Despres for Setoguchi?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Despres for Setoguchi?

Postby The Current One on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:19 pm

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Brad-Rat ... QV8O6UrzlI

I think Despres is going to be a good player eventually, but this would be a good trade for the Pens were it to happen. Setoguchi would immediately fill a Pens need as a top-six winger, and his grit/size would be great for Malkin's line.
The Current One
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Despres for Setoguchi?

Postby tfrizz on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:22 pm

I wouldn't be overly opposed to Despres for Setoguchi.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby sniper on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:24 pm

Not interested.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:24 pm

No.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:25 pm

I do not expect this happen...Shero is smarter than that.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Nizzy on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:26 pm

mikey287 had a really good post about him why this might be a bad idea. He said Setoguchi can get too comfortable. He might go invisible for multiple games at a time like a Kennedy. I can't believe we are giving up on Despres already, in addition I can't believe out of all people LOVEJOY is the one taking his playing time. Give the kid 20 games, consistently, at the Pro level.

I'm really getting irritated by HCDB+GMRS right now. They better both hope Bortuzzo is the real thing. I'd hate to see not 1 of Borts, Strait, and Despres be a legit top 4 for us.... "We build from within, then trade them once they get there" -Pens
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:28 pm

Nizzy wrote:mikey287 had a really good post about him why this might be a bad idea. He said Setoguchi can get too comfortable. He might go invisible for multiple games at a time like a Kennedy. I can't believe we are giving up on Despres already, in addition I can't believe out of all people LOVEJOY is the one taking his playing time. Give the kid 20 games, consistently, at the Pro level.

I'm really getting irritated by HCDB+GMRS right now. They better both hope Bortuzzo is the real thing. I'd hate to see not 1 of Borts, Strait, and Despres be a legit top 4 for us.... "We build from within, then trade them once they get there" -Pens

Hard to get a read on Bort when all he sees is the press box. I'm more irritated by HCDB than GMRS. Shero is simply protected assets (Tangradi, Jeffrey, Bortuzzo, Lovejoy) by not subjecting them to waivers... HCDB makes the call on who plays and who sits.

I'd also like to point out that Brian Strait is +1 through 4 games with the Islanders (the best of all their defensemen), played over 18:00 in his latest game, and is playing an average of 16:52 per game including 1:35 per game on the PK. Judging by ice time, Strait is their #4 defenseman.
Last edited by tfrizz on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:29 pm

Another thread on the same subjects already being discussed in what feels like 10 others...?

No. Value-wise, it's really not bad, to be honest. But in real terms, I don't care for it that much. In a video game though it makes sense...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Trip McNeely on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:32 pm

Agreed Mikey. I always view Setoguchi as Tyler Kennedy with slightly more scoring ability and less physicality/work ethic.
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:33 pm

mikey287 wrote:Another thread on the same subjects already being discussed in what feels like 10 others...?

No. Value-wise, it's really not bad, to be honest. But in real terms, I don't care for it that much. In a video game though it makes sense...

I'd assume that it wouldn't be Despres for Setoguchi straight up. There'd have to be an "and" from the Wild, whether it's a pick or a minor leaguer.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rylan on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:35 pm

I'd rather Heatley over Setoguchi
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:37 pm

Rylan wrote:I'd rather Heatley over Setoguchi

Who wouldn't? But I extremely doubt the Wild are willing to move Heatley.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:42 pm

Yeah, everyone would rather have Heatley over Seto. The Wild probably won't want to add to that deal, considering what it cost them to get Seto in the first place.

How about Olli Maatta and Eric Tangradi for Johan Larsson and Brett Bulmer?

I'm not sure the Wild want to give up Larsson really...but that's the best I could come up with that doesn't involve us getting Seto...

EDIT: Meh, they'd have to really like Tangradi...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:05 pm

mikey287 wrote:Another thread on the same subjects already being discussed in what feels like 10 others...?

In a video game, you can control TK's release & shot bias, so he makes a much better fit on Malkin's line... :lol:

I expect something to shake this team up, but I was hoping for another big body that could help us win some 50/50 situations. Speed and scoring don't seem to be lacking in the top 6.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby meecrofilm on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:14 pm

No, but creativity is. (Not sure Seto is the answer in that regard either).
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FallenHero96 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:14 pm

I definitely think they would move Heatley, that's the feeling I get anyways. But with him it's that $7.5 mil cap hit for the next two years that could be a problem, plus his NMC.

The Wild also have two young wingers in the AHL right now that they are really exicted about, Jason Zucker and Charlie Coyle.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rylan on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:15 pm

My comment was more of a "aside from Clutteebuck, Heatley is the only other player from the Wild I want," than anything else.

Also, what is Havlat up to these days? Is he still with the Sharks?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby largegarlic on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:17 pm

I don't know enough about Setoguchi to comment on this particular proposed deal, but I don't object to the general idea of trading Despres. It's obvious that the Pens will have to use their stock of blue-chip d-man prospects to pull off any major trade. Despres is probably to most valuable of these prospects at this point, since he is the only one with actual NHL games under his belt. Trading Despres wouldn't be a sign that the Pens are giving up on him or don't think he's going to reach his potential; it just means that he expendable piece that could get the deal done. I think the Pens still liked Goligoski when they made the Neal. They just made the calculation (correctly) that they had enough d-man prospects in the pipeline to make up for losing him.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:17 pm

Rylan wrote:My comment was more of a "aside from Clutteebuck, Heatley is the only other player from the Wild I want," than anything else.

Also, what is Havlat up to these days? Is he still with the Sharks?

Think so. I think Shero is probably doing the same thing he did with Neal. He has a guy in mind and will move on him when he's ready. We heard for several years that Shero was interested in Neal before the trade happened. There have been the same rumblings with Glencross. Maybe it will be a guy like him? Who knows really...

All i do know is that if this team has a deficiency, Shero will do his best to address it.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:18 pm

Yeah, he's with the Sharks. Playing pretty well from what I've seen too.

Also, I doubt Minnesota wants to move Heatley. He was a real trooper for them last year...and would you want to break up a Parise-Koivu-Heatley line? I sure wouldn't...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bioshock on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:20 pm

largegarlic wrote:I don't know enough about Setoguchi to comment on this particular proposed deal, but I don't object to the general idea of trading Despres. It's obvious that the Pens will have to use their stock of blue-chip d-man prospects to pull off any major trade. Despres is probably to most valuable of these prospects at this point, since he is the only one with actual NHL games under his belt. Trading Despres wouldn't be a sign that the Pens are giving up on him or don't think he's going to reach his potential; it just means that he expendable piece that could get the deal done. I think the Pens still liked Goligoski when they made the Neal. They just made the calculation (correctly) that they had enough d-man prospects in the pipeline to make up for losing him.

This is my feelings exactly. I see other people saying the Pens are "giving up" on Despres. Nothing could be further from the truth. It's just that when you have essentially 6 guys who are coming along well and have a ton of pedrigree, you can afford to trade from that strength to get more in other areas.

Despres will be a stud. The only question is if it will be here or somewhere else.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rylan on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:22 pm

The Wild would be crazy to move Heatley unless they had another deal in the works somewhere. But I'm sure he likes being out of the spotlight after what seemed like years escaping his past.

I'm not worried about the team yet. I'm more bothered by the bottom 6 than the top 6 really
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bioshock on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:27 pm

In all seriousness, i would expect to see Michael Ryder's name to come up in the following weeks.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:28 pm

Again, I don't think Shero is actively shopping Despres because he's soured on him. IMO, he's trying to find a top 6 wing, and Despres is the asset other teams are asking about.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Nizzy on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:30 pm

Bioshock wrote:
largegarlic wrote:I don't know enough about Setoguchi to comment on this particular proposed deal, but I don't object to the general idea of trading Despres. It's obvious that the Pens will have to use their stock of blue-chip d-man prospects to pull off any major trade. Despres is probably to most valuable of these prospects at this point, since he is the only one with actual NHL games under his belt. Trading Despres wouldn't be a sign that the Pens are giving up on him or don't think he's going to reach his potential; it just means that he expendable piece that could get the deal done. I think the Pens still liked Goligoski when they made the Neal. They just made the calculation (correctly) that they had enough d-man prospects in the pipeline to make up for losing him.

This is my feelings exactly. I see other people saying the Pens are "giving up" on Despres. Nothing could be further from the truth. It's just that when you have essentially 6 guys who are coming along well and have a ton of pedrigree, you can afford to trade from that strength to get more in other areas.

Despres will be a stud. The only question is if it will be here or somewhere else.

IMO, Lovejoy is a scrub that HCDB overrates. Strait in 4 games at the pro level for the Islanders has played better than Lovejoy ever has. Failure #1. Moving Despres before moving Lovejoy failure #2. I can see if Despres gets CONSISTENT 3rd pairing minutes, but now hes not even playing LOL!!! What has Lovejoy done over the past year to warrant him time over Simon? Nothing.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins