Wingers 12-13 season (speculation, name drops, etc)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Wingers 12-13 season (speculation, name drops, etc)

Postby Luckybreak on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:33 am

André wrote:So what's the verdict on Boychuk? I saw his first three games and thought it looked very promising.

Agreed (he's not 'the answer' but looked to be creating more than the other tryouts), though it seems Malkin/Neal/Bylsma didn't share our optimism. Bennett has also looked good but he's not the correct mould of player to generate success, IMO Malkin needs Kunitz more than Sid and if HCDB won't reunite them GMRS needs to find a Kunitz clone ASAP. Personally I enjoyed watching Boychuck and would have tried him (or Bennett) on Sid's wing. Looks like the experiment is over and barring injuries Boychuck unlikely to play again.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:07 am

Didn't love Boychuk...kind of pedestrian out there, I question his compete level and his hockey sense to be honest...I don't think he makes good use of his time out there...he showed some hustle a little bit early (which I said he might do and then just kind of settle in to being what he's been his whole career) but he was really just in a hurry to go nowhere...

It looked prettier than Tangradi because it was small, sleek and fast...but he did little more than the dinosaur that we ran out of town...it's just one player we don't know and one has been a lightning rod for rotten tomatoes...

We're quickly shedding options, so we're almost left no choice in terms of who to give chances to...but I wouldn't guess that Boychuk is a productive, long-term or short-term answer to that issue...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby saints11 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:38 pm

I'd try Boychuk on the 3rd line with his buddy Sutter and see if anything comes of it. If not, offer him back to Carolina, might get a pick out of this.
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:41 pm

Carolina isn't going to trade anything for him if they were willing to waive him. If they care about getting him back at all, they'll wait and see if the Pen's waive him and take him back.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:02 pm

Whatever happened to Tarasov aka Russian Sniper?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:07 pm

Jagr is starting to fit more and more.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:09 pm

He'd go to DET next year, just out of spite.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:18 pm

columbia wrote:Whatever happened to Tarasov aka Russian Sniper?

He's currently playing in the AHL for Worcester and has 7G 5A in 16 games.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... pid=124256
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:27 pm

tfrizz wrote:
columbia wrote:Whatever happened to Tarasov aka Russian Sniper?

He's currently playing in the AHL for Worcester and has 7G 5A in 16 games.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... pid=124256

And now a team mate of Tim Kennedy....that arbitration thing in BUF didn't work out too well for him, I guess.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Nizzy on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:32 pm

Instead of getting a wing, let Sutter play with Malkin and Neal.

Could we try to target a 3C? Maybe not for the long term but atleast for this year?

I think its all going to depend on what teams become sellers. Hopefully some teams like the Sharks, Wild, Flames continue to drop and we could be good trade partners.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Fire0nice228 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:01 pm

Sutter stinks. He would hold Neal and Malkin back just as bad as the platoon of players they have seen so far.

I didnt like Sutter when he was in Carolina, then he impressed me a little bit, and now I barely even know he is playing most games. Meh.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:04 pm

saints11 wrote:I'd try Boychuk on the 3rd line with his buddy Sutter and see if anything comes of it. If not, offer him back to Carolina, might get a pick out of this.

Carolina is first on the waiver priority list only for Boychuk, they know that, we aren't holding a player that's trending towards being a first round bust ransom...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:30 pm

Sutter doesn't look like anything special yet. But it will take some time for this organization to find out what the ideal makeup of our 3rd line should look like. Will Cooke and Kennedy be retained? Me thinks Kennedy gets traded, with Boychuk and Jeffrey waiting in the wings. I don't think Cooke comes back either... What worked for Staal does not mean it will work for Sutter. I don't ever see him playing down low. Which means he needs to pair with guys who can create off the rush. That's about all that Boychuk is good for....
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens2005 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:30 pm

Fire0nice228 wrote:Sutter stinks. He would hold Neal and Malkin back just as bad as the platoon of players they have seen so far.

I didnt like Sutter when he was in Carolina, then he impressed me a little bit, and now I barely even know he is playing most games. Meh.

Sutter is a great defensive forward. He will be great offensively in a few. He is young and already quite polished for his age.

He will be a 2nd line center one day as well, IMHO.

Sutter is a good hockey player with potential to be great.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby saints11 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:32 pm

Sutter is doing fine. But, we do need to solidify the lines; which won't happen until we get Cooke back where he belongs and decide what to do with Kennedy/Boychuk/Jeffrey on his other wing. If they decide on Sid's line as is and Bennett on Malkin's other wing and go with it, then things can settle down. Or at least until HCDB decides to throw Sid and Geno together for a couple shifts and throw the lines off again.
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:36 pm

Two quick points:
- I've liked Sutter's 200 foot game and his closing speed on the puck...which is surprisingly good for a Sutter and better than Staal's.

- TK's biggest (or near biggest) supporter here says: Joe Vitale can take his spot next year and we wouldn't miss a beat really if the 4th line supports it.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:53 pm

mikey287 wrote:I don't disagree that the Malkin/Neal duo could use someone like Kunitz because someone like Kunitz doesn't need to touch the puck. Look at the line, Neal and Malkin just pass it back and forth to each other and shoot...Kunitz can pick up trash and do board work and stuff like that...it really is a shame that Tangradi couldn't do that, because we didn't need a lot of skill on that LW...the line is chock full of it already...Boychuk just skates around looking tense so people think that he's busy, but really, he's not doing anything either...he just skates around in a circle out there...

mikey287 wrote:Morrow is pretty bad right now, Dallas is kind of marginalizing him from the lineup. He got involved in that circus game against Calgary the other night, but otherwise, he's been pretty awful this year and last too for that matter...he just can't accept passes...which would be one of his chief duties here...

I know Morrow has been bad this year, but for the reason you stated before, I think he could actually fit with Malkin and Neal. He can still work the boards effectively, get the puck to Malkin or Neal, provide some veteran leadership, and get in front of the net and put away garbage goals. He isn't as fast as I would like, but he is certainly quick enough. For people who think moving Kunitz to Malkin's line would solve his problems this year (which I'm not completely sold on), Morrow would be a great alternative addition while keeping Kunitz with Sid.

Morrow is certainly getting phased out in Dallas despite being the captain as they are getting their youth movement and the Jamie Benn-era started. Thus, I think he could be had for fairly cheap as opposed to some of the other options out there. Dallas has some solid prospects, so I don't think the Pens have much that Dallas would want except for their puck moving defensemen prospects or draft picks (I think you'd probably know better what they would look for in a trade). I think Morrow is a pretty solid and realistic option for trade this year.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:07 am

It's not an unfair point. I just wonder if the organization sees that spot belonging to a big, slow, board worker at this point. Tangradi is shipped off for a song and the organization picks up a small, fairly quick skill guy. Maybe I shouldn't read much into the comings and goings of fringe NHLers, but you just kind of wonder how far detached we are from the 2008 and 2009 teams...

Malone, Guerin, Tangradi out. Sullivan, Boychuk, Bennett in.

You even start to see it in the drafting/prospects:
Before: signed scrubs Sill and Payerl, drafted Staal (big and slow), drafted Veilleux (big and slow), drafted Pierro-Zabotel (big, slow and terrible), drafted Caputi (big and slow), drafted Jeffrey (pretty big, fairly smart and pretty slow), drafted Hanowski (big and slow), drafted Petersen (big and slow)...

Now: signed Megna (skilled, small and quick), drafted Bennett (skilled, average and quick), drafted Archibald (small and skilled, and not as slow as Hanowski I don't think), drafted Wilson (uh, kind of gritty and skilled, not overly fast I guess...whatever), drafted Zlobin (small and skilled), drafted Marcantuoni (fast and somewhat skilled), drafted Blugers (small and skilled)...

I just kind of wonder if all this is adding up to something or if it's just the organization flushing out something it had too much of in exchange for something it didn't have enough of...

As for trade value, they just don't want him anymore it seems...they could use a PMD prospect (I don't think we have too many of those, let me ask the board...) or a center prospect...honestly, after the investment the Stars have made on drafting D in the past couple drafts (Oleksiak, Bystrom, Lindell, Sinitsyn is a super sleeper, etc.), they probably could use a center prospect. Though, on paper, it looks like they drafted a bunch (Gemel Smith, Mike Winther, Devin Shore, etc.) I'm not sure any of them project to be centers at the pro level. They'd all probably be better suited on the wing, except maybe one, maybe...

I'd prefer just to give them a 2nd and tell'em to keep the change if that's the route we're going. Otherwise, it's a matter of what their scouting staff likes...it wouldn't be Marcantuoni because they have him in Gemel Smith already...Blugers would work for them (but I wouldn't do it), Maatta would work for them (but I wouldn't do it), Morrow and Pouliot are overpayment in my opinion...

The organization is coo-coo for college puffs prospects (as if you had to guess by who is in charge)...if they like Nick D'Agostino as much as I do, I'd pair him up with a conditional 4th that becomes a 3rd if we win the Cup or something...otherwise, the simplest solution is to cough up our 2nd...which most people would say, "well, yeah, of course, do that!" but I'm protective of draft picks...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:23 am

Morrow was second on my list of deadline targets for the Pens (after Iginla) at the beginning of the year. On paper, he fits the teams needs perfectly. A veteran leadership presence, physical, with a scoring touch, LW, not too expensive. But then I started reading how downhill his game appears to have gone in Dallas this season, and he kind of dropped off my radar.

I'd attributed that to age, and thought, oh well, he's breaking down. But upon closer inspection, the guy is actually only a few MONTHS older than Kunitz. Sure, slowing down... but broken down? I doubt it. Not yet. Probably, he realizes that his era in Dallas is coming to an end, and he's being flushed out. So he's playing accordingly. But give him a revitalized role in an organization that could use everything he brings with a chance at the cup? I'd put money on him bringing it at a level closer to what he used to be than to what he's currently showing.

So yeah, Brendan Morrow. I've always thought he and Crosby would play great together (though he' play with Malkin). Do it RS. Probably requires a roster player, since we're at the limit. Would they be interested in Kennedy?
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Defence21 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:28 am

pcm wrote:Morrow was second on my list of deadline targets for the Pens (after Iginla) at the beginning of the year. On paper, he fits the teams needs perfectly. A veteran leadership presence, physical, with a scoring touch, LW, not too expensive. But then I started reading how downhill his game appears to have gone in Dallas this season, and he kind of dropped off my radar.

I'd attributed that to age, and thought, oh well, he's breaking down. But upon closer inspection, the guy is actually only a few MONTHS older than Kunitz. Sure, slowing down... but broken down? I doubt it. Not yet. Probably, he realizes that his era in Dallas is coming to an end, and he's being flushed out. So he's playing accordingly. But give him a revitalized role in an organization that could use everything he brings with a chance at the cup? I'd put money on him bringing it at a level closer to what he used to be than to what he's currently showing.

So yeah, Brendan Morrow. I've always thought he and Crosby would play great together (though he' play with Malkin). Do it RS. Probably requires a roster player, since we're at the limit. Would they be interested in Kennedy?

I agree with most of what you said -- though I would say Morrow has taken a much more significant beating over his career than Kunitz and has had some significant injuries. I think it's entirely possible he is wearing out -- but I also think it's entirely possible he's playing to his role rather than playing above his role. In other words, a change of scenery could be good for the aging veteran being phased out. Most thought Guerin was done before coming to Pittsburgh, where he rejuvenated himself for a short time. Why can't Morrow do the same?

As for trade assets, I doubt they'd want anyone on our roster for him. And the ones they would want, we wouldn't want to give. The Penguins are not at the roster limit, nor are they close. By trading Lovejoy for a pick and losing Strait on waivers (Tangradi is washed out by Boychuk), the Penguins opened two spots under the 50 contract max, and my understanding is they were two or three under the max to start the season. As for the 23 player roster, yes, they're at the max, but that's an easy fix by waiving Boychuk or sending Bennett back to the AHL.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:39 am

Additionally, D, there's no roster limit after the trade deadline, IIRC...so you can carry whatever you want. Unless that was changed if/when they altered the 4 call-ups after the deadline rule...the new CBA still hasn't even been written yet, AIUI, so I doubt I'll find out in time...

And yes, I'd agree that Morrow has taken more of a beating over the course of his career than Kunitz. Kunitz has only been an NHLer since the 2nd lockout...Morrow has been in the league much longer and he goes to the front of the net as if the goalie's chest protector holds his life savings...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jackmisfit on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:40 pm

Not really reading too much into the Shero being in Minnesota storyline, but since this thread is all about "what if's".... Looking at Capgeek, Minnesota is close to the top in regards to the cap. Setoguchi and Bouchard aren't exactly lighting things up in MN. Would it make sense from both teams perspectives to deal Setoguchi & Bouchard to the Pens for Jeffery, Cooke, and Dupuis (maybe a pick or a young player added)?

On paper, it would make some sense salary wise for MN and Yeo gets some players he probably knows well that can do more for him than Seto & Bouch are doing for him now. From the Pens perspective, they potentially get a physical/scoring winger and a playmaking/scoring winger (if the new scenery helps them get back to better days). The Pens could move Kunitz to Malkins line and put Crosby with Seto/Bouch (if he can't get them to be better, no one will!).

I'm by no means a hockey expert, just a fan. I'm fully expecting to get some "This isn't NHL13" comments, I'm just wondering if this would be feasible.
Jackmisfit

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:45 pm

Jackmisfit wrote:Not really reading too much into the Shero being in Minnesota storyline, but since this thread is all about "what if's".... Looking at Capgeek, Minnesota is close to the top in regards to the cap. Setoguchi and Bouchard aren't exactly lighting things up in MN. Would it make sense from both teams perspectives to deal Setoguchi & Bouchard to the Pens for Jeffery, Cooke, and Dupuis (maybe a pick or a young player added)?

On paper, it would make some sense salary wise for MN and Yeo gets some players he probably knows well that can do more for him than Seto & Bouch are doing for him now. From the Pens perspective, they potentially get a physical/scoring winger and a playmaking/scoring winger (if the new scenery helps them get back to better days). The Pens could move Kunitz to Malkins line and put Crosby with Seto/Bouch (if he can't get them to be better, no one will!).

I'm by no means a hockey expert, just a fan. I'm fully expecting to get some "This isn't NHL13" comments, I'm just wondering if this would be feasible.

Jeffery has little to no value and both Dupuis / Cooke are set to be UFA's.

If the Pens make a move I could see them moving Kennedy, but Minnesota doesnt have anything that I really want.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sil on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:57 pm

Jackmisfit wrote:I'm by no means a hockey expert, just a fan. I'm fully expecting to get some "This isn't NHL13" comments, I'm just wondering if this would be feasible.

Feasible or not, I don't think it would really help us.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jackmisfit on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:08 pm

Yeah, I thought about it a bit more and a deal like that one does seem more likely to be a miss than a hit for the Penguins.
Jackmisfit

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins