New Reason why CEC is not loud

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

New Reason why CEC is not loud

Postby Kovy27 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:10 am

So, there is a theme on twitter that is going around stating that ticket prices are the reason why the CEC is quiet. Does anyone actually believe that? I can see part of that being semi-true, but there are areas in the arena that are not high priced.

Pens avg season ticket price is $141
Jets $82
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,708
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Re: New Reason why CEC is not loud

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:20 am

Haha. You're going to prob get railed for this man but I agree completely. People are going to be mad its getting harped on but something needs to change if Pittsburgh fans want to keep pretending they are as awesome as they think they are. Maybe crowd noise isnt the difference whether a player hit the net or misses, or turns the puck over, but atmostphere is a big deal. and I KNEW the Jets crowd would be nuts tonight. You can hear the road crowds just fine so no more blaming it on ROOOOOTS mics. It may or may not affect the play on the ice, but I'll tell you for sure Im not paying 100+ to go sit in that environment anytime soon. Its louder in my living room.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,425
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:33 pm
Location: I NEED A MONTAGE

Re: New Reason why CEC is not loud

Postby Noise on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:30 am

Poorer fans are louder.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,439
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:35 am

Re: New Reason why CEC is not loud

Postby ulf on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:34 am

It's the building. No coincidence that the igloo and Winnipegs small arena are louder. Not all the building, but it's a big part.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,336
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:41 pm

Re: New Reason why CEC is not loud

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:41 am

Fans and arenas are a big part of noise, and on-ice product is a big part of ticket price.

I'm sure if Winnipeg had a Crosby and Malkin, their prices would be a little higher.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,538
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: New Reason why CEC is not loud

Postby scals37 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:04 am

I remember the igloo being pretty quiet after 2008.....
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,880
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:05 am
Location: Joe Baggadonuts' House

Re: New Reason why CEC is not loud

Postby MelicharSux on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:44 am

Give me your tickets :pop:
MelicharSux
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,532
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:45 am
Location: Columbus.

Re: New Reason why CEC is not loud

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:03 am

The arena crowd is awful because its not a great arena and offers little or nothing to begin with, fans are priced out and the penguins do anything possible to kill the atmosphere. I swear whoever is in charge has no idea about being at a sporting event. People can mock me all they want about the white out shirts and say im an idiot who just cares about free stuff, which i dont, but its a perfect example of killing the crowd and stupid greedy decisions that have destroyed the experience.

Want a beer and dinner, go someplace else and then show up, no chance to get fired up and into the game and atmosphere. Scored a goal and get momentum, cue Pearl Jam and a 2008 goals video.

Also, prices? How much more is our payroll than the Jets? Just curious.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,117
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:42 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Re: New Reason why CEC is not loud

Postby Great58 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:53 am

How much more is our payroll than the Jets? Just curious.

2.3 million.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,733
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:56 pm
Location: On the blue line

Re: New Reason why CEC is not loud

Postby Rylan on Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:48 am

Oh dear...
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,085
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: New Reason why CEC is not loud

Postby Steve Dave on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:15 am

We went to a game last year (TB) and there was a "couple" sitting next to us, and all they discussed the whole game was that they didn't think some girl should be getting married to some guy. It was kind of annoying. They didn't even pay attention to the game. I guess you have the right to do whatever if you pay for tickets.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 996
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:09 am

Re: New Reason why CEC is not loud

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:30 am

Too many corporate types and people there to 'location drop' (Oh , we're going to the Pens game look at me!!!). For a game like the home opener all the corporate folks are going to go to that to location drop or take clients or impress whomever; not to watch the game or cheer. I don't know why I do it but if you look at comments on the Pens facebook for the result last night and see people blaming Vokoun saying he played like a rookie and stuff like that its no small wonder. They have no clue. Alot of 'fans' right now are obviously new and bandwagon and only halfhearted a hockey/Pens fan and are mostly at the rink for the cool factor. just imo.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,781
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:10 pm
Location: refs fault

Re: New Reason why CEC is not loud

Postby DropEmJayBird on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:41 am

Real Fans don't let a little money get between them and watching their team live.
:pop:
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,935
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:38 pm

Re: New Reason why CEC is not loud

Postby pens2005 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:48 am

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:The arena crowd is awful because its not a great arena and offers little or nothing to begin with, fans are priced out and the penguins do anything possible to kill the atmosphere. I swear whoever is in charge has no idea about being at a sporting event. People can mock me all they want about the white out shirts and say im an idiot who just cares about free stuff, which i dont, but its a perfect example of killing the crowd and stupid greedy decisions that have destroyed the experience.

Want a beer and dinner, go someplace else and then show up, no chance to get fired up and into the game and atmosphere. Scored a goal and get momentum, cue Pearl Jam and a 2008 goals video.

Also, prices? How much more is our payroll than the Jets? Just curious.


Awful arena? Man did I disagree. It's a beautiful place.

When I go it is plenty loud.

It could easily be the nice at the arenas. Arenas put mics in their buildings that tv broadcasts tap into.

And comparing it to Winnipeg is dumb. That place is tiny and the noise is just ridiculous in there.

Winnipeg is a bad arena to compare it too.

It's widely considered the loudest arena in the NHL for a reason.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,421
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:54 am

Re: New Reason why CEC is not loud

Postby Kharlamov on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:01 am

Fire0nice228 wrote:Too many corporate types and people there to 'location drop' (Oh , we're going to the Pens game look at me!!!). For a game like the home opener all the corporate folks are going to go to that to location drop or take clients or impress whomever; not to watch the game or cheer. I don't know why I do it but if you look at comments on the Pens facebook for the result last night and see people blaming Vokoun saying he played like a rookie and stuff like that its no small wonder. They have no clue. Alot of 'fans' right now are obviously new and bandwagon and only halfhearted a hockey/Pens fan and are mostly at the rink for the cool factor. just imo.


I agree with this too. I also think its the success the team has had. After winning the cup the fringe fans came out in droves, and they're the ones who can afford the prices. I remember going to a couple games in the Mellon the two years we were in the final, the team was still raw and hungry, the fans were too. Plus the student rush section was much bigger (and cheaper) then too.
Kharlamov
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 696
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:34 pm

Re: New Reason why CEC is not loud

Postby Pitt87 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:05 am

Noise wrote:Poorer fans are louder.


Class warfare. We want a shiny new arena and a top-tier organization, but we don't want this team to make money. :pop:

If you really think its a problem, sacrifice something of your own and get some tickets and scream your face off.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,302
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: New Reason why CEC is not loud

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:05 am

pens2005 wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:The arena crowd is awful because its not a great arena and offers little or nothing to begin with, fans are priced out and the penguins do anything possible to kill the atmosphere. I swear whoever is in charge has no idea about being at a sporting event. People can mock me all they want about the white out shirts and say im an idiot who just cares about free stuff, which i dont, but its a perfect example of killing the crowd and stupid greedy decisions that have destroyed the experience.

Want a beer and dinner, go someplace else and then show up, no chance to get fired up and into the game and atmosphere. Scored a goal and get momentum, cue Pearl Jam and a 2008 goals video.

Also, prices? How much more is our payroll than the Jets? Just curious.


Awful arena? Man did I disagree. It's a beautiful place.

When I go it is plenty loud.

It could easily be the nice at the arenas. Arenas put mics in their buildings that tv broadcasts tap into.

And comparing it to Winnipeg is dumb. That place is tiny and the noise is just ridiculous in there.

Winnipeg is a bad arena to compare it too.

It's widely considered the loudest arena in the NHL for a reason.


Actually I think it is a very nice looking building and the view from my seats is great. But for a new building and double the prices I expected it to be better, not offer even one thing Mellon didn't. Go to other arenas and see how the entire thing is built for experience. I expected much more, not just new bricks around a sheet of ice with a few spots of wider concourses.

Coupled with Alan Cox running the game experience and its lame. Nobody wants to admit it and gets offended because we are the hockey Mecca.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,117
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:42 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Re: New Reason why CEC is not loud

Postby since1970 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:06 am

went to the opener with my brother, and he couldn't believe how quiet the building was, it was his first game in @ 20yrs. He and I were constantly annoyed by the music every time out. There was nothing done to pump the crowd. I thought they had kept some taped Vinny organ chants. He said it may have been the biggest bore he experienced at an opener, especially given the circumstance. I do think prices have an effect. I'm sure there was more buzz on Twitter/Facebook than noise from the crowd, and I'm talking about the people AT the game.
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 712
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:06 pm

Re: New Reason why CEC is not loud

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:14 am

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
pens2005 wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:The arena crowd is awful because its not a great arena and offers little or nothing to begin with, fans are priced out and the penguins do anything possible to kill the atmosphere. I swear whoever is in charge has no idea about being at a sporting event. People can mock me all they want about the white out shirts and say im an idiot who just cares about free stuff, which i dont, but its a perfect example of killing the crowd and stupid greedy decisions that have destroyed the experience.

Want a beer and dinner, go someplace else and then show up, no chance to get fired up and into the game and atmosphere. Scored a goal and get momentum, cue Pearl Jam and a 2008 goals video.

Also, prices? How much more is our payroll than the Jets? Just curious.


Awful arena? Man did I disagree. It's a beautiful place.

When I go it is plenty loud.

It could easily be the nice at the arenas. Arenas put mics in their buildings that tv broadcasts tap into.

And comparing it to Winnipeg is dumb. That place is tiny and the noise is just ridiculous in there.

Winnipeg is a bad arena to compare it too.

It's widely considered the loudest arena in the NHL for a reason.

for a new building and double the prices I expected it to be better, not offer even one thing Mellon didn't..


Dude, they have sushi now, what more do you want?
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,781
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:10 pm
Location: refs fault

Re: New Reason why CEC is not loud

Postby jwest21 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:21 am

I can't afford to yell
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,184
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:59 am
Location: on IR

Re: New Reason why CEC is not loud

Postby Malkamaniac on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:29 am

The crowd is often beraded with Ryan Mill screaming into the mic and rock music from 1998 blasting. The atmosphere absolutely sucks.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,355
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: New Reason why CEC is not loud

Postby darkstar57 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:50 am

i said it in another thread, its also the design of these new arenas. The old arenas had small openings to get in and out, which meant there was smaller spaces for sounds to escape from and also to rebound off of. With the new arena you have open concourses, bigger exits from the main area, the sound is able to get out in more spots.

I live in right outside NYC and the new Yankee stadium (not a yankees fan my finance's father has had season tickets for years) is nowhere near as load as the old stadium for that very reason. I remember going to playoffs games there and the entire building was shaking and the noise was incredible. in the new arena you have the same effort from the fans, but its not the same.

You could take the same crowd in consol and put them in the old mellon arena and mellon arena will always be louder.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,084
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:13 pm
Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Re: New Reason why CEC is not loud

Postby DocEmrick on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:00 am

:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,786
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:33 pm
Location: 39°6′32″N 76°46′17″W

Re: New Reason why CEC is not loud

Postby drnort on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:11 am

It has nothing to do with the size or shape of the arena. That argument is ridiculous. If you are at the game, its clear that a large number of people simply have no interest in making noise. The arena acoustics arent making them sit there staring at the ceiling or uploading their view to facebook.

It has almost everything to do with the "location drop" that someone else mentioned. Going to the Pens game is cool. Being a Pens fan is cool. There are a significantly large number of people that are attending games right now that have no real interest in the game of hockey, but only have interest in being a Pens fan. I have nothing against those people. But the fact is, they arent into the games.

It also has nothing to do with ticket prices. It has a lot more to do with the fact that season ticket holders can sell their tickets for a profit. So fans that used to have a reason to attend every game and make for a better atmosphere are now finding any reason they can to sell their tickets, make money, and stay at home. The tickets are being bought by those that simply want to "check out a Pens game."

The same thing started happening at Mellon Arena the last 2 years. Gone are the days of fans attending 30-40 games a year. When the people in the seats change from game to game, the atmosphere suffers.
drnort
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,594
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:56 am

Re: New Reason why CEC is not loud

Postby mac5155 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:14 am

I was pretty sauced up at the home opener and tried to get chants going, but was met with blank stares and eye rolls
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,149
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: LeopardLetang, litz2010, pens_CT, Skatingpen, the wicked child and 15 guests


e-mail