New Reason why CEC is not loud

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: New Reason why CEC is not loud

Postby Eismann on Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:53 pm

canaan wrote:ive never been much of a rah rah type at hockey games. i rarely make noise and prefer just to watch the game. aside from the high fives and cheering during goals, im probably a part of the "evil quiet fans" that this thread is denigrating. that being said, i paid for my ticket the same as you so get bent.

Pfft. Blue-shirt wearing leaner.

Actually I'm the same. This is the dumbest debate on the site. If there any morons who are jumping around yelling full blast all game, please eat poison and stop polluting the gene pool.
Eismann
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Pretty sure there is a huge difference between jumping around like an idiot and going crazy than a crowd that lacks any energy and atmosphere.

That's the problem with these discussions. Everyone takes the easiest stance, as if anyone really expects the crowd to be insane every minute or relates white out shirts to fire works an bobble heads).

Maybe those who can't see past the obvious should be removed from the pool, just a thought.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Eismann on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:20 pm

Any energy and atmosphere? That's a perfect example of the extreme you just put down. Out of the pool, homes.

The history of this debate is based on people having problems with the majority of fans not being vocal at times during games that are simply lulls in the action
Eismann
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:46 pm

Eismann wrote:Any energy and atmosphere? That's a perfect example of the extreme you just put down. Out of the pool, homes.

The history of this debate is based on people having problems with the majority of fans not being vocal at times during games that are simply lulls in the action

Lol
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghThing on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:12 am

Heard plenty of noise tonight, mostly boos.
BurghThing
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Grunthy on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:17 am

BurghThing wrote:Heard plenty of noise tonight, mostly boos.

for good reason too...
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PghSkins on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:25 am

It was pretty good. Crowd ought to pick the team up to start. It's the team's job to keep the crowd excited.

I fully support fans in booing pro sports teams. Well deserved tonight too.
PghSkins
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby lifetimefan on Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:25 am

PghSkins wrote:It was pretty good. Crowd ought to pick the team up to start. It's the team's job to keep the crowd excited.

I fully support fans in booing pro sports teams. Well deserved tonight too.

Winner, winner chicken dinner!
lifetimefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:54 am

Eismann wrote:Any energy and atmosphere? That's a perfect example of the extreme you just put down. Out of the pool, homes.

Is complete lack of atmosphere not accurate?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:06 am

Consol execs must read lgp.com; last night they gave the fans plenty of opportunity and time for human cheers! Or boos as the penguins play demanded.
Supportive and lively crowd. Largest ever for a hockey game :D weeeee

thanks CEC.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:09 am

Idoit40fans wrote:

Is complete lack of atmosphere not accurate?

I just stopped debating that, when you have words picked apart when just stating an idea it's hard to explain.

When you walk into consol, or take your take seat it's a different feel than before. Not a lot of energy, not a lot of buzz. It used to be be a pretty energetic feel at pens game, people were just into it more.

Sure it gets loud at points, but it's not the same game experience as before. Not even close.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:12 am

When there are exciting things going on, there's a palpable buzz that you can feel in the crowd. When things are boring/not going well, the arena is quiet. When the Penguins score, it's really loud and people are cheering, including me. When the other team scores, it tends to be deathly quiet.

As canaan and others have stated, I am not going to spend the entire game losing my voice just for the sake of screaming for nothing. Play well, and ye shall be rewarded.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:13 am

To be fair, I haven't been to a game yet this year, but i'm sure its the same as it has been the last several years. I actually feel that it was basically the same at Mellon/Civic/the Igloo. I don't even get loud at games, its never been my thing, but the atmosphere has always been subdued in Pittsburgh compared to other places I've seen games.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Nizzy on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:40 pm

The loudest I've ever heard a Pens arena was the beginning of 2006, when student rush was 20$, and probably 3k students at the game.

Money is a huge factor, if not the only reason.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby frenchpens-fan on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:05 pm

Nizzy wrote:The loudest I've ever heard a Pens arena was the beginning of 2006, when student rush was 20$, and probably 3k students at the game.

Truth! If the minimum price is around 70$, there is only family or old people. I've saw videos from Quebec Rempart and it's loud, and the seats are cheaper than NHL.
But it's not the only reason.
frenchpens-fan

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:18 pm

frenchpens-fan wrote:
Nizzy wrote:The loudest I've ever heard a Pens arena was the beginning of 2006, when student rush was 20$, and probably 3k students at the game.

Truth! If the minimum price is around 70$, there is only family or old people. I've saw videos from Quebec Rempart and it's loud, and the seats are cheaper than NHL.
But it's not the only reason.

It was louder with the students because they(could be read as "we") came from Duquesne or Pitt and stood in line getting hammered until they went in.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DropEmJayBird on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:31 pm

Loudest I ever heard it was for a Stanley cup game, when there were no students, and tickets were around $400.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:40 pm

This is just my opinon, but back in like 2005 and up to the Cup win, the Pens were the young team, with a franchise that hadn't won a cup in almost 15-20 years, and had all the potential and were fun and exciting as it was a fresh take after 4 or 5 years of being down. Everyone was energenic, including the team.

After winning the Cup in 2009, that became the expectation going forward, and the team is now viewed as the favorites to win and anything less is a disappointment, and pretty much every game that is not a cup final or something approaching it is viewed as "just another game until then".

We are a little spoiled and that comes with the expectation of winning and winning in the past.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby skullman80 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:41 pm

newarenanow wrote:This is just my opinon, but back in like 2005 and up to the Cup win, the Pens were the young team, with a franchise that hadn't won a cup in almost 15-20 years, and had all the potential and were fun and exciting as it was a fresh take after 4 or 5 years of being down. Everyone was energenic, including the team.

After winning the Cup in 2009, that became the expectation going forward, and the team is now viewed as the favorites to win and anything less is a disappointment, and pretty much every game that is not a cup final or something approaching it is viewed as "just another game until then".

We are a little spoiled and that comes with the expectation of winning and winning in the past.

I agree with this 100%.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:43 pm

Apparently the booing was loud enough...

Dave Molinari's recap from last night's game. "We're not putting a very good product out there. They're coming to watch supposedly a good team that goes out and plays, and we're not doing that right now." - Chris Kunitz on Penguins fans booing.
llipgh2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby skullman80 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:50 pm

I have no problem with the fans booing, the players deserved it last night.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:43 pm

newarenanow wrote:This is just my opinon, but back in like 2005 and up to the Cup win, the Pens were the young team, with a franchise that hadn't won a cup in almost 15-20 years, and had all the potential and were fun and exciting as it was a fresh take after 4 or 5 years of being down. Everyone was energenic, including the team.

That doesn't explain that attitude being present in 07-08 finals game 6.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:49 pm

skullman80 wrote:I have no problem with the fans booing, the players deserved it last night.

I absolutely love the booing. And you know what's great about it? It's not like in Philly where their fans will boo their team off the ice for being down 1-0 at the end of the first. For Penguins fans to boo en masse, the team's play has to be utterly abysmal. It sends a strong message.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:28 pm

We should go back and play at Duquesne Gardens. That place was totally louder.
Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby scals37 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:38 pm

its embarrassing when your fanbase boos louder than it ever cheers.. A LOT of entitlement in that arena these days...
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins