Coach who?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Coach who?

Postby Guinness on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:50 pm

Given the 2 game losing streak, the bridge jumping is unsurprising. Heaven help us if they lose today.

Some schools of thought within the martial arts teach keeping the opponent at bay with kicks and punches. But another school of thought teaches using the opponents energy and inertia against them. Toward that end, since there is much frustration, some justified and some not, with Head Coach Dan Bylsma, I'd like to hear who you think should be named the head coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins, and WHY. Realistic options only, please. No Mike Babcocks. No Scotty Bowmans.

Your time begins... NOW.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Coach who?

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:53 pm

who is bridge jumping?
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Guinness on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:56 pm

I don't have my list in front of me, sorry.

Thoughts on the topic?
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bowser on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:58 pm

Shero probably picks John Hynes but I think a guy who could help is Dave King based on his experience that helped develop and push Evgeni Malkin. I strongly believe the Penguins are missing the boat on Malkin's PK ability and King has publicly wondered why Malkin hasn't played there in the NHL.

I'm sure we'll hear names like Jacques Martin, Ron Wilson, Tom Renney, etc.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:03 pm

I don't know if you're implying the opposite here, but if someone thinks bylsma should be fired, they don't need to name his replacement to validate their opinion.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Guinness on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:10 pm

shmenguin wrote:I don't know if you're implying the opposite here, but if someone thinks bylsma should be fired, they don't need to name his replacement to validate their opinion.

No that's not what I'm saying at all. I'm just curious to read who people think could or should replace Bylsma.

For the record, I'm of the opinion that after last year's playoff performance, he should be on a short leash.

I don't follow the league in general closely enough to have any idea who could be considered a candidate to replace him.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Guinness on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:18 pm

Bowser wrote:Shero probably picks John Hynes but I think a guy who could help is Dave King based on his experience that helped develop and push Evgeni Malkin. I strongly believe the Penguins are missing the boat on Malkin's PK ability and King has publicly wondered why Malkin hasn't played there in the NHL.

I'm sure we'll hear names like Jacques Martin, Ron Wilson, Tom Renney, etc.

If any of those three are hired, I'll barf.

Dave King is intriguing...
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:22 pm

On the record, I think he should have been fired in the offseason. If pressed, id say they could have let granato have the team.

Now? You gotta give him 15-20 games to see what's what. If the same discipline problems keep happening, get rid of him
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:48 pm

Paul Maurice got a lot out of Malkin for Metalurg. Bring him in next year.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:49 pm

Ron Wilson would be a bad fit, I feel...especially for some of the younger players...it would quickly become the lunatics running the asylum again here...and Tom Renney would have a hard time getting the most of our grinders in the bottom six I feel, some players don't respect him because they don't feel that he respects what they do sometimes...

We're in a tough position to find a good replacement...we need someone that's disciplined, has a lot of tactical know-how, motivation skills and can get the most out of our offensive stars...it'd be no easy task...

I'm not sure, off hand, who would have these traits...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:50 pm

shmenguin wrote:On the record, I think he should have been fired in the offseason. If pressed, id say they could have let granato have the team.

Now? You gotta give him 15-20 games to see what's what. If the same discipline problems keep happening, get rid of him

agreed :thumb:
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the riddler on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:52 pm

DelPen wrote:Paul Maurice got a lot out of Malkin for Metalurg. Bring him in next year.

I like Maurice, he has a ton of coaching experience and he's never had a team as talented as Pittsburgh. I think Bylsma deserves a shot to get this going in the right direction, especially in a shortened season. If he can't, I don't see why 4 seasons of disappointment would be accepted.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:01 pm

DelPen wrote:Paul Maurice got a lot out of Malkin for Metalurg. Bring him in next year.

Hmm...Maurice is interesting. I wonder if he could hold the attention of an energetic team like Pittsburgh. He's also very intolerant of young players and forgiving of veterans. Which scares me given the young defense we're going to have soon and the incoming Bennett (perhaps). If Engelland holds a job because he's played 1000 games in the minors over Morrow just because of age, I'd be upset...he won't get adventurous with lines, which is good and bad for us...he probably wouldn't try Bennett or Tangradi in the top six, instead probably opting for someone like Matt Cooke...

He also doesn't really delegate "time" properly...he doesn't use his fourth line really and he ran Cam Ward ragged with constant back-to-back starts...granted, he didn't have a backup of Vokoun's caliber, but I wonder if that would have changed anything...

He's an interesting suggestion at least, I'd just be worried about how he handles the young players.

I can see it now...a fourth line of Megna-Tangradi-Bennett and a third pairing of Morrow-Dumoulin and an average ice time whose minutes can be counted on one hand...

I'll still put him in the "maybe" pile...there are far worse suggestions out there/to come...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:09 pm

Whenever there is a change it needs to be a new face. Since Kehoe took over its been a company man. I get the idea of bring up th WBS guy because he knows the system and organization. But how successful has this system been in the AHL? It's not like its cranking out playoff success there either.

It's funny, this team played a lot better with Yeo and Tom Fitzgerald on the bench. Rierdan iS basically a yes man to Bylsma it seems. I like Granato though, if Bylsma does get fired mid season he will be fine for the rest of the year provided he can bring in new assistants, or at least bring in Guerin and Fitzgerald to help since they are employees now.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:13 pm

Tom Fitzgerald
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:15 pm

penny lane wrote:Tom Fitzgerald

If they went into a complete free fall and decided to go with an internal person, Fitzgerald would be my choice for the rest of the season.
Not sure he'd be interested, however.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:16 pm

Tom Fitzgerald would be great but I don't think he has any interest in coaching. I'd give Granato first shot, but both King and Maurice would be solid options IMO.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:19 pm

Mike Keenan, want me to walk over to his house and ask him? :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:20 pm

DelPen wrote:Whenever there is a change it needs to be a new face. Since Kehoe took over its been a company man. I get the idea of bring up th WBS guy because he knows the system and organization. But how successful has this system been in the AHL? It's not like its cranking out playoff success there either.

It's funny, this team played a lot better with Yeo and Tom Fitzgerald on the bench. Rierdan iS basically a yes man to Bylsma it seems. I like Granato though, if Bylsma does get fired mid season he will be fine for the rest of the year provided he can bring in new assistants, or at least bring in Guerin and Fitzgerald to help since they are employees now.

Good points here, I feel.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby offsides on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:20 pm

mikey287 wrote:Ron Wilson would be a bad fit, I feel...especially for some of the younger players...it would quickly become the lunatics running the asylum again here...and Tom Renney would have a hard time getting the most of our grinders in the bottom six I feel, some players don't respect him because they don't feel that he respects what they do sometimes...

We're in a tough position to find a good replacement...we need someone that's disciplined, has a lot of tactical know-how, motivation skills and can get the most out of our offensive stars...it'd be no easy task...

I'm not sure, off hand, who would have these traits...

Mikey, it sounds like you have a good handle on the situation. You up for the job? :wink:
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:20 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:Mike Keenan, want me to walk over to his house and ask him? :)

No, but thanks.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:21 pm

See if you can score a Flyers drink cozy from him.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:21 pm

mikey287 wrote:
DelPen wrote:Whenever there is a change it needs to be a new face. Since Kehoe took over its been a company man. I get the idea of bring up th WBS guy because he knows the system and organization. But how successful has this system been in the AHL? It's not like its cranking out playoff success there either.

Good points here, I feel.

I kind of contradict myself with the outsider and being ok with Granato but what I mean is not perpetuating calling up the AHL coach by default or God forbid hiring the color commentator although Errey would be intriguing 8-)
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:31 pm

columbia wrote:See if you can score a Flyers drink cozy from him.

Yep, cause a Flyers drink cozy is *exactly* what's missing from this team right now;)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby columbia on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:36 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
columbia wrote:See if you can score a Flyers drink cozy from him.

Yep, cause a Flyers drink cozy is *exactly* what's missing from this team right now;)

I mean for you at the beach. :pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins