Fire DB

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Fire DB

Postby columbia on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:08 pm

Do people believe that DB operates in a vacuum re: whom to play, without input and conversations with Shero?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby wondermoose on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:11 pm

Jamie wrote:The defensive system was based around puck possession. You know, have it more than the other team and play in their end scenario. Getting to "our game". The problem is we seem to spend more time in our end beacuase we can't clear and let teams establish play in our D-zone. I do not think we have the personnel to rule the puck possession game as is. Seems like we are getting to "our game", less and less.

I watched the Hawks-Wings game yesterday and realized just how far behind the Pens really are from those two teams. There's no messing around when the puck is in their zone. No drop-passes or east-west tomfoolery; straight up the boards to neutral ice. All of the Pens' defensemen play with the puck in their own zone and this goes under the coach's responsibility column for allowing it. What's even stranger is it was Bylsma that preached going north-south, but no longer holds certain long-haired French Canadian defensemen, who will remain nameless, accountable.

We need some meat-and-potatoes guys, but I guess Eaton is a step in the right direction to bringing balance back to the blue line.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:03 pm

Blysma doesn't do things the way I think they should be done.

Fire Bylsma.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:33 pm

columbia wrote:Do people believe that DB operates in a vacuum re: whom to play, without input and conversations with Shero?

A good question. Here's how I imagine it.

ACTR has substantial input on D's play and who he'd like to see.
ACTG has substantial input on PK, PP and forwards who he'd like to see.
HCDB has definitive say.

There is a season playbook/forecast of games broken down into 4 quarters (more for goalies, but rookies are factoring in)

Factor in injuries, winning streak, special matchups (toughness, speed, etc) and a lineup is made.

GMRS provides opinions which carry weight (his plus Mario, etc) and not following some of them are sure fire ways to get canned.

So HCDB is the final say, but he gets input from his entire staff and GMRS.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:43 pm

columbia wrote:Do people believe that DB operates in a vacuum re: whom to play, without input and conversations with Shero?

Based on 24/7, where they sat down and went through each individual player's performance and assigned them a grade from 1 through 3 after every game, it seems this is most definitely not the case. I'd bet Shero has final say on a lot of this stuff if he feels strongly enough about it/it fits into whatever genius plan he is about to execute in the next 4 weeks. And no, I will not be dissuaded from believing in the existence of such a plan, because: please God let him have a plan.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:44 pm

slappybrown wrote:

Based on 24/7, where they sat down and went through each individual player's performance and assigned them a grade from 1 through 3 after every game, it seems this is most definitely not the case. I'd bet Shero has final say on a lot of this stuff if he feels strongly enough about it/it fits into whatever genius plan he is about to execute in the next 4 weeks. And no, I will not be dissuaded from believing in the existence of such a plan, because: please God let him have a plan.

Yeah, I'm not sure how someone could have watched those particular segments of 24/7 and believe that DB is some loose canaan cannon with doling out playing time, to suit his personal agenda.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby wondermoose on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:24 pm

Penspal wrote:

A good question. Here's how I imagine it.

ACTR has substantial input on D's play and who he'd like to see.
ACTG has substantial input on PK, PP and forwards who he'd like to see.
HCDB has definitive say.

There is a season playbook/forecast of games broken down into 4 quarters (more for goalies, but rookies are factoring in)

Factor in injuries, winning streak, special matchups (toughness, speed, etc) and a lineup is made.

GMRS provides opinions which carry weight (his plus Mario, etc) and not following some of them are sure fire ways to get canned.

So HCDB is the final say, but he gets input from his entire staff and GMRS.

Your usage of initials infuriates me.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Factorial on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:36 pm

Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Desiato on Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:53 pm

...just warming this thread up.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sniper on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:05 pm

Pittsburgh Penguin Hockey.....Stand around and watch. When killing penalties try your best to be a traffic cone.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:13 pm

Might as welll...
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:27 pm

:pop:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:28 pm

Nothing to see here.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:40 pm

:pop: :pop:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:43 pm

:pop: :pop: :pop:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:50 pm

Spoiler:
No popcorn here, sorry.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SteelCityFan on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:07 am

I've always been a Disco Dan fan BUT if he starts Engellend over Despres one more time, regardless of the team we're playing, I'm going to have to start taking this thread seriously
SteelCityFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JoseCuervo on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:49 am

SteelCityFan wrote:I've always been a Disco Dan fan BUT if he starts Engellend over Despres one more time, regardless of the team we're playing, I'm going to have to start taking this thread seriously

1. DB and Shero both discuss the personnel and conclude who gets to play, so it isn't just HCDB who is deciding to sit Despres.
2. While it may have been minor, Despres was injured in practice. Even minor injuries can impact a player's performance.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Desiato on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:52 am

SteelCityFan wrote:I've always been a Disco Dan fan BUT if he starts Engellend over Despres one more time, regardless of the team we're playing, I'm going to have to start taking this thread seriously

Do you think Engellend is the reason why the Pens have the worst defense of playoff bound teams? I see value in starting Despres for developmental purposes, but I don't see him as a big solution to the problems.

I think that we put too much onus on the plays moments before goals against and not enough on how those plays develop in the first place--poor clearing/breakouts, turnovers, poor neutral zone play. I think those elements conspire to make the players look worse than they really are. Especially after they've already scrambled multiple times. Not that I'm necessarily defending Engellend.

To me, this was another ugly win with talent overcoming system issues. Really, with how the Pens play D, it's a surprise they don't allow more goals.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:57 am

Desiato wrote:

Do you think Engellend is the reason why the Pens have the worst defense of playoff bound teams? I see value in starting Despres for developmental purposes, but I don't see him as a big solution to the problems.

An improvement is an improvement.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:02 am

I'd much rather Despres get the experience now, as they cited last year his lack of experience is what kept him out of the play-offs.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:05 am

I'd much rather he get the experience now, as he is better than the alternatives.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:10 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I'd much rather he get the experience now, as he is better than the alternatives.

Agree with it as well. If Engo is that "much needed toughness" but really just stands there, what is he providing? I still saw our defense literally letting Simmonds just hang out there in front of the net again.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:17 am

JoseCuervo wrote:

1. DB and Shero both discuss the personnel and conclude who gets to play, so it isn't just HCDB who is deciding to sit Despres.
2. While it may have been minor, Despres was injured in practice. Even minor injuries can impact a player's performance.

Yeah the injury while most likely minor would probably be the main reason to have him sit. Especially against a team like Philly that if it sensed he was injured at all would go all that more hard at him IMO.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby joopen on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:10 am

Pavel Bure wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:

Yeah the injury while most likely minor would probably be the main reason to have him sit. Especially against a team like Philly that if it sensed he was injured at all would go all that more hard at him IMO.

Fingernail...
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins