Fire DB

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: fire db

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:51 pm

Gaucho wrote:Call me crazy, but I don't think firing Bylsma has ever crossed Shero's mind for even a second.

I agree, and while many disagree, I don't think the situation calls for it unless mikey's right and Bylsma's truly lost the team. But, at this point, it doesn't seem to me that the team is playing as though they've been "lost." It seems to me that they simply have gotten away from the details that have made them successful. Sometimes the simplest answer is the right one. So, say that's the case. An adjustment in philosophy and approach is more effective from cost, time, morale, and performance perspectives. Shero's going to talk with DB during their rating sessions and get him to agree to adjust and figure it out and give him some time (no idea how long) to do it. It's Management 101.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Bowser on Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:56 pm

Lt. Dish - What option does Shero have? He's going to stick with Bylsma and hope for the best and if it doesn't work, they'll probably go in a different direction after the season. There's enough talent on this roster for these guys to play more as a team, more as a 5-man unit, and most importantly, win. As much as I think Shero's done a terrible job drafting, he's still found ways to get a roster loaded to win for the foreseeable future.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:57 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:it seems to me that there's more reliance on name recognition (Carter? Perry? Getzlaf? Again, Carter?) than a reasoned consideration of how those guys play and how they would actually address what we need.

Spoiler:

Danke for my German word of the day. :D
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:58 pm

Carter could really enhance the uptown party scene and spur economic development.
That's not enough for you?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:02 pm

Bowser wrote:Lt. Dish - What option does Shero have? He's going to stick with Bylsma and hope for the best and if it doesn't work, they'll probably go in a different direction after the season. There's enough talent on this roster for these guys to play more as a team, more as a 5-man unit, and most importantly, win. As much as I think Shero's done a terrible job drafting, he's still found ways to get a roster loaded to win for the foreseeable future.

Yep, Bowser. Sounds like we're on the same page with this one.

Aside: Are you named after the "Power of Bowser" (yeeeaahh...)* or the guy from Sha-Na-Na? :pop:

* If you're not from SW PA, then I'll tell you it's a car dealership
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:02 pm

Hopefully Paul Maurice is available this summer if we get bounced in the 1st round again, or worse, not even make the playoffs.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Godric on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:04 pm

Gaucho wrote:Call me crazy, but I don't think firing Bylsma has ever crossed Shero's mind for even a second.

If that's correct then Shero is crazy.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby pugilist13 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:04 pm

Bowser wrote:Craig Patrick was justly ripped for having terrible drafts from 94-99 and since drafting Jordan Staal number two overall in 2006, the highest goal scoring forward is Dustin Jeffrey with 12 goals in 67 games.

Craig Partrick from 94-99
99 - Ryan Malone 171 goals, Tom Kostopolous 60 goals
98 - Milan Kraft 41 goals, Toby Petersen 33
95 - Alexei Morozov 84, Jan Hrdina 101
94 - Richard Park 102, Serge Aubin 44

Ray Shero from 06-12 (any goal scorer at F)
12 - none
11 - none
10 - none
09 - none
08 - none
07 - Luca Caputi 3, Dustin Jeffrey 12
06 - Jordan Staal 120

Pathetic doesn't even describe Shero's work in the draft at forward.

The knock on Patrick was ignoring defensemen, from 94-99 he drafted these guys who played at least 1 game in NHL
94 - Sven Butenschoen
95 - none
96 - Pavel Skrbek, Michal Rozsival
97 - Josef Melichar, Andrew Ference
98 - Rob Scuderi
99 - none

Wow. That is pathetic at forward. You dont realize it until you see it. Thanks for digging this up.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:08 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:

It's a very useful word. Just saying it out loud makes me smile.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bowser on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:09 pm

Lt. Dish - lol... my name is Eric Bowser and no, I don't own the car dealership... hahahaha
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby no name on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:09 pm

I thought he should of been fired after last season Flyer series. But its to early this season to throw him in the fire.

2 loses in a row its not the end of the world.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:11 pm

columbia wrote:Carter could really enhance the uptown party scene and spur economic development.
That's not enough for you?

The Olde City Crew: Those were the days... I look back on them fondly.

Sinatra, Martin, Bishop, Lawford, and Davis had nothing on Lupul, Hartnell, Richards, Carter, and Upshall (oh, and Sbisa) :lol:
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby TheHammer24 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:12 pm

I don't think it's a roster problem at all. We don't need a scoring winger, we don't need more aggressive defensemen. This roster is the best in the NHL, period. If you think otherwise, which team would you trade rosters with? Not Philly, not NYR, not Chicago, not LAK. As such, I think blaming Shero, Tangradi, Oprik, is just silly. No team is perfect; we're not either. But the players on the ice should get the job down.

As such, it's either a systems problem or an execution problem or both. The former is coaching, the latter might be. But this team needs to quit turning the puck over.

I am fine losing 1/2 against TML and the Jets, but losing back to back in such similar fashion is disturbing. It remains way too early to panic though.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:13 pm

Godric wrote:

Yeah, I'm pretty naive. I believe that every single head and assistant coach in the NHL and even in the AHL and ECHL more or less know what they're doing. Success for them is more than anything else about being at the right place at the right time. Claiming that opposing coaches figured out DB's system after two games is bollocks to me, because I'm pretty sure that the coaching staff of every NHL team has a pretty good idea about what all the other teams are doing anyway.

Of course, if the Pens decided to tune out their coach or whatever then we do have a problem, albeit one that a coaching change probably is not going to fix.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby offsides on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:16 pm

Another one and done in the playoffs and it will, big time.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Godric on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:17 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Godric wrote:

Yeah, I'm pretty naive. I believe that every single head and assistant coach in the NHL and even in the AHL and ECHL more or less know what they're doing. Success for them is more than anything else about being at the right place at the right time. Claiming that opposing coaches figured out DB's system after two games is bollocks to me, because I'm pretty sure that the coaching staff of every NHL team has a pretty good idea about what all the other teams are doing anyway.

Of course, if the Pens decided to tune out their coach or whatever then we do have a problem, albeit one that a coaching change probably is not going to fix.

I'd say the last 3 years in the playoffs are pretty good reasons he should be fired. I wanted him fired after the flyer series.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby shmenguin on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:19 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:I don't think it's a roster problem at all. We don't need a scoring winger, we don't need more aggressive defensemen. This roster is the best in the NHL, period. If you think otherwise, which team would you trade rosters with? Not Philly, not NYR, not Chicago, not LAK. As such, I think blaming Shero, Tangradi, Oprik, is just silly. No team is perfect; we're not either. But the players on the ice should get the job down.

As such, it's either a systems problem or an execution problem or both. The former is coaching, the latter might be. But this team needs to quit turning the puck over.

I am fine losing 1/2 against TML and the Jets, but losing back to back in such similar fashion is disturbing. It remains way too early to panic though.

We absolutely need an upgrade at wing. Personnel is an issue, but certainly not THE issue.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:20 pm

Well, it is true that at a certain point it can no longer be justified to not fire the coach. But in most cases it has very little to do with the coaches credentials, qualifications or his expertise.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:21 pm

Gaucho wrote:Well, it is true that at a certain point it can no longer be justified to not fire the coach. But in most cases it has very little to do with the coaches credentials, qualifications or his expertise.

Edzo
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:27 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:

I've seen the light that German is hilarious. Kaizer's random post with the Flammenwerfer sealed the deal. I may abandon my plans for resuming my ancient college French and learning Spanish and go for German. I have to get past the idea of words strung together in 132-letter phrases and the capitalization of nouns first. The awesomeness of the umlaut and the quirkiness of that B-thing for "ss" are points in German's favor. I'll keep you posted. :D

OK, back to ärgernd (or something) about the Pens.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:28 pm

Bad example, as Edzo truly had no idea what he was doing. :lol:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:30 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:

I've seen the light that German is hilarious. Kaizer's random post with the Flammenwerfer sealed the deal. I may abandon my plans for resuming my ancient college French and learning Spanish and go for German. I have to get past the idea of words strung together in 132-letter phrases and the capitalization of nouns first. The awesomeness of the umlaut and the quirkiness of that B-thing for "ss" are points in German's favor. I'll keep you posted. :D

The ß is dying a slow death, I'm afraid.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:31 pm

Bowser wrote:Lt. Dish - lol... my name is Eric Bowser and no, I don't own the car dealership... hahahaha

Have you considered "Rico Bousero" to add mystery and intrigue? 8-)
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:33 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:

The ß is dying a slow death, I'm afraid.

Figures. I'm always late to a party.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:35 pm

Gaucho wrote:Bad example, as Edzo truly had no idea what he was doing. :lol:

I still look back on that with incredulity. And this was after sneaking Rick Kehoe behind the bench.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins