Game 4 vs. Winnipeg - Thoughts from the morning after

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 4 vs. Winnipeg - Thoughts from the morning after

Postby tfrizz on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:25 pm

Too many turnovers.

Too many passes.

D-zone coverage too poor.

They really need to simplify their game for tomorrow, or it'll be a 2-3 start to the season and those wins against Philly and the Rangers mean absolutely nothing.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rylan on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:29 pm

Less hypocritical. Either way I don't care, just funny.

The team has looked beyond sloppy these past 2 games and they need to figure it out. But, they have a little bit of time before the panic button needs repeatedly pressed as if that will help things.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:30 pm

Seems like the only way we're getting any pressure is relying on the other team to turn the puck over. Not much manufactured offense. Maybe it's a tactical flaw or maybe the chemistry isn't there yet. I dunno.

But even with that said, the difference in the last couple games has been discipline - whether it's sloppy play or bad penalties. Maybe in the NHL, the players are big boys who don't need to be babysat by their coaches. Probably not, though. Someone needs to drop the hammer on these guys. Lack of discipline led to the MTL loss, the Philly loss and currently a 2-2 record. Trend city, USA
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:34 pm

It's not clear whether the lack of disciplined play is a pure indicator of Bylsma's coaching strategy or whether they are just have been systematically ignoring him for years.

Neither is a very appealing option.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:36 pm

columbia wrote:It's not clear whether the lack of disciplined play is a pure indicator of Bylsma's coaching strategy or whether they are just have been systematically ignoring him for years.

Neither is a very appealing option.

Yeah that's true. Last year's goal fest may have been by design. Though malkin being a giant baby probably isn't.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:39 pm

I'd like to know what Shero knows on the matter and what he thinks the solution is.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby largegarlic on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:53 pm

I'm not sure what to think at this point. I was in favor of moving Kennedy to Malkin's line, and I thought Kennedy did fine there, but without him, that 3rd line just never seemed a threat to score. It's not that the 3rd and 4th lines need to score regularly, but they need to pose some sort of threat. It appears pretty clear that the Pens need another 2nd/3rd line winger. It doesn't have to be a star like Iginla; another Kennedy or Dupuis type player (skates well, works hard, good for 15-20 goals) would improve things significantly.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby malkinshair on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:01 pm

hmmm...

-Vokoun was solid. Made some great saves to give them a chance in the 3rd
-Sid looked like old Sid...I really thought he was just going to take the game over in the 3rd.
-TK did a fair job on Geno's line, but...
-it destroyed the 3rd line. Sutter with a horrible game.
-Pavelec, IMO, won them the game. HUGE saves in the 2nd to shut the door on the Pens. When he's on, he's tough to beat.

Overall, a lazy game by the Pens. They showed no interest in trying to create traffic in front of the dialed-in GT, and made a lot of lazy plays with the puck that led to turnovers. Schematically, someone needs to let DB and the players know that they aren't the only team to use video to pick up their opponents tendencies. WPG was jumping the 'off the boards' passes all night. They were shutting down the neutral zone with perfect positioning to disrupt the Pens breakouts. It was like they knew where the puck was going...'cause they did.

The most disturbing trend for this team the last 2 or so years has been their propensity to get frustrated...and have it affect their play. In '08 and '09, they were basically unflappable...and were known as a team that never seemed out of it. They almost seemed to feed off of adversity...playing their best when things were the worst. Now, they seem to be a team that if things aren't going their way, they contribute to the downward spiral by playing undisciplined. It'd be easy to blame Bylsma for this, but it really comes down to the players on the ice. Geno...I'm lookin' at you.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:05 pm

Also... in a strange twist, the only Penguin I noticed consistently clearing bodies in front of Vokoun was Tangradi :? Someone needs to teach him to the same, but opposite, in the offensive zone.

This is something that's bothered me about the Pens over the past few seasons... there's absolutely no reason to have both defensemen chasing the puck into the corner or behind the net when. Someone needs to cover the slot/crease and have a forward support the other guy.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby guiner on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:13 pm

darkstar57 wrote:Didn't get a chance to see the game, but i would insert Jeffery over Tangradi slide glass back down to the 4th line and put jeffery into the 3rd line spot

Yeah, hate to beat a dead horse, but where do the chemistry problems show up? Wherever Tangradi is. However, I think you might consider putting Jeffery on 4th and giving Joe Vitale TK's spot on third. They play a similar game, probably Vitale has a little less finish, but its a good fit speed and forecheck wise.
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:15 pm

Old Sid didn't have half a dozen turnovers a game. Just an observation. I don't think any Penguin can be said to have played consistently well to this point. Well, maybe Martin, but I'm not sure I'm allowed to say that.

Malkin and Neal are a combined -7. Not sure if it means anything, but getting used to ever changing linemates can't be much fun. At the same time it doesn't excuse Geno from trying to outdo his captain in terms of turnovers.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby guiner on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:18 pm

Lesky wrote:Was Kennedy on LW really that bad? I think he did a good job!

I've always been a big supporter of Kennedy. Often this team goes through stretches where it doesn't shoot enough and doesn't hussle enough, you never have to worry about that with Kennedy. However, last night was one of the first times where I thought Kennedy overshot, this might be the only place where he needs to consider the dish to those other 2 guys. He played great I think, don't get me wrong, but he has 2 of the best finishers in the world as linemates, and he might consider deferring a preferable option at times.
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bathgate on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:21 pm

Is there any way to convince Malkin that taking so many unnecessary penalties is hurting the team? It clearly reduces his value and should be a factor in his next contract negotiation.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:26 pm

GM Ray Shero still in search of the player to stand in front of the opponents net.

Blysma has no trouble sitting rookies, D men, but will he risk losing players - coach title and take ice time away from the elite/core team... like constantine of the late 90's.

Good luck Flower in Ottawa. Spezza has been a thorn in the side. :evil:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby owtahear on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:45 pm

penny lane wrote:GM Ray Shero still in search of the player to stand in front of the opponents net.

Blysma has no trouble sitting rookies, D men, but will he risk losing players - coach title and take ice time away from the elite/core team... like constantine of the late 90's.

Good luck Flower in Ottawa. Spezza has been a thorn in the side. :evil:

So sayeth you.......Mike Knuble was sitting out there idle. I thought he would be a nice fit for us, especially on the PP.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DesertPenguin on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:03 pm

Kennedy's right handed shot actually looked good on the Malkin line, but it's true he wasn't quite there with catching and shooting Geno's passes. I'd like to see Bennett there instead. He is a RH shot that has been playing LW down in WBS, and I think he's got the talent to stay with that line. It's probably still wise to give DJ a shot first, but I think Bennett is going to be there come playoff time.

If that's the case, Sid's line needs an upgrade. Dupuis had a great run last year and Kunitz is a nice player, but neither of them are Neal caliber. Bennett has a chance to develop into that kind of player, but if you give him to Malkin, you gotta find someone for Sid. It's Iggy time.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:12 pm

At this point in time, Malkin s a bigger liability than an asset. His heart seems to have stayed in russia. When he scored in the Toronto game he looked miserable. I'd consider taking some of his ice time away and see if he wakes up. I love Geno when he cares, I just hope he starts soon.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:21 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:At this point in time, Malkin s a bigger liability than an asset. His heart seems to have stayed in russia. When he scored in the Toronto game he looked miserable. I'd consider taking some of his ice time away and see if he wakes up. I love Geno when he cares, I just hope he starts soon.

I don't watch a ton of KHL, but I've watched enough to think that Russia has stayed in Malkin, as well. The KHL style is more reckless and the disciplinary consequences seem to be few and light, and I think he got accustomed to it especially because he was flourishing in it.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penny lane on Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:40 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:At this point in time, Malkin s a bigger liability than an asset. His heart seems to have stayed in russia. When he scored in the Toronto game he looked miserable. I'd consider taking some of his ice time away and see if he wakes up. I love Geno when he cares, I just hope he starts soon.

If not for great and lucky saves from both Reimer and Ondrej Pavelec Evgeni would have 4 more goals. Sometimes other players do better. 19 giveaways last night by the penguins, but Gene is singled out.
Wednesday evening, pens on big screen tv acknowledge Evgeni's season and he doesn't get a standing ovation from all. Awful. Sid with his 2 goals is permitted to turn the puck over; always?
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:55 pm

penny lane wrote:

If not for great and lucky saves from both Reimer and Ondrej Pavelec Evgeni would have 4 more goals. Sometimes other players do better. 19 giveaways last night by the penguins, but Gene is singled out.
Wednesday evening, pens on big screen tv acknowledge Evgeni's season and he doesn't get a standing ovation from all. Awful. Sid with his 2 goals is permitted to turn the puck over; always?

Geno is -3 and Sid is +1 and you can just 'feel' that difference. Remember what I said, I like Geno I just wish he would get his head in the game.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:56 pm

I thought it was an entertaining game, despite the loss. The arena was rocking, Sid was scoring, Vokoun looked great.

The Pens had some sloppy play, which was dissapointing. The Jets also made alot of mistakes - but I'm not shocked by any of that due to the shortened training camp and no preseason games etc. Unfortunately, I think we (and fans of every other team) are going to see alot more inconsistant play this season, especially early on.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins