Wingers 12-13 season (speculation, name drops, etc)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Wingers 12-13 season (speculation, name drops, etc)

Postby Nizzy on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:40 am

Beau Bennett? Heck, put TK with Malkin and Neal. Everyone knows I hate TK, but he might be a better fit than Tangradi. Try Tangradi on the 3rd with Sutter.

If we do anything it probably will be a crease clearing defenseman, hal gill type. We won a cup with:

Kunitz/Guerin/Talbot/Dupuis/Fedotenko as our rotating top 4 wingers. Don't try to act like Crosby need's a Neal. They don't. We need Defense for the playoffs.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:50 am

shmenguin wrote:
columbia wrote:Why do you take it so personally when people criticize him? I like Kunitz as a player, but who gives a **** if some don't?

defence21 doesn't like kennedy. i disagree with him, but i respect his opinions because they are informed and reasonable. we have an occasional debate on the matter and my feathers aren't ruffled.
malkamaniac hates kennedy, but he admits that it's not really based on much - just an irrational thing.

i can easily deal with stuff like that, but kennedy is a lightning rod for stupidity. and you'll notice that i can't just let stupidity go. it's an admitted fault of mine. things that have come up within the last couple years...he's not a good 3rd liner, his level of play drops in the playoffs, the points he accumulated with sid shouldn't count towards judging his productivity, he faked an injury so he wouldn't have to play in the montreal series, comrie and asham should take his place, he's soft...i'm sure there are more. and these aren't just casual throw away observations. these are arguments people were adamant about. it drives me bonkers.

Hey, let's not get personal and call people out, here! Geez....

Seriously, though, my dislike for Kennedy, as you point out, revolves around my perception of his game. That said, what he's done in the first three games has me not disliking him at the moment. I'm actually anxious to see what he can do on that second line -- even though I don't feel he's a longterm or permanent fit. All that said, no one thought Dupuis would be a longterm or permanent fit with Crosby, and he seems to work out just fine there. So who is to say Kennedy won't have some strange and unexpected chemistry with Malkin and Neal?

The biggest thing I like about this promotion has nothing to do with Kennedy at all, though. Bumping Glass to the third line, to me, is going to be great. Between Sutter, Cooke, and Glass, that is one nasty line that won't allow many goals. Of course they lose Kennedy's shoot at all cost mentality, but I'm okay with that.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:51 am

Nizzy wrote:Beau Bennett? Heck, put TK with Malkin and Neal. Everyone knows I hate TK, but he might be a better fit than Tangradi. Try Tangradi on the 3rd with Sutter.

If we do anything it probably will be a crease clearing defenseman, hal gill type. We won a cup with:

Kunitz/Guerin/Talbot/Dupuis/Fedotenko as our rotating top 4 wingers. Don't try to act like Crosby need's a Neal. They don't. We need Defense for the playoffs.

TK is with Malkin and Neal. Tangradi has been moved to the fourth line.

The Penguins don't need a Hal Gill type. They need a crease clearing defenseman who can skate in the Bylsma system.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:00 am

$2 million for TK is far from an overpayment.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby André on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:02 am

Defence21 wrote:
Nizzy wrote:Beau Bennett? Heck, put TK with Malkin and Neal. Everyone knows I hate TK, but he might be a better fit than Tangradi. Try Tangradi on the 3rd with Sutter.

TK is with Malkin and Neal. Tangradi has been moved to the fourth line.

The Penguins don't need a Hal Gill type. They need a crease clearing defenseman who can skate in the Bylsma system.

Also, team management acted like Crosby needs a Neal when going for Parise.

Or even a Guerin. Winning the cup with Talbot and Fedotenko on the second line was because of an historically strong playoff performance from Geno. We can't trust the hope for a new cup on that (from Sid or even better than that with Neal from Malkin) happening again.

Judging from how things look on ice, the fact that they were in the Parise race and that the cap space is there I'm sure management would like to add another winger if the right fit can be found.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:08 am

Defence21 wrote:That said, what he's done in the first three games has me not disliking him at the moment

what a compliment :lol:
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:11 am

I still think Bortuzzo can be that guy but he needs to get in the lineup. I hope he's in there over Engellend soon. He'd be fine with Despres on the 3rd pairing.

I still see Vinny Prospal as a pen with every intention of him going back to Columbus after the season is over and be a strict rental.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:25 am

Management did go after Parise (and Suter) but the landscape has changed a bit since then. The cap next year is down at $64,300,000...that has to be considered. A rental makes the most sense if we're in the position for a cup run.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:26 am

I am a very big TK fan. Have always been from the very beginning due to his incredible hustle and heart for the game. That said, I do not like him on the Malkin line. Why? Because it is in TK's DNA to shoot the puck and now his head is going to be filled with "pass to Geno". Case in point, that play against Toronto Wed. when TK had a chance to shoot but did an awkward, ill-advised drop pass to Geno that was stolen away. I don't want TK thinking about passing when he has a shot, just do what you do.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:32 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote: Case in point, that play against Toronto Wed. when TK had a chance to shoot but did an awkward, ill-advised drop pass to Geno that was stolen away.

that was a major "uh-oh" moment for the TK experiment. i think he did well with sid last year because there were two of him on that line. he wasn't exactly feeling any pressure to make sure matt cooke was getting his goals. and without that pressure...whoa - matt cooke got his goals. now he's got 2 of the best scorers in the known universe on his line. i have my doubts about his ability to handle the responsibility.

i think i'd rather put him with sid and dupuis and let kunitz go back to the malkin-neal line. kunitz is stinking up the room this year anyways. might as well give him a kick start.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:38 am

netwolf wrote:
I don't like him there, but I have seen him passing more in the early going that I remember him doing in the past. I've also seen him trying to challenge guys 1 on 1 w/ stickhandles more often than I remember.

I thought maybe I was imagining both of those things. :)
I hope he keeps both of them up.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:07 pm

Would love Gagne just to see the Flyer's faithful reactions
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: "Whatcha you be smokin' cuz? you guys aren't nothing but hoopty"

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:21 pm

DelPen wrote:My only knock against Kennedy is he makes too much money for the role he plays on this team. Doesn't kill penalty, 2nd unit PP by default, 3rd line wing. You don't need to spend $2 million on those kind of players.

He has 71 goals in 329 career games - and as you point out only 9 of them are PP goals and he plays on the 3rd line. He also has more assists than goals, so he isn't a Cy Young candidate. I just don't see how that doesn't equate to a $2M salary. If that's your only knock, then I think you just don't like him - which is fine.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby SolidSnake on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:25 pm

The one thing that people seem to complain about Kennedy is that he always shoots, I actually like that part of him. Someone gotta do it and it's better to see that once in a while compared to seeing 460 different passes in order to set up the perfect shot.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: "Whatcha you be smokin' cuz? you guys aren't nothing but hoopty"

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:34 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
DelPen wrote:My only knock against Kennedy is he makes too much money for the role he plays on this team. Doesn't kill penalty, 2nd unit PP by default, 3rd line wing. You don't need to spend $2 million on those kind of players.

He has 71 goals in 329 career games - and as you point out only 9 of them are PP goals and he plays on the 3rd line. He also has more assists than goals, so he isn't a Cy Young candidate. I just don't see how that doesn't equate to a $2M salary. If that's your only knock, then I think you just don't like him - which is fine.

he's only overpaid if you have someone young and cheap in your system who can replace him - which we don't.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bioshock on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:37 pm

Glencross!!!
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:45 pm

Didn't see this, so I'll post:

http://blog.triblive.com/chipped-ice/2013/01/25/skate-log-a-break-for-the-beat-boys-and-trade-talk-despres/

Rob Rossi wrote:Hearing a lot of rumblings about the Penguins looking for a winger. Nothing close yet, but know that D Simon Despres can be had for the right price. Question becomes is that price a veteran winger with a short-term future or if the scouting staff has identified the next James Neal and now GM Ray Shero is set on trying to bring said player to Pittsburgh.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:51 pm

Defence21 wrote:Didn't see this, so I'll post:

http://blog.triblive.com/chipped-ice/2013/01/25/skate-log-a-break-for-the-beat-boys-and-trade-talk-despres/

Rob Rossi wrote:Hearing a lot of rumblings about the Penguins looking for a winger. Nothing close yet, but know that D Simon Despres can be had for the right price. Question becomes is that price a veteran winger with a short-term future or if the scouting staff has identified the next James Neal and now GM Ray Shero is set on trying to bring said player to Pittsburgh.

If they trade Despres before they have Letang locked up, I will flip. If they do trade him then I assume they are very certain about Morrow being ready the year after next to be the top guy. I don't see how they can be that sure just yet - and Letang would leave a huge smoking hole that right now only Despres has the upside for.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:52 pm

Bioshock wrote:Glencross!!!

Always liked this guy.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby no name on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:55 pm

I just can;'t see breaking up our 3rd line, for one no one on that line should be in a top 6 roll, Except Sutter late in the game. And they all work well with each other that you leave a void on that 4rd line if you move one.

Keep Cooke Sutter and Kennedy together and look for a replacment for the top 6 some where else.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:57 pm

Jarome Iginla will be a Penguin before this season ends.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bioshock on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:00 pm

Meow
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:02 pm

Still think if Dallas is out of it they'll swing a deal for Ryder.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:07 pm

shmenguin wrote:i think i'd rather put him with sid and dupuis and let kunitz go back to the malkin-neal line. kunitz is stinking up the room this year anyways. might as well give him a kick start.

Can't tell you how much I agree with this statement. I'm so sick of hearing the company line of "we've got to give Sid his old wingers back". Really? Why? We didn't lose the Flyer's series because Sid didn't have his wingers.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:08 pm

I'm sick of hearing the "company line" of "neal malkin kunitz" was the best line in hockey. Really? Why?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins