Game 3 vs. Toronto - Thoughts from the morning after

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 3 vs. Toronto - Thoughts from the morning after

Postby darkstar57 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 pm

DelPen wrote:Bright spots are still Niskanen and Martin, both playing great, hope it lasts.

24 mins of ice time last night for martin and ended up an even in a game in which we gave up 5 goals. not sure how many times that happened last year.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby pens_CT on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:29 pm

tfrizz wrote:
sharpshootr55 wrote:I've had more than enough of the Tangradi experiment after last nights performance. Happy to see a change has been made.

What performance? I had more ice time than Tangradi last night :pop:

Maybe its time for him to earn more ice time. Run somebody over, drop the gloves, or do anything to show he cares about being on the ice.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:35 pm

I don't even think that it's an issue of will or interest; he's just not very capable.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby pens_CT on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:43 pm

columbia wrote:I don't even think that it's an issue of will or interest; he's just not very capable.

He's not capable of throwing his body around? Not capable of being physical? I think that falls under want/desire when you are 6'4"/225 lbs. Being able to one time a shot off a pass from Crosby instead of it going through your legs falls under ability or capability.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:44 pm

The U wrote:Get whatever you can for him in some sort of package trade and move on. He's holding the lineup hostage because he "has to be on the team" due to waivers. I'd bench him and put Jeffrey back in there before I screwed with 3 of my 4 lines.

The Pens have 23 players on their roster, of which all but Despres must pass through waivers. Other teams are well aware of this and know that it's likely just a matter of time because they put either Tangradi or Jeffrey on waivers to make room, so they have absolutely no value in a trade of any kind.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:47 pm

pens_CT wrote:
columbia wrote:I don't even think that it's an issue of will or interest; he's just not very capable.

He's not capable of throwing his body around? Not capable of being physical? I think that falls under want/desire when you are 6'4"/225 lbs. Being able to one time a shot off a pass from Crosby instead of it going through your legs falls under ability or capability.

He'll be gone soon enough, so...meh.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:48 pm

pens_CT wrote:

And that's where things get messy. Tangradi himself admitted that he's never been a gritty or physical player; he grew up playing like a high-skilled player. That's where things get messy - he's being asked to play a role that he's only started to learn and struggling to do so.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The U on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:51 pm

tfrizz wrote:
The U wrote:Get whatever you can for him in some sort of package trade and move on. He's holding the lineup hostage because he "has to be on the team" due to waivers. I'd bench him and put Jeffrey back in there before I screwed with 3 of my 4 lines.

The Pens have 23 players on their roster, of which all but Despres must pass through waivers. Other teams are well aware of this and know that it's likely just a matter of time because they put either Tangradi or Jeffrey on waivers to make room, so they have absolutely no value in a trade of any kind.

Neither have shown me anything but I would be shocked if they ended up on waivers and left the organization for free.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The U on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:53 pm

tfrizz wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

And that's where things get messy. Tangradi himself admitted that he's never been a gritty or physical player; he grew up playing like a high-skilled player. That's where things get messy - he's being asked to play a role that he's only started to learn and struggling to do so.

6'4 220lbs and doesn't have the skill or speed to play top 6. He also refuses to use his size to punish people into the boards and doesn't like to hit people or play an intimidating/rough/mean game. Good combo. haha.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slappybrown on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:56 pm

Pretty much sums it up.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DropEmJayBird on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:56 pm

topshelf66 wrote:Season Ticket holder for 17 years. The CEC lack of crowd noise may never change.

1. Fans don't seem to have a good sense when the could really lift the team with a chant / noise.
2. Many times, including last night, organic chants / noise starts buildling only to be overwhelmed by over the top in-game entertainment noise. The people that run the in-game entertainment need to have some sense and a kill switch. At the igloo, many times the noise would start to build during a stoppage / TV timeout and really get gong when play started. At CEC every single second of down time is filled with entertainment, loud music, jumbotron features etc...

This times 20, and I think 1 is a result of 2 for the most part. It's overwhelming what your ears are hit with between whistles. The loudest thing in that building will never be fans because the music is about 40 DB's louder than the fans will ever be. The in-game needs tweaked for sure - stop drowning out fan noise when it picks up, that's the time to run the let's go pens organ or something, not run awesome 2005 hard rock song with volume set to 11.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:57 pm

The in-game experience has been horrifying from the start, and nothing has changed in the games I have been to over the past few years. I think we are stuck with this monster truck show style fan experience permanently.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:57 pm

columbia wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

He'll be gone soon enough, so...meh.

That'd be fine if they could get something in return for him, but I don't like the idea of just giving him away on waivers. There isn't enough forward depth in the system to be able to do that, regardless of Tangradi's lack of success in the NHL. I don't even know if drafting forwards will help, given their history drafting forwards in the past decade.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:01 pm

slappybrown wrote:The in-game experience has been horrifying from the start, and nothing has changed in the games I have been to over the past few years. I think we are stuck with this monster truck show style fan experience permanently.

Started when they brought Ryan Mill in.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:02 pm

WTF Ryan Mill
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:11 pm

Didn't Mill finish up after Barbero became too sick to continue PA duties? I feel like Mill was at the Civic Arena for a few months, and then obviously was permanently the PA guy at CEC. I don't want to blame Mill exclusively, because I think the general gameday experience is planned/conceptualized by the operations/marketing people. Granted, some of the stuff he does is over the top, but much of that is also off a script.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:12 pm

TURN THE VOLUME DOWN GUYS, WHY DO I HAVE TO SCREAM TO SPEAK TO THE PERSON NEXT TO ME DURING A STOPPAGE IN PLAY

/s/ old person
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:21 pm

they probably hired some management firm to take care of a bunch of "modern arena" duties, since it was foreign territory. included in these duties was probably consultation on between-whistle entertainment.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:35 pm

after attending a steeler game at heinz field, the commericals between play is also non-stop. :o :shock:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:37 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
slappybrown wrote:The in-game experience has been horrifying from the start, and nothing has changed in the games I have been to over the past few years. I think we are stuck with this monster truck show style fan experience permanently.

Mill is just the announcer though. Even when they do stuff it has no flow and the music has been horrid for years. It's like I'm at a scripted play written by someone who has never been to a sporting event. Videos are cool so play them, people love goals do a video.

It was much better a few years back when they used the game to assist the crowd, not pander to it as if the crowd wants wants or needs that. Make it fun and electric, create atmosphere for fans to get on board with. They are doing the opposite trying to create atmosphere for the fans to sit and watch as a supplement.

It's stupid. (Cue Peal Jam song over top of a penguins goals).

Couple that with creating no atmosphere with no place for us regular fans to party and get fired up with other fans prior to the game, by time you get to your seats you barely know you are at a hockey game.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:38 pm

Bioshock wrote:The crowd seemed dead. Was very surprised by that. I thought that place would be rabid with anticipation. Was jacked all week for last night's game.

Not a surprise to me. When you give away tix to a game (even a scrimmage) there will be folks (lots of them)who take this opportunity to see the Pens who never get to go to a real game (lack of disposable income) and so they make noise because it may be their only opportunity. Then the regulars show up for a real game and end up being "shown up" volume-wise by the "once in a blue mooners."

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:42 pm

The U wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

6'4 220lbs and doesn't have the skill or speed to play top 6. He also refuses to use his size to punish people into the boards and doesn't like to hit people or play an intimidating/rough/mean game. Good combo. haha.

This is an interesting analysis to me. Because the Pens DO in fact have a guy who is 6'4" 220, skilled and will fight and hit. He's slow, prone to disapear and apparently not below throwing out the unforgivable slur, but he brings more than Tangradi has..... Kevin Vielliuex. just sayin ;)
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hawkeynut on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:47 pm

- sloppy passing
- sloppy PP
- sloppy penalties (from the refs)
- sloppy game

Where was the emotion from the first 2 games?
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:51 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:

Mill is just the announcer though. Even when they do stuff it has no flow and the music has been horrid for years. It's like I'm at a scripted play written by someone who has never been to a sporting event. Videos are cool so play them, people love goals do a video.

It was much better a few years back when they used the game to assist the crowd, not pander to it as if the crowd wants wants or needs that. Make it fun and electric, create atmosphere for fans to get on board with. They are doing the opposite trying to create atmosphere for the fans to sit and watch as a supplement.

It's stupid. (Cue Peal Jam song over top of a penguins goals).

Couple that with creating no atmosphere with no place for us regular fans to party and get fired up with other fans prior to the game, by time you get to your seats you barely know you are at a hockey game.

Allow me to clarify:

It started with Ryan Mill because, prior to that, you had the soft vocal tones of one John Barbero. The in-game atmosphere was great, and they didn't have to play music that loudly (though they played similar music, but you get that in just about every arena). Even when you watch replays of playoff games and regular season games prior to 09-10, the music isn't overpowering the crowd. The same can't be said for when Mill took over.

Ryan Mill has a voice more suited for a monster truck atmosphere, and I think the people who run the in-game entertainment adjusted the in-game stuff to match Ryan Mill's awful PA announcing.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:57 pm

The first "morning after" thread after a loss turns into a Tangradi slam-fest? Color me shocked. :shock:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins