How were food / merch lines?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

How were food / merch lines?

Postby Pghsports on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:48 pm

With all the discounts / free stuff, how bad were the food and merchandise lines for the arena during last night's opener? I understand that there were designated stands for vouchers sort of like the Pirates "All you can eat" seats.

I'm going to the 2/2 game, trying to plan accordingly, and didn't see a thread dedicated to this anywhere. Thanks!
Pghsports
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: How were food / merch lines?

Postby jwest21 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:53 pm

On the second level around 200, the regular food stand line was about 10-15 minutes long at 6:30. They were about to run out of pretzels there, though I passed by the Pens store at that time and it looked like a mob scene. The smaller stores weren't very crowded though
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby lifetimefan on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:59 pm

Lines were long everywhere. First level food lines were shorter and moved fairly well. Pens Gear was packed. I went down during the second tv timeout of the first period and went right in. By the time I was paying for my Neal jersey, the line was about 100 people long to get into the store. Never thought I would say it, but $92.50 for a jersey was not bad.
lifetimefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:16 pm

We were there fairly early (before 6).

The main PensGear line was insane, but the satellite stores on the other floors were ok.

Again, because we were there early, the food stand behind me was empty. Able to get what I wanted. 15 minutes later the place was nuts and the vendors were running out of food.

And just to note (if anyone cares) - the free nachos aren't the regular size. Much smaller. Popcorn is small as well. I didn't care, but I overheard people complaining.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby stopper40 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:31 pm

The first thng I thought of when I saw the thread title was:

what was the percentage of Maple Leaf fans there, was this percentage higher or lower than you expected

:)
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby C4 Row E on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:48 pm

I had a chicken sandwich, nachos, and a soda.

I went back after the second period to order a soda and a pretzel. They gave me those for free as well without vouchers and also gave me 2 boxes of popcorn.
C4 Row E
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JS© on Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:02 pm

llipgh2 wrote:We were there fairly early (before 6).

The main PensGear line was insane, but the satellite stores on the other floors were ok.

Again, because we were there early, the food stand behind me was empty. Able to get what I wanted. 15 minutes later the place was nuts and the vendors were running out of food.

And just to note (if anyone cares) - the free nachos aren't the regular size. Much smaller. Popcorn is small as well. I didn't care, but I overheard people complaining.

I saw people on twitter saying anywhere from 45 min to 2 hrs wait to get into the PensGear store during the day. Not sure how true that is though.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:38 pm

First I'll do the food:

The main concession areas, during intermission and other times you'd expect it to be busy, they were long. But if you went during play, or found one of the little booths that only had beer, hot dogs, pretzels and nachos, those lines weren't bad at all, but you were limited. I got a hotdog and a pretzel on the stand behind my section.

Pens Gear:

The main Pens shop was insane. The little stores around the arena weren't too bad, but you are limited to what you can get there. I went to the Pens store after the game. The line was long, but the wait really wasn't too bad. Maybe 10 minutes. But by the time I got in there most things were picked over. But I was still able to get my kids the Pens tshirts I wanted and I got myself a nice sweatshirt.

Maybe since the initial rush is over, especially for the Pens gear, things won't be as bad going forward.

But that is expected when things are 50% off.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Great58 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:43 pm

Are the food vouchers only for the day they are given out, or can you use them later in the season?
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DocEmrick on Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:43 pm

2.5 Hour Wait to get into Pensgear store in the early afternoon. Food wasn't bad from what I saw.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:57 pm

Great58 wrote:Are the food vouchers only for the day they are given out, or can you use them later in the season?

The vouchers are good for the first 4 games of the season only, according to what I've read.

I didn't see any dates on them, so I assume if you didn't use them last night, you could use them Tuesday or the following 2 games. After that, I doubt it.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:06 pm

llipgh2 wrote:
Great58 wrote:Are the food vouchers only for the day they are given out, or can you use them later in the season?

The vouchers are good for the first 4 games of the season only, according to what I've read.

I didn't see any dates on them, so I assume if you didn't use them last night, you could use them Tuesday or the following 2 games. After that, I doubt it.

I checked and there were dates on them. Because I thought I'd stock up, but then I saw the dates on them. They are only good for that game.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:06 pm

How is the Pensgear store in SouthSide Works? Full selection or less than the main one at CEC
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:07 pm

I tried bartering 3 food tickets for 1 beer. No one wanted my deal.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby lifetimefan on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:16 pm

llipgh2 wrote:We were there fairly early (before 6).

It was free. People need to just shut up and be thankful they got anything. Pens did not need to do a thing, but did. I appreciate the thoughts of ownership. Even with reduced sizes, the cost of such a promotion along with the in store discounts is HUGE. THANK YOU PENS!
lifetimefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby lifetimefan on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:17 pm

slappybrown wrote:How is the Pensgear store in SouthSide Works? Full selection or less than the main one at CEC

Friend went midafternoon and it was a nuthouse. Understaffed and overcrowded.
lifetimefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:18 pm

It would be nice for the Saturday afternoon game if they added Dunkin Donuts to the voucher, but I doubt they will.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby lifetimefan on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:18 pm

llipgh2 wrote:

Stated "GAME 1" on the voucher. Only good for the game you get them.
lifetimefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby awsumpens on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:20 pm

The main Pensgear store looked like an amusement park line during the 1st intermission. The concession stands on the 200 level were crazy during the intermissions.

I decided I was there to watch the game, not eat, so I didn't wait in the lines.
awsumpens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:21 pm

I honestly didn't pay attention to what was on the voucher, to tell the truth.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Great58 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:26 pm

The main Pensgear store looked like an amusement park line during the 1st intermission.

It will be interesting to see if they restock their merchandise, or if the jersey offerings in particular will dwindle as the promotion goes on.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:26 pm

I never tried this, but can you walk into Pensgear during the game if you dont have tickets?
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:05 pm

Can you get the same discounts game day at the South Side store?
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:40 pm

slappybrown wrote:I never tried this, but can you walk into Pensgear during the game if you dont have tickets?

I don't see why not. They don't ask to see your tickets when you enter the building and go through security.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:27 pm

Artois-Morgan-Budweiser
Gyro-Primanti-Nakama
Labatt-Smokehouse-Kielbasa
Peroni-Angus-Cherikee

T. Horton-Bacardi
Leinenkugel-Starkist
Brisket-O'Doul