Fire DB

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Fire DB

Postby iceolater on Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:25 am

Optional skate day tomorrow....Wait? Are you kidding me? Hmmmm...Last I looked, Again, "Letang again has shown us that he panics in his zone and can not clear the puck. 1st Goal late, he turned, whipped it around the boards to their player (who btw has NOT scored in like 95 games) and he shoots and scores. Then in the 3rd when pressured, looses it, then complains about Zubrus tripping him and they score. So Letang..NEEDS Practice!

Malkin: He doesnt have to skate but SHOOT 100 plus shots by himself...he is NOT allowed to pass. I agree with Bob Errey about in order to score, he needs to shoot! Malkin -- NEEDS PRACTICE!

I agree with the comment about this team needs a leadership presence behind the bench. NJ always plays a solid game and stays within a system. I don't think the Pens have a system. Just skate and run around. With the talent and money that Shero has signed on this team, he better start thinking about making some changes or else we will be 500 at best. And with this Defense being soft, we won't win another Cup in Pittsburgh.
iceolater
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby farnham16 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:32 am

Bylsma and staff set up their daily schedule weeks and weeks in advance and hardly ever change it no matter what the circumstance. I'm sure tomorrow has been a scheduled off day for a long time now. That's what happens when you have an extreme player friendly coach and an unwillingness to change how you operate.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:50 am

There's no skate tomorrow because the NHLPA doesn't allow it after back-to-back games.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:11 am

Bylsma thought the best time to double-shift Geno was with Adams and Glass with a minute left in the 1st and with the defensive zone face-off.... yeah....
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Staggy on Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:05 am

I just don't see any reason DB should keep his job. We all know he's going to be successful somewhere else, but he's just not the right guy for the job right now.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:04 am

Staggy wrote:I just don't see any reason DB should keep his job. We all know he's going to be successful somewhere else, but he's just not the right guy for the job right now.

:thumb:
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Great58 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:09 am

MRandall25 wrote:There's no skate tomorrow because the NHLPA doesn't allow it after back-to-back games.

Snap! What's logic and reason doing in a thread here?
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penmyst on Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:26 am

Great58 wrote:Snap! What's logic and reason doing in a thread here?

Dying a cold, lonely death.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:40 am

Bylsma being Bylsma, if it's not a mysterious force field, it's pucks with eyes.

"It seems like there's always a bounce of a goal that finds its way in, like they had on that first one," coach Dan Bylsma said.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/2013 ... z2kukEZifs

Spoiler:
The above comment is somewhat tongue in cheek. But I wish he's quit making comments like that. Hold players accountable and quit blaming it on "the universe". Chuck Tanner used to say, about the Pirates, "Every team is going to win 50 games and lose 50 games, it's what they do in the other 62 that makes your season". In hockey it's 25/25/32. Last night was one of those 32
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby pcm on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:22 am

Yeah that one where Blysma kept Malkin on for an offensive draw when he was already gassed (Errey even commented on it). Malkin then was unable to get back to cover the wide open man at the circles shooting the puck. Oh, but it bounced, so it's just unlucky...
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:31 am

Sunday morning reality check: the Penguins are not an elite team. http://espn.go.com/nhl/standings/_/group/1
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby topshelf66 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:01 pm

When measuring how effective a coach is, the simple question is "is the whole greater than the sum of its parts"? We have a pretty impressive collection of parts and a somewhat unimpressive collection of results.

When you are cup champions, unorthodoxy like not matching lines can be confused with progressive thinking. When you look at our results over the past few years it comes off as arrogant stupidity.

Babcock is a good coach. He would match lines and play 71 with 87 at home when he gets the right matchup. Detroit has historically been lethal at home when 13 and 40 get out there on a favorable line match.

Nothing will happen with DB until after the Olympics for certain. I hope he can change. GMRS needs to make it clear that the game we are getting to is a bad game. Play simple winning hockey. Hold people accountable. Bowman put Federov at D for games at a time when he was unhappy with his effort.

I like this team but we are way too calm, like we expect that we can turn it on when it counts. Well we have been a sub 500 club when it counts for some time. I have had enough.
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:03 pm

pcm wrote:Sunday morning reality check: the Penguins are not an elite team. http://espn.go.com/nhl/standings/_/group/1

Do you imagine the Let's Go Ducks page is trying to blow up their team in the face of three straight losses... in November?
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby topshelf66 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:19 pm

Letang and Engelland for a power forward and pick.
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:31 pm

Great58 wrote:
pcm wrote:Sunday morning reality check: the Penguins are not an elite team. http://espn.go.com/nhl/standings/_/group/1

Do you imagine the Let's Go Ducks page is trying to blow up their team in the face of three straight losses... in November?

They were expected to miss the playoffs last year and ended up being one of the best teams in hockey, so i imagine theyre pretty happy.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Great58 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:46 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Great58 wrote:

They were expected to miss the playoffs last year and ended up being one of the best teams in hockey, so i imagine theyre pretty happy.

I don't think the chronic underachieving of their 8+ million dollar men Getzlaf & Perry should be so easily dismissed, nor the fact their coach is a regular season title winning paper tiger. With a PK rated 27th in the NHL, they are benefiting heavily from games in hand. :pop:

See how easy this is? :scared:
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby M10 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:14 pm

Great58 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Great58 wrote:

I don't think the chronic underachieving of their 8+ million dollar men Getzlaf & Perry should be so easily dismissed, nor the fact their coach is a regular season title winning paper tiger. With a PK rated 27th in the NHL, they are benefiting heavily from games in hand. :pop:

See how easy this is? :scared:

Chronic underachievers? What?
M10
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pcm on Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:33 pm

Great58 wrote:

The Ducks are the top team in the league. The Pens are at #14. If average is good enough for you, for a team with 71 and 87, then okay. Keep on the happy trails.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:42 pm

pcm wrote:
Great58 wrote:

The Ducks are the top team in the league. The Pens are at #14. If average is good enough for you, for a team with 71 and 87, then okay. Keep on the happy trails.

:fist:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Great58 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:05 pm

pcm wrote:
Great58 wrote:

I'd rather not slip through the regular season without any adversity just to find the team tested for the first time in the playoffs. I'd rather have the team encounter problems now, adjust and overcome to toughen itself for the spring. the sky isn't falling. It's just raining.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:10 pm

I felt like puking when they extended this clown after all his failures, I thought Ray was smarter than that.

Seems like that flu bug is back again. :) I'd love to eat my words, but we'll never contend again with him behind the bench.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bhaw on Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:15 pm

Great58 wrote:
pcm wrote:
Great58 wrote:

I'd rather not slip through the regular season without any adversity just to find the team tested for the first time in the playoffs. I'd rather have the team encounter problems now, adjust and overcome to toughen itself for the spring. the sky isn't falling. It's just raining.

When this team sees adversity, they crumble. Been happening for 4 years. We've both gone through relatively easy regular seasons and tough ones that we had to face plenty of adversity (injuries, loss streaks, fighting for playoff spots). None of those have benefited the Pens in any tangible results. The whole "it's just November" stuff is rhetoric. Every game counts the same in the standings.

For a second, back off the rhetoric and look at how the team is actually playing. Have they gotten better in the last 4 years? Are they doing things better than they were in 2010 or 2011?

You can easily argue that the answer is no in many aspects of their game. Some are personnel, but the overall level of players hasn't really changed save for Jordan Staal on the 3rd line. But even when he was here, we were usually missing one of Malkin or Sid. Right now, we have a healthy line up and these are the results. If you think it's acceptable, that's fine. I think our team looks like trash. They execute much more poorly than they did in prior years. And what's worse, what you are talking about is facing adversity so they can make adjustments and get better. What's the last MAJOR adjustment they made that lasted more than a week? DB has a plan he wants the team to execute. Regardless of outcome, he continues down that path. He might make a slight adjustment here or there, but very quickly the team moves back to the plan he wants. The problem is that his plan isn't successful. But don't tell him that... it's someone or something else's fault.

People keep latching on to his Cup win (where he wasn't even the coach for the entire season) or his Jack Adams (yet the same people bash the voting and outcome in other years) and the fact that he was chosen to coach team USA but none of you will ever actually look at what his team is currently doing on the ice to analyze his effectiveness. If you have to resort to "he was chosen to coach team USA, so clearly you are all wrong b/c he was picked to do that," you aren't paying attention. BTW... when's the last time Team USA won gold? Obviously they know what they are doing based on their illustrious career of gold medals. (see, I can make dumb comments based on rhetoric as well...)
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:19 pm

Oh, and not coincidentally, their best regular season since the Cup also led to the best results last year. So unless you are hoping we bow out in round 1 or 2 again, history shows that winning the division (and Easy) is better for them, not struggling through the season.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:20 pm

Great58 wrote:
pcm wrote:
Great58 wrote:

Absolutely. Let's pray that adjustment comes in the form of a new coach. :D
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:33 pm

So can we all agree that DB's days are numbered?

Does anyone really see him as the kind of guy that can win multiple 'Cups even with some of the best talent in the league?
The question is: "Does Ray Shero have a good succession plan?" or is Jaques Martin our coach of the future?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins