Should Pens get a RFA defenseman?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Should Pens get a RFA defenseman?

Postby Bioshock on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:20 am

Kovy27 wrote:
Bioshock wrote:And yes, Despres is being shopped around from what the reports say. It's not an indictment of him or his play. It's just that when you have Morrow, Maatta, Pouliot, Harrington, Dumoulin, and Bortuzzo all waiting in the wings over the next few years, you can easily become expendable and Despres is the highest value guy since he has a larger track record and just as large of a pedigree as the rest of the talent.

The big rumor flying around is Despres to MIN for Setoguchi.

What? News to me. I haven't heard any details.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:33 am

Bioshock wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:
Bioshock wrote:And yes, Despres is being shopped around from what the reports say. It's not an indictment of him or his play. It's just that when you have Morrow, Maatta, Pouliot, Harrington, Dumoulin, and Bortuzzo all waiting in the wings over the next few years, you can easily become expendable and Despres is the highest value guy since he has a larger track record and just as large of a pedigree as the rest of the talent.

Russo had an article about it today in the minnesota papers. Stating that the Wild need a PMD and Pittsburgh has him available. They'd like to move Seto. Of course, I can't find it now.

I guess also on the news last night (Pittsburgh), they mentioned something about moving Dupuis. I heard that through another person, so grain of salt there.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bioshock on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:45 am

Kovy27 wrote:
Bioshock wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:

Russo had an article about it today in the minnesota papers. Stating that the Wild need a PMD and Pittsburgh has him available. They'd like to move Seto. Of course, I can't find it now.

I guess also on the news last night (Pittsburgh), they mentioned something about moving Dupuis. I heard that through another person, so grain of salt there.

Of course i stopped following Russo after the lockout. Stupid me. Will have to look into that. Was all about Seto last summer. Would support something like that.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:00 am

Bioshock wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:
Bioshock wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:

Of course i stopped following Russo after the lockout. Stupid me. Will have to look into that. Was all about Seto last summer. Would support something like that.

On the HF Wild board they're pulling for it, too.

Wake up, CF!!!
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kaizer on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:23 am

do not move dupuis
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FallenHero96 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:06 am

Article that mentions Setoguchi and Despres:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/188501981.html
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SteelCityFan on Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:13 am

brwi wrote:If MTL wins 2-3 more in a row, I think you'll see Subban suddenly coming to terms with the Habs and I also don't think in any way they are going to move him regardless.

Pens' D this year has been hung out to dry far too often by the forwards and I'm not so sure that another guy back there is going to help a lot until that gets fixed. I'm sure RS is looking to make an addition on the blueline at some point, but I don't see it as imminent.

Exactly what I was thinking. What good is getting another d-man when your forwards are constantly turning the puck over in your zone?
SteelCityFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:45 am

I guess Seto taking games off is no different than Despres getting scratched...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:49 am

Trade a prospect for the type of guy you might as well buy as a UFA. Cooooool
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:06 am

FallenHero96 wrote:Article that mentions Setoguchi and Despres:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/188501981.html

The writer of that is just trying to put the pieces together. A lot of they could be interested if this player is available...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bioshock on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:15 am

Russo is normally a good source of info but i think he's just connecting the dots in that blog.

Makes sense none the less though.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:18 am

I wasn't that crazy about the Gagner idea (because it's a risk as to whether he has already reached his general ceiling).
Setoguchi? No thanks.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby shmenguin on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:25 am

At least there's financial value and potential growth with gagner.

If he does well here, you still have an RFA contract left to keep the cost down. Setoguchi is either not going to be good or too expensive to keep. There's not much in between. Meanwhile depres has several years before his cap hit would be an issue.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bioshock on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:39 am

shmenguin wrote:At least there's financial value and potential growth with gagner.

If he does well here, you still have an RFA contract left to keep the cost down. Setoguchi is either not going to be good or too expensive to keep. There's not much in between. Meanwhile depres has several years before his cap hit would be an issue.

Well, that is why you have Bennett coming up. And really, Seto's stats are pretty similar to Neal's before he came here. The only difference is one is a RFA and the other is a UFA. But, like i said, that is why you have Bennett.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:56 am

Neals stats were different because they came with more potential.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:05 pm

If the Habs would take Despres and a 1st for Subban and it was a sure thing Subban would sign here I'd do it.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:28 pm

Subban is too expensive. Plus it would take more than a player and pick to get him.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:29 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:If the Habs would take Despres and a 1st for Subban and it was a sure thing Subban would sign here I'd do it.

I understand your interest in Subban's upside, but he also has a downside of undisciplined play and penalties. That would be drastically overpaying for him when you hold Despres' potential as the magnifying glass. Giving a 1st for him also would be overpaying.

I can't understand why the first few games of this season are what everyone wants to evaluate Despres off of, and yet the organization completely ingnored Tangradi's entire track record in handing him a chance.

If you watched Despres playing top 4 minutes last year when the injuries on the blueline hit, you saw the tip of his iceberg. He can be a top 4 and perhaps even top 2 D as well. When he uses his body, it eliminates his man. He just doesn't appear as out of control as Subban. I am certainly not on board with adding a 1st to the pot in addition to our best "next gen" prospect.

Then you have Subban's outspoken nature and his current contract situation. Not the character I want on this team.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby murphydump55 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:29 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:If the Habs would take Despres and a 1st for Subban and it was a sure thing Subban would sign here I'd do it.

Are we willing to pay him 5m a season though? Especially when we have to sign Letang?

I can't believe Montreal is only offering him just over 2m a season. He's pretty much the face of your team and your best defenseman when Markov isn't healthy. (which is almost always)....or he could be your best in front of him when he is healthy.

Either way, I think they're lowballing him.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:30 pm

columbia wrote:I wasn't that crazy about the Gagner idea (because it's a risk as to whether he has already reached his general ceiling).
Setoguchi? No thanks.

Setoguchi is all hat and no cattle. Don't be fulled by his wheels. Dupuis has better hockey sense.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby offsides on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:34 pm

Subban is nothing but a dirt back. I could never root for his digusting style of play.

Unless he helps us win a cup. :pop:
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:38 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
columbia wrote:I wasn't that crazy about the Gagner idea (because it's a risk as to whether he has already reached his general ceiling).
Setoguchi? No thanks.

Setoguchi is all hat and no cattle. Don't be fulled by his wheels. Dupuis has better hockey sense.

And determination and defensive ability and even consistency.

Even in juniors, Seto kind of checked out. He's without a doubt more talented than Dupuis and sometimes you'd see him streak down the wing in Saskatoon and light up the goalie...and other nights, it's late second period and you're forgetting why you even started watching a Blades game...he gets comfortable quick, he'll prove he belongs and then once he does, he'll ride it for a while...

I've never much cared for him...trading Despres for him sounds like a panic move to me...we can be more creative with our assets I think...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:40 pm

The whole point of drafting depres was to give him time, hope he becomes a good player, and then take advantage of the 2-3 years where you have him at a discounted price. So if you trade him for subban, you

A) give up on depres
B) admit that your draft pick was a failure
C) lose all the financial benefits of home grown talent

You don't trade a guy for the player you think he can be in a few years. Come on.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bioshock on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:47 pm

shmenguin wrote:You don't trade a guy for the player you think he can be in a few years. Come on.

Sure you can. Especially if you think your team can win now and if you are trading from a position of strength.

Not saying i would do it though. That is why i would think they would turn despres into a winger via trade than another defenseman.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens#1 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:53 pm

no name wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:Is Despres tradebait now?

Rossi thinks so, but Rossi doesn't know his head from a hole in the ground. Despres has no trade value, what has he proven during his NHL career. You might get a really good depth defenceman for him, just since he is raw and young. but until he proves he can maintain NHL employement, you won't get much.

I wouldnt say Go Go had proven that much at the time of his trade
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins