OFFICIAL GDT: PENGUINS v. JETS 1/25/13

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: OFFICIAL GDT: PENGUINS v. JETS 1/25/13

Postby Bowser on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:54 am

the lack of commitment, the lack of composure, the lack of defense, the lack of simplicity, the lack of power plays, the lack of adjustments and the lack of options is a bit of a concern.

It is only four games but there’s been little cohesion among Crosby, Kunitz and Dupuis. Those three haven’t had that many quality shifts, maybe tonight was their best in the first period with the two goals but after that, it was a quiet night.

On the second line, who is the defensive presence? It surely wasn’t Tangradi in the first three games and won’t be Kennedy. The Penguins can’t expect a guy who hasn’t played on his off wing to be able to adjust and manage the boards along left wing wall or get himself in a trigger position for one-timers.

The third line was messed up with Kennedy bumped up and Cooke shifted over to the right wing as Glass stayed at left wing. Sutter was quiet and could that have been result of playing with a new winger and another in a new position of sorts.

Lone guy I saw moving his legs all night was Vitale… a 4th line center.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,963
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:08 am

Re: OFFICIAL GDT: PENGUINS v. JETS 1/25/13

Postby The Snapshot on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:10 am

DelPen wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
Looks like you're the one who doesn't know what an aneurysm is...


Anyone who needs to be rushed to the hospital tonight because they gave themselves a serious medical condition please check in when you are released from the ICU.


I'm back. It was a cramp.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,276
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:28 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there

Re: OFFICIAL GDT: PENGUINS v. JETS 1/25/13

Postby Bioshock on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:45 am

The fact that Tangradi was moved to the 4th line set in motion enough dominoes to make a significant difference

However you wanna state it, the failure of Tangradi made the Pens put TK on the second line. This made TK play in his off wing. A position he isn't accustomed to. This also created the situation where Glass was moved up to the third line and Cooke had to play out of position as well.

The fact that you had two lines this evening with players at positions with little experience at those said positions creates an environment that lends itself to turnovers. Couple that with the overall sloppy play of the last 120 minutes and you have what we all saw this evening.

I will bet any money that Shero sees this and well address this sooner, not later. Either through trade or promotion of Bennett.

Also, for those who wanna see Jeffrey, the position that is open on the second line is more of a checking role. That is why Tangradi was given first crack at it. Can Jeffrey do that? Is he even that type of player? I always was under the assumption that he was a distributing centerman. Also, whenever he played the wing, i always found him to be underwhelming.

It's only 4 games in. Plenty of time to evaluate and plan for what needs to be done. Not time to panic in the least. Their biggest issue (Puck management) is totally fixable with the roster currently as is.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,754
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:55 pm
Location: Mt. Lebanon

Re: OFFICIAL GDT: PENGUINS v. JETS 1/25/13

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:47 am

OK, just checking in now. So, 4 unanswered? What the...

ah, the hell with it. On to Ottawa.

G'night. :(

OK, wait: I know much needs to be fixed with our favorite hockey club, and we all want it to be fixed asap because we could find ourselves running out of time very soon. We've got 44 games left.

It could be worse:

Image
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,695
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: TOOTBLAN

Re: OFFICIAL GDT: PENGUINS v. JETS 1/25/13

Postby bh on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:17 am

Ok, Just finished watching the game on DVR.

The Pens plain and simple are not careful with the puck. They throw it around all willy nilly all game.
First goal of the canes was a prefect example. Cooke gave it right to a guy speeding in the zone when he had time and space to be careful with his pass. There were so many bad passes this game, and not just bad, out and out dangerous. This game could have been a lot worse if Vokoun didn't bring his A game. I think DB has to be the one to blame. The team just can't play this way and expect to get far.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,497
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:48 am

Re: OFFICIAL GDT: PENGUINS v. JETS 1/25/13

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:07 am

Mr. Colby wrote:I'd also like to discuss my disgust with the unwillingness of Penguin players to get to the dirty areas of the ice, both offensively and defensively


We never ever cycle the puck on offense. Ever.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,065
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:42 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Re: OFFICIAL GDT: PENGUINS v. JETS 1/25/13

Postby The U on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:15 am

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:I'd also like to discuss my disgust with the unwillingness of Penguin players to get to the dirty areas of the ice, both offensively and defensively


We never ever cycle the puck on offense. Ever.


That was a staple of our offense when Bylsma first took over.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,453
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:34 pm

Re: OFFICIAL GDT: PENGUINS v. JETS 1/25/13

Postby Pens4Life on Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:57 am

I think we should stop experimenting with who fits Geno and Neal best!? Its Kunitz!!! Even Cooke would be better on that line,who needs grinder along Geno and NEal.. Call up Bennett,put him on 1st line with Sid,Kuny to 2nd line.. TK back to 3rd.. Tangradi benched..

Bennett - Crosby - Dupuis
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Kennedy
Jeffrey - Vitale - Glass

Vokoun right now is also better than MAF..

Blysma is on thin ice!
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,479
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:02 pm
Location: Slovenia

Re: OFFICIAL GDT: PENGUINS v. JETS 1/25/13

Postby André on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:21 am

Sid's best game so far. Hopefully that line gets going.

Offensively I liked Kennedy with Neal and Malkin. He got shots off from his left side, made nice plays up to the point, didn't look out of place. Defensively those guys didn't mesh though. Didn't help that Geno had an unfocused game, however. 8 SOG and a few scoring chances but still not a good game from him (which is kind of scary, but still). He wasn't giving a 100% effort.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,317
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:51 am
Location: Gävle, Sweden

Re: OFFICIAL GDT: PENGUINS v. JETS 1/25/13

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:19 am

Pitts wrote:
iWonTheCup87 wrote:
Pitts wrote:
iWonTheCup87 wrote:2 games in a row we have had huge letdowns 2nd period and awful third periods. If you arent concerned i dont know what would concern people who insist its only 4 games when we keep making the same stupid mistakes time and time again.

We are 4 games in, the team is 2-2 and currently 2nd in their division. Yes, time to throw in the towel.


clearly since i said the pens season was over. Its like some of you dont even read the posts you just immediately assume some people are freaking out and giving up.

I SAID they keep doing the same stupid things esp from top players. How is that not concerning when its not changing? please tell me how its good and stop saying its only 4 games in that is a stupid cop out.

Holy over reaction dude. Do me a favor...turn off the tv, drink a beer and chill some. The sun will, in fact, rise tomorrow.


I have a strange feeling this poster isn't old enough to legally drink a beer. The Pens lost. They're 2-2. Yes its a short season, but lets not blow it way the heck out of proportion. I think the media has got everyone so riled up over this short season that its oversold at this point. As Bob Mckenzie wrote in a column on TSN, ignore the first week, start taking notes the second, and by the 3-4 what you see is what you got.

Yes it is concerning to see the same style of play, the same type of mistakes that proved to be the undoing last year cropping up this year, coupled with a few holes in the lineup going unaddressed. But, its the first week of the season. Much to early to pull a trade of any magnitude, even in a shorter season. HCDB isn't going anywhere this season so lets hope that he and his staff can figure it out.

One thing that I didn't like hearing during the postgame was Bylsma really seemed to be placing alot of blame on the 'long change' of the second period, instead of on all the turnovers. He was asked directly about turnovers a few times and seemed to place blame at 20% turnover, 80% long change.

In 2009 they won because Bylsma released the shackles of the MT system and got the offensive chugging. Now the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction and he needs to reign it in a bit. Tony Granatos Avalanche team was a defensive squad I always thought, so hopefully he gets his fair share of input and can reel it in.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,700
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:10 pm
Location: refs fault

Re: OFFICIAL GDT: PENGUINS v. JETS 1/25/13

Postby tfrizz on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:07 pm

Pens4Life wrote:I think we should stop experimenting with who fits Geno and Neal best!? Its Kunitz!!! Even Cooke would be better on that line,who needs grinder along Geno and NEal.. Call up Bennett,put him on 1st line with Sid,Kuny to 2nd line.. TK back to 3rd.. Tangradi benched..

Bennett - Crosby - Dupuis
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Kennedy
Jeffrey - Vitale - Glass

Vokoun right now is also better than MAF..

Blysma is on thin ice!


Can't do it... the roster is full.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,137
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: OFFICIAL GDT: PENGUINS v. JETS 1/25/13

Postby luv66 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:05 pm

tfrizz wrote:
Pens4Life wrote:I think we should stop experimenting with who fits Geno and Neal best!? Its Kunitz!!! Even Cooke would be better on that line,who needs grinder along Geno and NEal.. Call up Bennett,put him on 1st line with Sid,Kuny to 2nd line.. TK back to 3rd.. Tangradi benched..

Bennett - Crosby - Dupuis
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Kennedy
Jeffrey - Vitale - Glass

Vokoun right now is also better than MAF..

Blysma is on thin ice!


Can't do it... the roster is full.



I don't think the Pens have any plans to bring up Bennett this year unless there is a rash of injuries and even then I think they would rather bring in a rental, just my gut feeling. However, I would also like to see Kunitz back on the Malkin line and maybe put Cooke with Sid and Duper. Put TK back on the third line. TK did a better job on Geno's line than I thought he would but I liked the chemistry of Cookie and Sid /Malkin Neal and Kunitz we saw in the past.
Last edited by luv66 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
luv66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,036
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:17 pm

Re: OFFICIAL GDT: PENGUINS v. JETS 1/25/13

Postby tfrizz on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:11 pm

luv66 wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
Pens4Life wrote:I think we should stop experimenting with who fits Geno and Neal best!? Its Kunitz!!! Even Cooke would be better on that line,who needs grinder along Geno and NEal.. Call up Bennett,put him on 1st line with Sid,Kuny to 2nd line.. TK back to 3rd.. Tangradi benched..

Bennett - Crosby - Dupuis
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Kennedy
Jeffrey - Vitale - Glass

Vokoun right now is also better than MAF..

Blysma is on thin ice!


Can't do it... the roster is full.



I don't think the Pens have any plans to bring up Bennett this year unless there is a rash of injuries and even then I think they would rather bring in a rental, just my gut feeling. However, I would also like to see Kunitz back on the Malkin line and maybe put Cooke with Sid and Duper. Put TK back on the third line. TK did a better job on Geno's line than I thought he would but I liked the chemistry of Cookie and Sid /Malkin Neal and Kinitz we saw in the past.


I wouldn't mind it. I wouldn't even be opposed to Tangradi getting a "tryout" on Crosby's line, since some of his best shifts seemed to have come with Sid, if not for anything but getting the other lines back together.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,137
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: OFFICIAL GDT: PENGUINS v. JETS 1/25/13

Postby Gaucho on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:14 pm

Pens4Life wrote:Vokoun right now is also better than MAF.


He is?

Well, judging by a whopping 8,33% of the season, we can at least assume that goaltending is by far the least if our poblems.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 40,748
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: OFFICIAL GDT: PENGUINS v. JETS 1/25/13

Postby tfrizz on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:25 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Pens4Life wrote:Vokoun right now is also better than MAF.


He is?

Well, judging by a whopping 8,33% of the season, we can at least assume that goaltending is by far the least if our poblems.


:thumb:

Goaltending has been good in all 4 games IMO. Eliminate the defensive zone turnovers and/or actually play some defense and they could be 4-0.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,137
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: OFFICIAL GDT: PENGUINS v. JETS 1/25/13

Postby dman66 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:27 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Pens4Life wrote:Vokoun right now is also better than MAF.


He is?

Well, judging by a whopping 8,33% of the season, we can at least assume that goaltending is by far the least if our poblems.


Yeah. Goaltending hasn't been an issue in any of the games yet. I've been fine with Vokoun and Fleury's play so far.
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,783
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:04 pm
Location: Dahntahn Baltimore, MD

Re: OFFICIAL GDT: PENGUINS v. JETS 1/25/13

Postby offsides on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:47 pm

tfrizz wrote:
I wouldn't mind it. I wouldn't even be opposed to Tangradi getting a "tryout" on Crosby's line, since some of his best shifts seemed to have come with Sid, if not for anything but getting the other lines back together.


I would rather see anybody there except ET. To me, it's like starting a dump truck in a NASCAR race.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,422
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Man Cave in Washington, PA

Re: OFFICIAL GDT: PENGUINS v. JETS 1/25/13

Postby meecrofilm on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:48 pm

If TK's gonna be with Malkin and Neal next game, he and Neal should definitely switch sides.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,390
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: OFFICIAL GDT: PENGUINS v. JETS 1/25/13

Postby tfrizz on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:54 pm

offsides wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
I wouldn't mind it. I wouldn't even be opposed to Tangradi getting a "tryout" on Crosby's line, since some of his best shifts seemed to have come with Sid, if not for anything but getting the other lines back together.


I would rather see anybody there except ET. To me, it's like starting a dump truck in a NASCAR race.


The problem is the only options are Tangradi or Jeffrey, and neither one of them fit. I'd be all for pre-injury Jeffrey getting a shot, but he hasn't even been close to the same player since. I'm not even sure Bennett is ready for top-6 duty right now, but he won't get a shot anyway because the Pens can't afford the hit to their (lack of) forward depth if Tangradi or Jeffrey get claimed off waivers.


Shero has done a fantastic job building defensive depth throughout the organization, but the Pens are as thin as anyone at forward and had non-existent depth in goal until last summer.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,137
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: OFFICIAL GDT: PENGUINS v. JETS 1/25/13

Postby offsides on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:34 pm

tfrizz wrote:
offsides wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
I wouldn't mind it. I wouldn't even be opposed to Tangradi getting a "tryout" on Crosby's line, since some of his best shifts seemed to have come with Sid, if not for anything but getting the other lines back together.


I would rather see anybody there except ET. To me, it's like starting a dump truck in a NASCAR race.


The problem is the only options are Tangradi or Jeffrey, and neither one of them fit. I'd be all for pre-injury Jeffrey getting a shot, but he hasn't even been close to the same player since. I'm not even sure Bennett is ready for top-6 duty right now, but he won't get a shot anyway because the Pens can't afford the hit to their (lack of) forward depth if Tangradi or Jeffrey get claimed off waivers.


Shero has done a fantastic job building defensive depth throughout the organization, but the Pens are as thin as anyone at forward and had non-existent depth in goal until last summer.


I'd rather give Vitale a shot for a couple games. I'm done with the ET experiment (1 goal in 44 games, srsly). He has had more than enough chances, even more than Chris Bourke.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,422
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Man Cave in Washington, PA

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blurryhaze312, skullman80 and 7 guests

e-mail