Re: WTF NHL

Postby sniper on Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:40 pm

mayday56 wrote:Long time pens fan....long time(powder blue uni's). I now live in Dallas because of my job but I im not a stars fan I am a Pens fan always have been and always will be. My service provider both for TV and Internet happens to be AT&T Uverse. Because of a contract squabble(sound familiar) they dropped the NHL network and center Ice. Ok sucks so I decided to go with gamecenter live for 49 bucks(great deal) usally at least $159. Pens were BLACKED OUT! because they were on the NHL Network which I cant get! someone make some sense of this for me. No wonder NHL is 4th among major sports and falling fast....

Sounds like you need a new service provider.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mayday56 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:47 pm

I really cant switch service providers because I work for the above mentioned Telecom company (wireless engineer)I have nothing to do with Uverse or their negotiations with the NHL. I guess I could always add another service provider. I dont think I should have to. If I pay for the online gamecenter I should be able to see all games except maybe not games here in Dallas the could possibly be blacked out.
mayday56

Postby GreenBlood10 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:52 pm

I think there are a lot of kinks that still need to be worked out amongst the networks. I wouldn't panic quite yet, although that's easier said than done when you can still watch the game.
GreenBlood10
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby tfrizz on Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:25 pm

I ran into this trouble with TSN launched TSN2 then, later, TSN-M. They were exclusive to Bell subscribers at the time (I was on Rogers) but fell under TSN's broadcasting contract so games were blacked out.

The fact of the matter is, NBC (and TSN & CBC) pay a lot of money for their broadcasting rights and exclusivity for national broadcasts is included in that. This leaves the NHL stuck between a rock and a hard place: on one hand I'm sure they'd love to offer ALL games on Gamecenter Live, but on the other hand it'd mean taking a (significant?) cut in broadcast revenue.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby JoseCuervo on Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:29 pm

I feel that the universal solution for over half of these posts is-

Spoiler:
Slingbox
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:25 pm

mayday56 wrote:Long time pens fan....long time(powder blue uni's).....

OK, I'll be that guy:

Which powder blue unis? Define "long time." :pop:

I'm kidding, mayday! :D
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:34 pm

We need an official blackout thread.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mayday56 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:13 pm

Lt. Dish......back when these guys played....Bryan Bugsy Watson, Jean Pronovost, Rick Kehoe, Syl Apps jr. Greg Polis just to name a few. I was there in the very beginning 1967.
mayday56

Postby IMFC on Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:26 pm

Same situation for me with att.

Goes to the same problem as the lockout. ATT has plenty of money, NHL is fat, PA is fat, fans are idiots and lose. I'll stream mine from europe. Screw 'em all.
IMFC
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:12 pm

mayday56 wrote:Lt. Dish......back when these guys played....Bryan Bugsy Watson, Jean Pronovost, Rick Kehoe, Syl Apps jr. Greg Polis just to name a few. I was there in the very beginning 1967.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: I know, mayday. I added the popcorn emoticon to show I wasn't serious.

There's a long-running joke (maybe/maybe not) controversy on these boards that involves bandwagon fans (or the concept of) and their apparent penchant for the blue retro thirds from the past few years. I was trying to be light-hearted, as I'm an older fan myself, but it appears I released a lead balloon (can you even do that?) My apologies to you, as it's your thread.

I was welcomed to these boards with open laptops, and I extend you the same greeting. Stick around; first-gen fans have some great stories to share!

Syl Apps, Jr. <3 :D
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mayday56 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:37 pm

Lt. Dish....sounds military....I'm a retired Navy chief. I saw the popcorn emoticon I was just playing also trying to impress everyone with my knowledge .as you can see from my posts I joined this board in early 2008 and I only have 17 posts and I think out of those 4 were today in this thread. I usually come here just to read but today I was just venting my frustration toward the powers at be. the black-out rules are antiquated and need to be redone. they were put in place prior to the internet and god knows how that has changed things. I'm trying to do things right and not succeeding. I don't even know who to complain to or where. I guess I came here maybe looking for a solution even if it isn't legal. I think they said the Pens are going to be on the NHL network a **** of times this shortened season so that means I will have no legal way of watching them when they are.....Take care....
mayday56

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:06 pm

mayday56 wrote:Lt. Dish....sounds military....I'm a retired Navy chief. I saw the popcorn emoticon I was just playing also trying to impress everyone with my knowledge .as you can see from my posts I joined this board in early 2008 and I only have 17 posts and I think out of those 4 were today in this thread. I usually come here just to read but today I was just venting my frustration toward the powers at be. the black-out rules are antiquated and need to be redone. they were put in place prior to the internet and god knows how that has changed things. I'm trying to do things right and not succeeding. I don't even know who to complain to or where. I guess I came here maybe looking for a solution even if it isn't legal. I think they said the Pens are going to be on the NHL network a **** of times this shortened season so that means I will have no legal way of watching them when they are.....Take care....

Well, the name is military, sort of, but there's no back story of honorable service. Lt. Dish was a nurse and very minor character in "M*A*S*H," one of my favorite shows of all time.

My beloved late grandfather was in the Navy in WWII (So. Pacific theater). Thanks for serving. I hope you didn't have to call "mayday" too often. :)

Yes, there was a major uproar on other hockey fan boards about the blackout issues this past Saturday. The Pens fans weren't the only ones affected. I also think blackout rules are ridiculous. Honestly, I have no idea what I'd do other than writing to the NHL.

If you have time, check out the Business of Hockey forum on Hockey's Future (HF) Boards. There's a good bit of discussion about issues involving the league's TV contracts: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124 . Maybe you'll find something about it there or in this past Saturday's game-day threads on the Pens fans' board: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=23

I wish you the best in the fight!
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Batman21 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:31 pm

Batman21
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:03 am

mayday56 wrote:Long time pens fan....long time(powder blue uni's). I now live in Dallas because of my job but I im not a stars fan I am a Pens fan always have been and always will be. My service provider both for TV and Internet happens to be AT&T Uverse. Because of a contract squabble(sound familiar) they dropped the NHL network and center Ice. Ok sucks so I decided to go with gamecenter live for 49 bucks(great deal) usally at least $159. Pens were BLACKED OUT! because they were on the NHL Network which I cant get! someone make some sense of this for me. No wonder NHL is 4th among major sports and falling fast....

I dont live in PA anymore either and I bought Gamecenter too. If the game is on NHL N, NBCN, NBC then the game will be blacked out. It sucks even more because the pens have so many national TV games and its not fair since not everyone has NHL N. But theres nothing you can do about it besides watch the ones on NBC and use streams for the rest that you cant see.
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BCG51585 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:13 am

Go to Costco and sign up for DirecTV! ATT Uverse sucks! They'll hook you up with a $200 gift card!
BCG51585
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Penspal on Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:05 am

Batman21 wrote:Calm down op.

http://www.unblock-us.com/

I know many people who use this service. It fools the blackout restrictions by thinking you (your internet location rather) are located elsewhere.

Good call Batman21, is this part of the utility belt? :twisted:
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby cerp66 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:49 am

Anyway to unblock the DirectTV Root Sports blackouts ?
cerp66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Lt. Dish on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:35 pm

Penspal wrote:

I know many people who use this service. It fools the blackout restrictions by thinking you (your internet location rather) are located elsewhere.

I've never heard of this. What will Alfred think of next?
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:28 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:
Penspal wrote:

That sounds like a great service. 5 bucks a month, nothing to install.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:40 pm

I watched the Rangers game through sopcast. I needed it for something else, but then I wanted to see how good a stream I could get so I went to wiziwig, found a nice fast one, and I didn't even bother watching it on TV. Not enough for a big screen TV, but watching on a 32 or even 37 inch monitor it is certainly good. That wasn't even the fastest stream, as I often see higher speeds. sopcast + vlc player.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RainbowsAndCottonCandy on Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:22 pm

on a side note...is the home opener blacked out if you don't have TSN?
RainbowsAndCottonCandy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:33 pm

RainbowsAndCottonCandy wrote:on a side note...is the home opener blacked out if you don't have TSN?

Not in the US. TSN's broadcasting rights are within Canada only, as are CBC's.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Batman21 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:52 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:
Penspal wrote:

That sounds like a great service. 5 bucks a month, nothing to install.

And it doesnt slow down your connection at all and only enables for services it detects you need.
Batman21
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins