Pittsburgh - Hockey's new "Mecca"

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pittsburgh - Hockey's new "Mecca"

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:51 pm

I just think people's points are that we can't compare to some of these markets. Period. Whether in shear amounts of people or passion there are a lot of cities that would be light years ahead if us if they lucked into a feast pick.

Me not anyone is trying to knock Pgh down at all. We should be proud of what we have and what are fans are all about.

But this related to Dejans subjective article and I just think he is way way way off base.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tim Thomasen on Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:57 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:I just think people's points are that we can't compare to some of these markets. Period. Whether in shear amounts of people or passion there are a lot of cities that would be light years ahead if us if they lucked into a feast pick.

Me not anyone is trying to knock Pgh down at all. We should be proud of what we have and what are fans are all about.

But this related to Dejans subjective article and I just think he is way way way off base.

Maybe the Canadian cities absolutely, but with some of the U.S. cities I think you can make a case we can.

Personally I think this totally stupid. Why can people be propud of what we have acclompished in the last 30 years or so? Generational picks, three cups, a great run in the playoffs in the 90's and today. A good following in the city we play in. Why can't people just be happy with that (i'm talking about the media not anyone here). Why do we have to be compared to Toronto or the Yankees. Just shut up and what our competitive team that we can proud of.

Like I said above, Dejan made some good points, but he needs to really STFU.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:47 pm

This was some good bulletin board material, DK. Way to go.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:27 pm

MRandall25 wrote:This was some good bulletin board material, DK. Way to go.

This.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby npv708 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:29 pm

Well this went well.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tim Thomasen on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:38 pm

npv708 wrote:Well this went well.

I blame the loss on the column. It jinxed us!!

I will say this though I do get frustrated with being a fan of this club. Can't say your a fan of this team without being called a bandwagoner, can't travel on the road with the team without being called a dork and can't say you have great players without someone saying were the Yankees (although that column doesn't bother me too much since it was written for the Beaver County Times and written by a man who not a hockey guy but a NBA guy). I know that probaly doesn't bother anyone here and i'm just overeacting but I just get frustrated with this BS written by fans and other team's media.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Postby npv708 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:47 pm

Tim Thomasen wrote:

Darn tootin' I say we ban the Trib from Pens games!
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tim Thomasen on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:49 pm

npv708 wrote:
Tim Thomasen wrote:

Given the people they got covering us I actually would support that (although Yohe doesn't bother me too much).
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby npv708 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:51 pm

Tim Thomasen wrote:
npv708 wrote:
Tim Thomasen wrote:

Given the people they got covering us I actually would support that (although Yohe doesn't bother me too much).

Yeah, Josh can stay.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:52 pm

Jokes aside, it doesnt make the article any less stupid. The crowd tonight was a joke for a home opener, and I hope Dejan got it thrown in his face. I kept switching to games all night and the CEC was a funeral home compared to the rest of them, at any given time. NO it had nothing to do with the loss and NO the article didnt jinx us, but he/we were asking for it with that. And I hope he get trolled non stop the rest of the week. Wait till Friday and Winnapeg will show em how its done as well
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Tim Thomasen on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:54 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:Jokes aside, it doesnt make the article any less stupid. The crowd tonight was a joke for a home opener, and I hope Dejan got it thrown in his face. I kept switching to games all night and the CEC was a funeral home compared to the rest of them, at any given time. NO it had nothing to do with the loss and NO the article didnt jinx us, but he/we were asking for it with that. And I hope he get trolled non stop the rest of the week. Wait till Friday and Winnapeg will show em how its done as well

I thought the crowd was good. It was a sell out and how do you expect the crowd to get into it when the team plays like absolutely mud?. Tonights game mean nothing to the article.

The atmosphere in Toronto isn't much better. Lots of piped in noise and the fans complain all the time about sterile the atmosphere is due to all the corporations having tickets to games.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:59 pm

The first period it was dead. before they played like mud. Yohe mentioned it, and a bunch of other people on twitter who were both there and watching did as well. I just to chalked it up to being at home but when I see people there complaining about it, and I switch to every other game and the places are fantastic, its a trend. MSG....M-S-G was louder than our fans were...thats a joke.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Tim Thomasen on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:03 am

DudeMan2766 wrote:The first period it was dead. before they played like mud. Yohe mentioned it, and a bunch of other people on twitter who were both there and watching did as well. I just to chalked it up to being at home but when I see people there complaining about it, and I switch to every other game and the places are fantastic, its a trend. MSG....M-S-G was louder than our fans were...thats a joke.

Not really. Why should fans have to cheer non stop for a team? What's wrong with just sitting there and watching the team play and play when something happens? I'm a diehard fan and I only scream when something happens (like a save, goal, hit, fight etc). Just because your not loud doesn't make you a bad fan and just because your loud doesn't make it a good thing. Look at Montreal for example and how there fans act. Doubt you want that in the CEC.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:10 am

DudeMan2766 wrote:The first period it was dead. before they played like mud. Yohe mentioned it, and a bunch of other people on twitter who were both there and watching did as well. I just to chalked it up to being at home but when I see people there complaining about it, and I switch to every other game and the places are fantastic, its a trend. MSG....M-S-G was louder than our fans were...thats a joke.

You are not to allowed to mention the crowds are awful and its boring or you are a horrible, whining, entitled fan who should make his own fun, because $200 - $300 per night doesn't mean you want a fun atmosphere, you are there to watch hockey and that's it.

In all seriousness it's dead there, all the Root Sport mic issues are bs excuses, it's dead. but that's not why I don't like Dejans article, I'm sure Toronto has its crowd issues too, it's so expensive. I just kinda get the feeling that articles like this and other like examples make us look like dicks, even if it is just a stupid reporter. Toronto fans dont know he is a twitter troll, if it was reverse we would be filling this board with anger.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:14 am

Tim Thomasen wrote:

Not really. Why should fans have to cheer non stop for a team? What's wrong with just sitting there and watching the team play and play when something happens? I'm a diehard fan and I only scream when something happens (like a save, goal, hit, fight etc). Just because your not loud doesn't make you a bad fan and just because your loud doesn't make it a good thing. Look at Montreal for example and how there fans act. Doubt you want that in the CEC.

Oh I agree but there is no vibe, pre game, or when we are simply putting on pressure and grinding. It's like being at dinner and the table next to you has an arguing couple. You pay attention cause its fun to listen too, but you aren't really paying attention because your date is hot and you have a delicious steak and bourbon in front of you.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tim Thomasen on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:18 am

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:

You are not to allowed to mention the crowds are awful and its boring or you are a horrible, whining, entitled fan who should make his own fun, because $200 - $300 per night doesn't mean you want a fun atmosphere, you are there to watch hockey and that's it.

In all seriousness it's dead there, all the Root Sport mic issues are bs excuses, it's dead. but that's not why I don't like Dejans article, I'm sure Toronto has its crowd issues too, it's so expensive. I just kinda get the feeling that articles like this and other like examples make us look like dicks, even if it is just a stupid reporter. Toronto fans dont know he is a twitter troll, if it was reverse we would be filling this board with anger.

Toronto has alot of crowd issues. The lower bowl is filled with suits that are too busy playing with their phones to notice the game and always show up late for start of the game and the periods. The upper bowl isn't much off. You know what adds to a fun atmosphere? The team playing like they give a crap that's how. You can be screaming you asses off and if the team is looking very lethargic is can really bring you down.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:19 am

Tim Thomasen wrote:

When I go to games Im that way. I watch, im not screaming and yelling the whole time either. But buddy there is NO NOISE comming from the Pittsburgh crowds hardly at all. Its like this for a while, playoffs not withstanding. Maybe I'll wait till tmw to explain better but his article just really struck a nerve with me. And when the fans come out like that tonight, against the team who's city DK challenged, then yeah I hope he gets it thrown back at him and then some.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:23 am

DudeMan2766 wrote:
Tim Thomasen wrote:

When I go to games Im that way. I watch, im not screaming and yelling the whole time either. But buddy there is NO NOISE comming from the Pittsburgh crowds hardly at all. Its like this for a while, playoffs not withstanding. Maybe I'll wait till tmw to explain better but his article just really struck a nerve with me. And when the fans come out like that tonight, against the team who's city DK challenged, then yeah I hope he gets it thrown back at him and then some.

I try to explain this people and nobody understands. There is always an excuse. I don't jump up and down, go crazy and scream. I'm at the edge of my seat watching most of the game as well. But there is no buzz, no atmosphere and it rarely gets loud even what it should. Plus, ever since David "whiteout" Morehouse came along the piped in atmosphere has been as stale as 8 week old bread.

I don't think you need to explain better to be honest. Back to the point, it was still a really bad move by a report to attack Toronto even though he is trying to explainit away I think the intent was there.
Last edited by BurghersAndDogsSports on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tim Thomasen on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:27 am

DudeMan2766 wrote:
Tim Thomasen wrote:

You don't need to explain it any better. Hey the article struck a nerve with me too. Not because for the most part he was wrong, but I don't like a columnist or writer challenging other teams fanbases (like what Deter did last year calling all of us dorks). To me it's a bit classless and unnecessary in my opinion. Whatever or not I like the Leafs fans or not, I wouldn't write a column criticizing them.

Personally I think the CEC has a great atmosphere for a newer arena. I think when the team is doing well is really can get people into the game. I went to the game last year againist Winnipeg where Neal scored the HT and the atmosphere was good. People were exciting, cheering and having a good time.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tim Thomasen on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:30 am

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:
Tim Thomasen wrote:

I try to explain this people and nobody understands. There is always an excuse. I don't jump up and down, go crazy and scream. I'm at the edge of my seat watching most of the game as well. But there is no buzz, no atmosphere and it rarely gets loud even what it should. Plus, ever since David "whiteout" Morehouse came along the piped in atmosphere has been as stale as 8 week old bread.

I don't think you need to explain better to be honest.

They can get loud when they want to. You need to give them a reason to do so. The team playing like mud doesn't help at all and plus, if people don't want to cheer and just watch the game they should be able too.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck Drama on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:52 am

Hockey is a passing fad for the burgh. Kovacevic is an idiot for trying to compare Pittsburgh to Toronto and Montreal.
Puck Drama
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:09 am

Puck Drama wrote:Hockey is a passing fad for the burgh. Kovacevic is an idiot for trying to compare Pittsburgh to Toronto and Montreal.

Glad you make it back after last night's drubbing.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Nizzy on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:19 am

I agree with the OP and this thread.

Don't be that fan base... We have a great hockey town. Does it really matter who number 1 is? We sell out the arena, if there was another 1,000 seats, we'd still sell that out, etc etc. If a hockey arena could hold unlimited people Toronto would easily still have the Pens beat. Minnesota, had thousands around their stadium for a playoff game, Pens have a good following.

This is just dumb.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:42 am

Puck Drama wrote:Hockey is a passing fad for the burgh. Kovacevic is an idiot for trying to compare Pittsburgh to Toronto and Montreal.

it lives! 8-) miss ya much. ;)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:54 am

Toronto needs a second team in that city. No one city should be making that much profits. If the NHL gets its way this will happen. Toronto can over rule that though. Something about NHL bi-laws that the host team can over rule to not allow a 2nd team in that city.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins