Coach who?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Coach who?

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:51 pm

columbia wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
columbia wrote:See if you can score a Flyers drink cozy from him.

Yep, cause a Flyers drink cozy is *exactly* what's missing from this team right now;)

I mean for you at the beach. :pop:

Oh, then Nevermind :pop:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:08 pm

offsides wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Ron Wilson would be a bad fit, I feel...especially for some of the younger players...it would quickly become the lunatics running the asylum again here...and Tom Renney would have a hard time getting the most of our grinders in the bottom six I feel, some players don't respect him because they don't feel that he respects what they do sometimes...

We're in a tough position to find a good replacement...we need someone that's disciplined, has a lot of tactical know-how, motivation skills and can get the most out of our offensive stars...it'd be no easy task...

I'm not sure, off hand, who would have these traits...

Mikey, it sounds like you have a good handle on the situation. You up for the job? :wink:

:lol: I have some ideas, but I wouldn't be comfortable being a head coach right off the hop...especially with the tough-to-please LGP crowd putting me under the microscope! "He scratched Deryk Engelland again!?!?! Fire the MFer!"

@DelPen - I don't view Granato as a contradiction to what you're saying...he is an outsider for the purposes of this discussion. I worry about how he handled his time in Colorado as a head man, I think he's better served as an assistant, but I've never met him either...

To my list of traits, add "a high level of adaptability" - we need a coach that isn't married to one system and can only teach one system (I'm still in the running :P ). Does Bylsma know more than what he's preaching? It sounds obvious, but not all coaches know more than the basics of other systems, they know their own and every nook and cranny of it...but if you asked Bylsma to make a defensive system, does he know the ins-and-outs of one? I don't know the answer to this, but I do know we need it (or think I know that we do). Especially in this shortened, condensed season (if we'll be needing a new coach this winter), we can't have the metal to the pedal to the other metal all the time. I see that we set up a 1-2-2 in a couple games early on (remember, when we were a winning team?) but that's just fundamental defense, every player knows the basics of it, it's pre-school stuff...

Honestly, we'd probably be a pretty good strong-side attack team...sort of like St. Louis does...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:42 pm

DelPen wrote:Whenever there is a change it needs to be a new face. Since Kehoe took over its been a company man. I get the idea of bring up th WBS guy because he knows the system and organization. But how successful has this system been in the AHL? It's not like its cranking out playoff success there either.

It's funny, this team played a lot better with Yeo and Tom Fitzgerald on the bench. Rierdan iS basically a yes man to Bylsma it seems. I like Granato though, if Bylsma does get fired mid season he will be fine for the rest of the year provided he can bring in new assistants, or at least bring in Guerin and Fitzgerald to help since they are employees now.

I was thinking about the this other night and about how many of us wanted Yeo run out on a rail. Hindsight aside, and mixing transportation metaphors, that ship has sailed.

But with regard to Tom Fitzgerald, I agree that there's a negative performance differential since he left the coaching staff. It's hard to ascertain to what if any degree he may be a factor; many of us (including me) are working from observation here, and a good bit of FHCMT's defense-first mindset was still evident when Tom was behind the bench with DB. But I'm leaning toward trying to get Tom Fitzgerald to return behind the bench, even if temporarily, but not take over.

I think the players want to win for DB; I say this only to point out that motivation is there, not that "wanting to win for" someone is the be-all, end-all. I don't want to put too much stock into what we saw in "24/7" or see during game broadcasts, as only so much is revealed to us. But I think DB strikes a balance between being a players' coach but tough when necessary. Those of you who attend practices can offer much more on this.

Yes, the HC oversees all instruction and execution; theoretically, the buck stops with the HC. But assistant coaches exist for a reason. Assistants get even closer to the actual job itself and often tougher on or sympathetic to the person doing the job--to be the HC's "bad cop" or "good cop" when appropriate and instruct the more tedious but necessary details involved in execution. So, if a coaching change must be made, does it have to be with the HC? Can it not be done a notch down at the assistant level? I think it can. Just a thought.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Beveridge on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:20 pm

Mike Babcock if Detroit is just as stupid as us to fire the head coach.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Godric on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:42 am

Gaucho wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:Mike Keenan, want me to walk over to his house and ask him? :)

No, but thanks.

I'd be willing to argue that Keenan would fit this team like a glove believe it or not. I believe he is a hell of a coach.

He knows how to coach 2 extremely talented centers. 1987 Canada Cup. (And yes I knew about that before EPP's post in JTOR)

Great book.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Mongoose87 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:58 am

I've always thought Dick LeBeau deserved another shot as HC somewhere.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby littlemoonboot on Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:26 am

It would take the **** to seriously hit the fan for Bylsma to get canned mid season. I don't think the players would quit on him the way they did MT. If anything happened with DB it would be in the offseason...

It still irritates me that the Flyers got Laviolette. I hate seeing good coaches with teams I hate, and miss the clown days Flyers with Cake Man Stevens.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Eismann on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:01 pm

Dave Tippett, hands down. Coaches speed and pressure. Did a helluva job in Dallas and Phoenix. Would be better with Pens talent. Yes, similar to hcdb in principle, but has more kill in him.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tfrizz on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:22 pm

Eismann wrote:Dave Tippett, hands down. Coaches speed and pressure. Did a helluva job in Dallas and Phoenix. Would be better with Pens talent. Yes, similar to hcdb in principle, but has more kill in him.

Not to mention his teams are ALWAYS very very good defensively.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:30 pm

Yeah, he's always been defense-first...collapsing teams...look at goalie stats under Tippett...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:31 pm

Is there any indication Tippett would actually leave Phoenix, let alone Phoenix letting him leave?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:34 pm

Nope and nope. As luck would have it, there's a better chance the Coyotes move than the Coyotes moving Tippett...what a twist...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Godric on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:32 pm

mikey287 wrote:Nope and nope. As luck would have it, there's a better chance the Coyotes move than the Coyotes moving Tippett...what a twist...

I'll understand if you blast me for this Mikey, but if you were Shero and Mike Keenan applied for the job would you hire him?
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby pronovost19 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:47 pm

Ron Francis and Bob Boughner would be on my short list
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:13 pm

pronovost19 wrote:Ron Francis and Bob Boughner would be on my short list

They're not 'Merican. Shero likes his 'Mericans. :lol: Only half :lol: though.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:19 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
pronovost19 wrote:Ron Francis and Bob Boughner would be on my short list

They're not 'Merican. Shero likes his 'Mericans. :lol: Only half :lol: though.

Canada is North America :D
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:23 pm

Godric wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Nope and nope. As luck would have it, there's a better chance the Coyotes move than the Coyotes moving Tippett...what a twist...

I'll understand if you blast me for this Mikey, but if you were Shero and Mike Keenan applied for the job would you hire him?

I'd listen to what his ideas were for making the team better...ultimately, I think he's too old school for this group and I think he'd be rejected...but I'd listen to his sales pitch...at least we have two good goalies that we'd get to see play in every game...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:25 pm

Keenan rules just for the fact he once kept Kovalev out there for like a 10 min shift LOL
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby wondermoose on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:31 pm

Pat Quinn!
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:42 pm

Not a lot of coaching candidates out there. Bob Hartley might have been nice. Want defense? How about Larry Robinson? Gerard Gallant is another up-and-comer who just got hired as an assistant to Therrien. He actually looks like the best out there, though my inclination would be to go with someone with more experience...

But no thanks to Crawford, Wilson, Maurice, Renney, or Sutter.

Dave King? I don't know if he's up for the job. Fitzgerald is a possibility, as is probably Granato. Ron Francis owns part of the Canes, so he's out.

Gary Roberts.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:24 am

The Flyers fans are talking about firing Laviolette...if you can't beat 'em :pop:
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins