Sneep to Dallas

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Sneep to Dallas

Postby canaan on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:16 pm

putting despres, morrow, harrington, and maata in the same breath is as sneep is afront to the aforementioned. sneep was a dime a dozen player and shero unloaded him for more than FMV. the nick johnson example is equally arbitrary. the dude couldnt stick in minnesota and was earlier waived by phoenix. why do people keep bringing his name up as some smoking gun?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:18 pm

dime a dozen AHL player. that should be clarified.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:18 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:dime a dozen AHL player. that should be clarified.

yes. thank you.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The U on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:25 pm

Gaucho wrote:
The U wrote:I know Strait and Sneep aren't the types of guys that bring much return in a trade....but this deep group of defensemen we assembled was supposed to net us some sort of assets in return. I realize these guys aren't Despres, Morrow, Harrington, etc...but it seems like a bit of a waste to lose these 2 guys for nothing.

To get anything at all for a guy who spent time in Wheeling this seasons seems like a good deal to me.

They get a 7th if he plays 10 NHL games. That probably won't happen, so they indeed gave him away for free.

I don't really care because he was never going to contribute but in the past week we lost Strait for nothing and a former 2nd Rd Pick for nothing.

Aren't there fringe RW/LW prospects on any of these teams that we could take a flyer on? Don't other teams have a RW or LW version of Strait or Sneep that you could swap for? The Stars don't have a 26 year old RW that they have give up on that could play in WBS?

Again, I never liked Strait or Sneep so it's not a big deal for the NHL Pens but losing assets with no return is disappointing.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:27 pm

canaan wrote:putting despres, morrow, harrington, and maata in the same breath is as sneep is afront to the aforementioned. sneep was a dime a dozen player and shero unloaded him for more than FMV. the nick johnson example is equally arbitrary. the dude couldnt stick in minnesota and was earlier waived by phoenix. why do people keep bringing his name up as some smoking gun?

Nick Johnson looked good in a limited top 6 role and played well in camp too but they kept MacIntyre on the team which was an incredible waste. Just because Johnson went bust later doesn't make that less of a bad move at that time.

I think most pegged Sneep and Strait as a solid potential 3rd pairing. Both looked competent in that role in limited call ups but we are so deep losing either will not hurt the organization although I'd have kept Strait over Lovejoy but we are talking about a #8 defensemen so whatever.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:35 pm

DelPen wrote:Nick Johnson looked good in a limited top 6 role and played well in camp too but they kept MacIntyre on the team which was an incredible waste. Just because Johnson went bust later doesn't make that less of a bad move at that time.

andy hilbert looked good in a limited top 6 role. nick johnson had no inherent value to the organization and macintyre at least on paper had the possibility of contributing in specific situations (im not gonna beat up the pros and cons of having an enforcer on the team because 1.) i dont care enough and 2.) i dont necessarily agree with that train of thought), but i understand why shero made the moves that he did. it wasnt and never will be the travesty that people make it out to be.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:36 pm

Are Sneeps Peeps going with?
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby JS© on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:52 pm

for a conditional 7th? Almost wondering if he went to management asking for a trade because he was assigned to wheeling and didn't move up throughout the season. Would almost make sense since he eventually did get recalled to WBS and was a scratch for the last few games.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:17 pm

JS© wrote:for a conditional 7th? Almost wondering if he went to management asking for a trade because he was assigned to wheeling and didn't move up throughout the season. Would almost make sense since he eventually did get recalled to WBS and was a scratch for the last few games.

Wouldn't doubt it. Bortuzzo and Lovejoy have to be getting antsy too not playing. Almost every player wants to be playing at the highest level they can.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Geezer on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:30 pm

DelPen wrote:
JS© wrote:for a conditional 7th? Almost wondering if he went to management asking for a trade because he was assigned to wheeling and didn't move up throughout the season. Would almost make sense since he eventually did get recalled to WBS and was a scratch for the last few games.

Wouldn't doubt it. Bortuzzo and Lovejoy have to be getting antsy too not playing. Almost every player wants to be playing at the highest level they can.

According to the Trib Shero is fielding offers for Lovejoy.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Defence21 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:37 pm

The U wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
The U wrote:I know Strait and Sneep aren't the types of guys that bring much return in a trade....but this deep group of defensemen we assembled was supposed to net us some sort of assets in return. I realize these guys aren't Despres, Morrow, Harrington, etc...but it seems like a bit of a waste to lose these 2 guys for nothing.

To get anything at all for a guy who spent time in Wheeling this seasons seems like a good deal to me.

They get a 7th if he plays 10 NHL games. That probably won't happen, so they indeed gave him away for free.

I don't really care because he was never going to contribute but in the past week we lost Strait for nothing and a former 2nd Rd Pick for nothing.

Aren't there fringe RW/LW prospects on any of these teams that we could take a flyer on? Don't other teams have a RW or LW version of Strait or Sneep that you could swap for? The Stars don't have a 26 year old RW that they have give up on that could play in WBS?

Again, I never liked Strait or Sneep so it's not a big deal for the NHL Pens but losing assets with no return is disappointing.

I get your line of thinking -- trade a dime-a-dozen "prospect" at a position of depth for a "dime-a-dozen" prospect from a position of weakness. That said, why bring in someone who likely won't make any impact other than to make it more difficult to find icetime for someone who might have a future with the team?

In other words, while a 7th rounder doesn't seem all that glamorous, at least it gives Shero and his scouting team a chance to use the pick on a player they specifically want, and one with an open book future, rather than a player whose window of opportunity is nearly closed.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:40 pm

Yup, and dime a dozen players can always be signed if you need to fill ina roster. See Tom Kostopolous.

It's rare you can trade a midling prospect for another midling prospect and have that player pan out for you in the NHL. I don't like turning a 2006 2nd into a 2013 7th, at best, but can't be helped.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Defence21 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:49 pm

DelPen wrote:
canaan wrote:putting despres, morrow, harrington, and maata in the same breath is as sneep is afront to the aforementioned. sneep was a dime a dozen player and shero unloaded him for more than FMV. the nick johnson example is equally arbitrary. the dude couldnt stick in minnesota and was earlier waived by phoenix. why do people keep bringing his name up as some smoking gun?

Nick Johnson looked good in a limited top 6 role and played well in camp too but they kept MacIntyre on the team which was an incredible waste. Just because Johnson went bust later doesn't make that less of a bad move at that time.

I think most pegged Sneep and Strait as a solid potential 3rd pairing. Both looked competent in that role in limited call ups but we are so deep losing either will not hurt the organization although I'd have kept Strait over Lovejoy but we are talking about a #8 defensemen so whatever.

He looked good to some fans, yes. But clearly Bylsma and Shero didn't feel he was a good fit with the club, as they were willing to risk losing him for nothing in order to keep a worthless goon, who eventually was waived and sent to the AHL, never to return to the NHL. Who is to say Shero didn't shop Johnson only to find zero interest? If he didn't fit their plans, why would they keep him around? The fact that he couldn't stick in Minny or Phoenix shows that he is a fringe NHL player -- which it appears Shero and Bylsma already knew. I don't fault them for letting him go, and I certainly don't see why hindsight can't prove them correct. That would be like passing on a top ranked prospect in the draft only to be proven correct years later, but still saying they should have taken him because his future wasn't know at the time.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:39 pm

These moves happen pretty often in some way, shape or form. It shouldn't matter to any of us, there's no panic, there's no "we're giving things away from nothing!" it's nothing for nothing. Sneep was like 26th on the depth chart. A team that can use him in the AHL or in some form gets to use him and allow Sneep to continue his pro career...nothing wrong with that. Sometimes the business of it all is second to the people in it. Whether Sneep asked to be moved (unlikely, I think) or not, there was an opportunity out there where Sneep could be given an opportunity in another organization with a slightly better chance for advancement and he was granted that. No big deal, of course.

What did you expect to get for Sneep? What did you really want? I mean, there's a lot of players with almost no value out there that can be had at a simple request really. Good for Sneep (and Strait, for that matter), I hope they do well for themselves out there...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:13 pm

Folks Sneep wasn't even in WBS. We expected an NHL player in return? He was plummeting down the depth chart and was a bigger version of Straight - which is to say nothing special.

You can't give icetime at the AHL and ECHL level to guys that plateau - and he did. His best bet to make the NHL would have been to be much more physical and to have spent more time with his gloves off. He was a poor man's Engelland.

Right now at the minor level Morrow and Sammuellson are the jewels for development. The junior age guys are coming next. We still have Bortuzzo and Despres to continue developing up here. Bortuzzo needs to get a shot soon here. He would be the one that it would be tragic to lose.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:24 am

I have a feeling Bort will be in for Engo tomorrow.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:06 am

meecrofilm wrote:I have a feeling Bort will be in for Engo tomorrow.

Not liking the nickname Bort. Sounds like short for Abort.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Zach6668 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:34 am

Come along Bort.

Are you talking to me?

No, my son is also named Bort.

We need more Bort license plates in the gift shop. I repeat we are sold out of Bort license plates.

Etc
Zach6668
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:24 am

Can't wait to see 'tooz in the lineup tomorrow!
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:50 am

The Snapshot wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:I have a feeling Bort will be in for Engo tomorrow.

Not liking the nickname Bort. Sounds like short for Abort.

Maybe they call him that because he aborts opposition scoring chances?
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby André on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:15 am

:thumb:
Zach6668 wrote:Come along Bort.

Are you talking to me?

No, my son is also named Bort.

We need more Bort license plates in the gift shop. I repeat we are sold out of Bort license plates.

Etc
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:18 am

How about Ouzo?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:19 am

Or maybe calling an Italian after a Greek beverage is not such a good idea...
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:22 am

Way to start an international incident, Gaucho.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:30 am

Germans sort of specialize in these.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins