Wingers 12-13 season (speculation, name drops, etc)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Wingers 12-13 season (speculation, name drops, etc)

Postby canaan on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:12 pm

Pitts wrote:Jarome Iginla will be a Penguin before this season ends.

i hope so.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 39,287
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 10:13 am
Location: Nevin Shapiro A&M

Re: Wingers 12-13 season (speculation, name drops, etc)

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:13 pm

I would be open to it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 54,023
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Wingers 12-13 season (speculation, name drops, etc)

Postby Three Stars on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:17 pm

How about Robert Shane Stevenson from the Ducks? No idea who they'd want in return.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,577
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:14 pm
Location: And now for something completely different.

Re: Wingers 12-13 season (speculation, name drops, etc)

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:26 pm

Trading depres for a wing isn't unexpected. In fact, for shero's draft strategy to be proven effective, it's 100% necessary to make this type of trade.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,736
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:34 pm

Re: Wingers 12-13 season (speculation, name drops, etc)

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:36 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I'm sick of hearing the "company line" of "neal malkin kunitz" was the best line in hockey. Really? Why?


Assuming this isn't sarcasm, I would venture to say it has something with producing 2 top 10 NHL scoring leaders last season as well as giving a career high in points to Kunitz. That work for you?
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 684
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Wingers 12-13 season (speculation, name drops, etc)

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:39 pm

Ok...and when Kunitz was with Crosby before getting hurt, Crosby was producing at a rate that hasn't been seen in a decade plus. This season has nothing to do with either instance.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 54,023
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Wingers 12-13 season (speculation, name drops, etc)

Postby columbia on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:42 pm

At least Rossi succeeded in getting people to talk about him.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 49,504
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:13 pm
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: Wingers 12-13 season (speculation, name drops, etc)

Postby Defence21 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:45 pm

columbia wrote:At least Rossi succeeded in getting people to talk about him.

I should have noted that I'm not a Rossi fan, nor do I believe what he says. But it seems logical that the Penguins might try to trade some of their defensive depth for a winger, then sign Eaton as an extra -- and possibly trade for another defender at the deadline.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,884
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:01 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Re: Wingers 12-13 season (speculation, name drops, etc)

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:45 pm

I had no idea this thread had anything to do with Rossi.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 54,023
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Wingers 12-13 season (speculation, name drops, etc)

Postby columbia on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:46 pm

It's logical, but I have no reason to believe that he has any inside information.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 49,504
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:13 pm
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: Wingers 12-13 season (speculation, name drops, etc)

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:51 pm

canaan wrote:
Pitts wrote:Jarome Iginla will be a Penguin before this season ends.

i hope so.


Haven't we heard this the last 3 or 4 years and it never happens?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,589
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Wingers 12-13 season (speculation, name drops, etc)

Postby Mad City Mike on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:51 pm

I find Rossi's speculation interesting. I can certainly see Despres being used as a bargaining chip. One has to wonder if he's being showcased right now, since there's no other logical reason why he should be in Pittsburgh instead of WBS.

But it would have to be for, as Rossi puts it, "the next James Neal." Sure, trading for a younger guy is always a bit of a gamble. But there's no way you can trade a guy with the upside of a Despres for rentals like Gagne or Ryder. They are nice players but on downside of their careers. Besides, with Letang's and Geno's contracts coming up, I don't see them taking on any long-term huge salary commitments. Not that those guys have that, but there are others who do.

As for partners, I suppose Edmonton comes to mind. They have lots of talented forwards and a questionable blue line. Maybe Despres can fetch one of those young forwards.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,838
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:14 am
Location: De Forest, WI

Re: Wingers 12-13 season (speculation, name drops, etc)

Postby Three Stars on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:00 pm

There's a certain segment of the Edmonton media that's got pitchforks and torches all ready to run Yakupov out of of town. Maybe we should oblige them.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,577
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:14 pm
Location: And now for something completely different.

Re: Wingers 12-13 season (speculation, name drops, etc)

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:01 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:But it would have to be for, as Rossi puts it, "the next James Neal." Sure, trading for a younger guy is always a bit of a gamble. But there's no way you can trade a guy with the upside of a Despres for rentals like Gagne or Ryder.


agreed. if you trade depres for an established player who has already hit their peak contract, you can put that draft pick in the fail pile. might as well just pick up a player like that in free agency and lose nothing in the process.

but of course i don't think rossi is basing this on anything other than a hunch.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,736
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:34 pm

Re: Wingers 12-13 season (speculation, name drops, etc)

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:08 pm

corey perry
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,525
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:59 pm
Location: The Panda Will Fly Away On A Rainbow

Re: Wingers 12-13 season (speculation, name drops, etc)

Postby sil on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:18 pm

Get Jordan Eberle.

EDM won't do it, but we could offer them...

Spoiler:
Image
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,125
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Wingers 12-13 season (speculation, name drops, etc)

Postby Defence21 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:19 pm

What about Sam Gagner?
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,884
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:01 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Re: Wingers 12-13 season (speculation, name drops, etc)

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:21 pm

sil wrote:Get Jordan Eberle.

EDM won't do it, but we could offer them...

Spoiler:
Image


Hahah. Always loved that one. So ridiculous/random.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,632
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: Wingers 12-13 season (speculation, name drops, etc)

Postby themethod7 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:28 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:As for partners, I suppose Edmonton comes to mind. They have lots of talented forwards and a questionable blue line. Maybe Despres can fetch one of those young forwards.


As much as I'd love to see us grab one of their top forwards, the only ones I'd really want are pretty much untouchable - Eberle, RNH, Hall, Yakupov. Still, on paper there doesn't seem to be better trade partner for the Penguins if they want to move Despres for help at wing, they're stocked with potential top 6 skill guys and outside of Justin Schultz they don't have many strong D prospects.

Nashville would be an obvious choice with the Shero connection, but unfortunately they're as bare at forward prospects as we are.

Another guy I really like is Brandon Saad in Chicago, local kid who plays the game we wish Tangradi would play, but with him getting first line minutes in Chicago alongside Toews and Hossa, I don't see him going anywhere.

Side note, not sure how much I should trust Hockey's Future when it comes to talent analysis if this is what they have to say about Tangradi:
Possessing great size and strength, Tangradi is first and foremost a fantastic net-front presence. He knows how to use his large frame in front of the net and can create match-up problems for opposing defensemen. He has gradually developed a similar type of warrior mentality when battling for loose pucks or playing in high-traffic areas of the ice. His on-ice awareness and vision are also above average to good. Tangradi has also demonstrated an outspoken nature which has led him to be a team leader at many stops throughout his young career.

Despite his massive size and surly on-ice disposition, the big winger was a skill-oriented player for much of his junior career and consequentially, has been learning how to play a power forward game in his last three years in the pros. He appears to have finally figured out the power forward game at the NHL level, and now must prove he is worthy of more opportunities and ice time.

Tangradi has been criticized for his flat-footed skating ability and while it surely is not a strength, there is no evidence at this point to suggest it is a major detriment either.


Did he write that himself??
themethod7
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:27 pm

Re: Wingers 12-13 season (speculation, name drops, etc)

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:31 pm

Defence21 wrote:What about Sam Gagner?


that'll do. he's still an RFA after this contract, he certainly has the skill (and the wheels i imagine) to hang with sid or geno. he'd add some scoring depth to the #2 power play.

though edmonton is going to need these mid-level skill guys to fill out their roster at some point. a home-grown guy who puts up 20 and 35 per 82 games is someone you can usually keep at a good price.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,736
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:34 pm

Re: Wingers 12-13 season (speculation, name drops, etc)

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:44 pm

Defence21 wrote:What about Sam Gagner?


I like him a lot. Top level talent but hasn't been able to put it together yet other than that small outburst last season.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 54,023
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Wingers 12-13 season (speculation, name drops, etc)

Postby canaan on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:59 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
canaan wrote:
Pitts wrote:Jarome Iginla will be a Penguin before this season ends.

i hope so.


Haven't we heard this the last 3 or 4 years and it never happens?

i dont think ive ever heard iginla to PIT prior to this season except for people talking that maybe during this season that it could happen because it would be the end of his contract.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 39,287
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 10:13 am
Location: Nevin Shapiro A&M

Re: Wingers 12-13 season (speculation, name drops, etc)

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:03 pm

canaan wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
canaan wrote:
Pitts wrote:Jarome Iginla will be a Penguin before this season ends.

i hope so.


Haven't we heard this the last 3 or 4 years and it never happens?

i dont think ive ever heard iginla to PIT prior to this season except for people talking that maybe during this season that it could happen because it would be the end of his contract.


You must've missed the 5 or 6 threads on it last year.

I've also heard it (outside of LGP) from various people at least since 09-10.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,589
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Wingers 12-13 season (speculation, name drops, etc)

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:09 pm

canaan wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
canaan wrote:
Pitts wrote:Jarome Iginla will be a Penguin before this season ends.

i hope so.


Haven't we heard this the last 3 or 4 years and it never happens?

i dont think ive ever heard iginla to PIT prior to this season except for people talking that maybe during this season that it could happen because it would be the end of his contract.


Been hearing about it since the olympics.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 54,023
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Wingers 12-13 season (speculation, name drops, etc)

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:15 pm

themethod7 wrote:Side note, not sure how much I should trust Hockey's Future when it comes to talent analysis if this is what they have to say about Tangradi:
Possessing great size and strength, Tangradi is first and foremost a fantastic net-front presence. He knows how to use his large frame in front of the net and can create match-up problems for opposing defensemen. He has gradually developed a similar type of warrior mentality when battling for loose pucks or playing in high-traffic areas of the ice. His on-ice awareness and vision are also above average to good. Tangradi has also demonstrated an outspoken nature which has led him to be a team leader at many stops throughout his young career.

Despite his massive size and surly on-ice disposition, the big winger was a skill-oriented player for much of his junior career and consequentially, has been learning how to play a power forward game in his last three years in the pros. He appears to have finally figured out the power forward game at the NHL level, and now must prove he is worthy of more opportunities and ice time.

Tangradi has been criticized for his flat-footed skating ability and while it surely is not a strength, there is no evidence at this point to suggest it is a major detriment either.


My God that is the stupidest thing I have ever read. It is 99% wrong. The only part that is correct is the flat-footed skating style but even that is wrong in that it isn't a major detriment. It is. It is a MAJOR detriment.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,357
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:28 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: GSdrums87 and 18 guests


e-mail