If we are going to mix lines up

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

If we are going to mix lines up

Postby The Snapshot on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:33 am

Should we consider putting Kunitz back with Malkin and Neal - moving Kennedy or Jeffrey onto Sid's line? I know we have no chemistry going anywhere right now, but at least that move could jumpstart Geno and perhaps Kunitz too.

I'm just saying this because we are focusing on Geno's winger and he was a great fit last year.

Crosby seems to be getting going now, but I don't think any of that has much to do with Kunitz because he has remained terrible.

Just a thought.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: If we are going to mix lines up

Postby pcm on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:52 am

I think Kunitz is going down hill. Sure he was part of the "best line in hockey" last year, but I dont think that had much to do with him. Geno and Neal were unreal, completely mind-boggling. Kunitz did enough by simply not slowing them down.

It's a growing concern for this team that Kunitz, Dupuis, Cooke, and Adams are all getting to that point when their tenacious play will start to be hindered by age. They can't ride out the glory years like star players, because they don't have the talent to still be effective as they age.

Relying on these guys for the secondary support of this team going forward is not a wise move. It's time to bring in fresh blood.

So yes, move Kunitz to Malkin's line if need be. But only if it means giving Sid a player who can help him out. Sid has not shown at all he can be the player he was before he got concussed, when as everyone loves to point out, Kunitz-Sid-Dupuis scored at an unheard of pace... Well, it ain't 2010 anymore. Things have changed. Sid's going to need help on his line to score in the playoffs.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:46 am

Maybe they should move Neal up with Crosby and Kunitz. :scared:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bowser on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:23 am

Call me crazy but if Bennett is playing in the AHL, he can play in the NHL. Screw this excuse about weight loss.

I want to see...
Dupuis - Crosby - Bennett
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Kennedy
Glass - Vitale - Jeffrey
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby KG on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:25 am

Bowser wrote:Call me crazy but if Bennett is playing in the AHL, he can play in the NHL. Screw this excuse about weight loss.

I want to see...
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Kennedy
Glass - Vitale - Jeffrey

I have no problem with giving this a shot. I'm sure Bennett is further then Tangradi in his development as well...at least I hope!

Let Bennett keep that spot warm next to Sid until Iginla comes :thumb:
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby The Snapshot on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:29 pm

Bowser wrote:Call me crazy but if Bennett is playing in the AHL, he can play in the NHL. Screw this excuse about weight loss.

I want to see...
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Kennedy
Glass - Vitale - Jeffrey

I agree with this completely. The Pens seem to baby their prospects more than any team in the league. While others throw their top picks into the fire at 18 we take a kid with College experience and assume he needs the AHL to hone his skills. Forward is much different than D as far as young guys go, so if he has NHL skills then let him learn on the job from the best players in the world.

I'm never sold on the idea that playing against AHL pluggers means anything.

Does Bennett have NHL skating - Yes.
Does Bennett have an NHL shot - Yes
Does Bennett have NHL vision - Yes
Does Bennett have NHL size - Yes, but he can certainly get stronger

It's like training a thoroughbred horse amongst quarter horses. What exactly is the point, when it is clear that the NHL is a young man's league. To make matters worse, the guy they chose over him is clearly out of his depth because he has none of the skills listed above except size, which he is incapable of using because of the lack of items 1 through 3.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:38 pm

The Snapshot wrote:Should we consider putting Kunitz back with Malkin and Neal - moving Kennedy or Jeffrey onto Sid's line? I know we have no chemistry going anywhere right now, but at least that move could jumpstart Geno and perhaps Kunitz too.

I'm just saying this because we are focusing on Geno's winger and he was a great fit last year.

Crosby seems to be getting going now, but I don't think any of that has much to do with Kunitz because he has remained terrible.

Just a thought.

I don't know if it's just me, but Kunitz looks like he's lost a fairly significant step since last season. He still brings the physical game, but he seems to be having trouble keeping up with Crosby & Dupuis on the rush and has been slower on the backcheck.

Hopefully it's just some rust that needs shaken off, otherwise the Pens have a pretty big problem.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:37 pm

tfrizz wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:Should we consider putting Kunitz back with Malkin and Neal - moving Kennedy or Jeffrey onto Sid's line? I know we have no chemistry going anywhere right now, but at least that move could jumpstart Geno and perhaps Kunitz too.

Just a thought.

I don't know if it's just me, but Kunitz looks like he's lost a fairly significant step since last season. He still brings the physical game, but he seems to be having trouble keeping up with Crosby & Dupuis on the rush and has been slower on the backcheck.

Hopefully it's just some rust that needs shaken off, otherwise the Pens have a pretty big problem.

I'm not too worried about him. I think it is going to vary pretty widely from player to player in terms of how the lack of a camp is going to affect them. His whole game is below the bar in comparison to last season, except for boarding....
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens_CT on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:43 pm

I want to see...
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Kennedy
Glass - Vitale - Jeffrey

Bennett supposedly had the flu around Christmas time and lost 10 lbs. He didn't participate in most of the practices this week, didn't play last night, and the WBS announcers were saying that Bennett didn't look well at all. I don't know what he has, but I doubt you are going to see him called up in the next couple of weeks.
pens_CT
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins