Wingers 12-13 season (speculation, name drops, etc)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Wingers 12-13 season (speculation, name drops, etc)

Postby Pitts on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:20 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
canaan wrote:
Pitts wrote:Jarome Iginla will be a Penguin before this season ends.

i hope so.

Haven't we heard this the last 3 or 4 years and it never happens?

But, this time, he's UFA after this season.

Calgary will once again suck their way out of the playoffs.

Iginla will come here for his glory shot at the Cup.

He's the perfect "vet" player they have been missing since Roberts/Guerin showed the young guns show to get it done. I think they need that player to remind them again.

Iginla signs with the Pens again next season for about $2 -2.5 mil per for 2-3 seasons to finish out his run.

Answer to Crosby's wing = found.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:31 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
themethod7 wrote:Side note, not sure how much I should trust Hockey's Future when it comes to talent analysis if this is what they have to say about Tangradi:
Possessing great size and strength, Tangradi is first and foremost a fantastic net-front presence. He knows how to use his large frame in front of the net and can create match-up problems for opposing defensemen. He has gradually developed a similar type of warrior mentality when battling for loose pucks or playing in high-traffic areas of the ice. His on-ice awareness and vision are also above average to good. Tangradi has also demonstrated an outspoken nature which has led him to be a team leader at many stops throughout his young career.

Despite his massive size and surly on-ice disposition, the big winger was a skill-oriented player for much of his junior career and consequentially, has been learning how to play a power forward game in his last three years in the pros. He appears to have finally figured out the power forward game at the NHL level, and now must prove he is worthy of more opportunities and ice time.

Tangradi has been criticized for his flat-footed skating ability and while it surely is not a strength, there is no evidence at this point to suggest it is a major detriment either.

My God that is the stupidest thing I have ever read. It is 99% wrong. The only part that is correct is the flat-footed skating style but even that is wrong in that it isn't a major detriment. It is. It is a MAJOR detriment.

It sounds pretty accurate to how he's played in WBS.

I will argue your point about his skating, though. Even through the first 3 games we've seen that Tangradi's straight-line speed isn't a big issue; he hasn't looked out of place in that manner. Where he has looked out of place is in strength, agility, awareness, and endurance.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:31 pm

what i would give up for iginla <<< what it will take to get iginla
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:32 pm

The Snapshot wrote:My God that is the stupidest thing I have ever read. It is 99% wrong. The only part that is correct is the flat-footed skating style but even that is wrong in that it isn't a major detriment. It is. It is a MAJOR detriment.

Well, I mean... it's a scouting report. It was true at the junior level. Clearly in the context of the NHL, not so much.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:35 pm

shmenguin wrote:what i would give up for iginla <<< what it will take to get iginla

Please expand ...
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:37 pm

Pitts wrote:
shmenguin wrote:what i would give up for iginla <<< what it will take to get iginla

Please expand ...

Picks, and maybe a minor leaguer, at best. Calgary has absolutely 0 bargaining power in this situation, IMO.

They'll probably ask for something near his value (read: NHL talent).
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:38 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Defence21 wrote:What about Sam Gagner?

I like him a lot. Top level talent but hasn't been able to put it together yet other than that small outburst last season.

He had 18 goals and 29 assists last year, so while his huge game and mini-outburst certainly padded his stats, he also showed he can put up some points at the NHL level. Like you, I think he'd be a pretty nice fit on this team.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby themethod7 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:38 pm

I think that depends entirely on his loyalty to Calgary. He's a UFA after this season, he wants to win a cup and he's not getting any younger, and Calgary is nowhere close to being a Stanley Cup team. If it looks like they could lose him at the end of the season for nothing, I don't think it's out of the question for the price to be right for Shero to pull the trigger.
themethod7

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:39 pm

Defence21 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

I like him a lot. Top level talent but hasn't been able to put it together yet other than that small outburst last season.

He had 18 goals and 29 assists last year, so while his huge game and mini-outburst certainly padded his stats, he also showed he can put up some points at the NHL level. Like you, I think he'd be a pretty nice fit on this team.

Isn't Gagner a center?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:40 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Defence21 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

Isn't Gagner a center?

He plays center and wing.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:41 pm

Defence21 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

Still very young too. If that team wasn't so pathetic, he'd have spent a lot more time growing in the AHL and people wouldn't be looking at the length of time he's been around.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Defence21 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:43 pm

themethod7 wrote:

I think that depends entirely on his loyalty to Calgary. He's a UFA after this season, he wants to win a cup and he's not getting any younger, and Calgary is nowhere close to being a Stanley Cup team. If it looks like they could lose him at the end of the season for nothing, I don't think it's out of the question for the price to be right for Shero to pull the trigger.

Actually, it depends on whether he is placed on the market. If the answer is yes: every team in the playoff hunt will be interested. If the answer is no: he stays in Calgary. The price may very well be right for Shero, but it won't be because the price is cheap. Iginla will be highly sought-after at the deadline, and the only way he's traded for "cheap" is if Calgary mishandles the situation the way Atlanta did with Hossa, waiting until the very last minute, then pulling the trigger in the last minute on a lesser deal than what could have been had earlier in the day.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:43 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Pitts wrote:

Please expand ...

Picks, and maybe a minor leaguer, at best. Calgary has absolutely 0 bargaining power in this situation, IMO.

They'll probably ask for something near his value (read: NHL talent).

I would agree. Definitelt not any of our blue-chip d prospects. Perhaps Tangradi and a 3rd?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:46 pm

Defence21 wrote:Actually, it depends on whether he is placed on the market. If the answer is yes: every team in the playoff hunt will be interested. If the answer is no: he stays in Calgary. The price may very well be right for Shero, but it won't be because the price is cheap. Iginla will be highly sought-after at the deadline, and the only way he's traded for "cheap" is if Calgary mishandles the situation the way Atlanta did with Hossa, waiting until the very last minute, then pulling the trigger in the last minute on a lesser deal than what could have been had earlier in the day.

Wow, I think you hit the nail on the head! Not sure of Iginla has an NTC to help dictate where he goes. That would be nice. Calgary has shown to be pretty inept at asset management, so this may very well be another Hossa deal! :)
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:48 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Defence21 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

Still very young too. If that team wasn't so pathetic, he'd have spent a lot more time growing in the AHL and people wouldn't be looking at the length of time he's been around.

I also seem to recall that, up until his big game, he was on the block. Then the big game happened and the Oilers took a step back to see what he could do with the confidence he had gained. It likely was a smart idea for them, as he finished near 50 points last season and, as you said, has age extremely on his side. I'd be shocked if they would decline a straight up Despres for Gagne deal. The question, though, is sending Despres for Gagne equal value for the Pens? Despres hasn't proven anything yet, but he has huge upside and has age even more on his side than Gagne.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Elementary Penguin on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:48 pm

Ideally, they pick up Iginla as a rental once the Flames fall out of contention, then go hard after Corey Perry in the offseason. Of course, this assumes that Calgary joins the real world and realizes that they need to rebuild.
Elementary Penguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby tfrizz on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:49 pm

Pitts wrote:Perhaps Tangradi and a 3rd?

That'd get you maybe a 2nd round pick in return right now.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Defence21 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:49 pm

Pitts wrote:
Defence21 wrote:Actually, it depends on whether he is placed on the market. If the answer is yes: every team in the playoff hunt will be interested. If the answer is no: he stays in Calgary. The price may very well be right for Shero, but it won't be because the price is cheap. Iginla will be highly sought-after at the deadline, and the only way he's traded for "cheap" is if Calgary mishandles the situation the way Atlanta did with Hossa, waiting until the very last minute, then pulling the trigger in the last minute on a lesser deal than what could have been had earlier in the day.

Wow, I think you hit the nail on the head! Not sure of Iginla has an NTC to help dictate where he goes. That would be nice. Calgary has shown to be pretty inept at asset management, so this may very well be another Hossa deal! :)

I hit the nail every once in a while. Usually, though, my thumb hurts. :lol:
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:50 pm

Perry and Getzlaf will both be re-signed by Anaheim. You want to pick on Anaheim, they would be more inclined to move Ryan I'd say. And He's more of a pure winger option anyway.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:53 pm

And we don't have what it takes to get a Bobby Ryan unless he's fallen that far out of favor with Anaheim.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:53 pm

MRandall25 wrote:And we don't have what it takes to get a Bobby Ryan unless he's fallen that far out of favor with Anaheim.

I don't think he's fallen out of favour with Anaheim at all, but Anaheim has fallen out of favour with him. He's been pretty up-front about wanting to get out of there.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby HomerPenguin on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:55 pm

If they deal Despres for a winger, then all this vaunted defensive depth they started the season with is going to leave them in desperate need (if they aren't already) of another defenseman. By which I mean a quality defenseman, not the last vestiges of Mark Eaton.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Defence21 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:56 pm

Elementary Penguin wrote:Ideally, they pick up Iginla as a rental once the Flames fall out of contention, then go hard after Corey Perry in the offseason. Of course, this assumes that Calgary joins the real world and realizes that they need to rebuild.

They won't have the cap space for Perry if they have hopes of keeping Malkin and Letang. I understand the desire to load up with high-end talent, but with the cap dropping roughly $6 million for next season, it just isn't in the cards. That's why the Penguins will need to seek out young players to groom as their own (for example, Gagner) or aging veterans on the decline and seeking a Stanley Cup farewell (for example, Iginla).
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:01 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:If they deal Despres for a winger, then all this vaunted defensive depth they started the season with is going to leave them in desperate need (if they aren't already) of another defenseman. By which I mean a quality defenseman, not the last vestiges of Mark Eaton.

True, but a veteran stay-at-home defenseman potentially could come on the cheap, both in terms of assets and salary. Dealing Despres now doesn't even necessarily hurt the team's depth, as he's been skating little and is a healthy scratch tonight. If they're going to ship out a rookie defenseman who is playing little, shouldn't Bortuzzo be able to handle the icetime void in the short-term...and maybe even the long term?

In the pipeline or Morrow, Matta, Pouliot, and Doumilin. The depth in the prospect pool is there, and while I'm entirely against the Mark Madden "trade the future for the present" argument, I see no issue with dealing from a position of strength (defense prospects) for a position of need (legit scoring wingers), while using mid-round picks and middling "prospects" to acquire depth defense for a playoff run.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:01 pm

Defence21 wrote:I also seem to recall that, up until his big game, he was on the block. Then the big game happened and the Oilers took a step back to see what he could do with the confidence he had gained. It likely was a smart idea for them, as he finished near 50 points last season and, as you said, has age extremely on his side. I'd be shocked if they would decline a straight up Despres for Gagne deal. The question, though, is sending Despres for Gagne equal value for the Pens? Despres hasn't proven anything yet, but he has huge upside and has age even more on his side than Gagne.

He was definitely on the block leading up to that. Not sure why they didn't just try to use that to get more out of him then though.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins