Despres for Setoguchi?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Despres for Setoguchi?

Postby Pitts on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:09 am

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:I'd pull off a Glencross/Despres trade in a heartbeat. I'm sure most people here would view that has an overpayment for Glencross, but I don't.

I'm pretty certain you have that backwards. It would cost more than Depres to land Glencross.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:57 am

I wanted Setoguchi when he was on the Sharks. His time with the Wild has been a bust imo.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:03 pm

I hate to start a new thread on this type of thing, but Damian Cox is suggesting the Leafs move Kessel. He's never lived up to the hype in Toronto (who has?) and would be better suited on a team as a secondary scorer.

I know he's had a reputation of being difficult, pouty, and not one to play defense. Would he work for this Pens team? Could he be rejuvenated (He's only 25!) on this roster? Is he still a cancer? He's also a U.S. born player, which is right up Shero's alley.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/art ... kessel-cox
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rylan on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:19 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:I hate to start a new thread on this type of thing, but Damian Cox is suggesting the Leafs move Kessel. He's never lived up to the hype in Toronto (who has?) and would be better suited on a team as a secondary scorer.

I know he's had a reputation of being difficult, pouty, and not one to play defense. Would he work for this Pens team? Could he be rejuvenated (He's only 25!) on this roster? Is he still a cancer? He's also a U.S. born player, which is right up Shero's alley.

Kessel has been cancer free for years now :pop:
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:33 pm

Being that we only have 5 defensemen (currently only 4 now that Nisky is out) that DB trusts enough to rotate fully, I think we should be adding defensemen and not subtracting them at this point. Or at least playing the young guys enough to get them ready for the playoffs. Trade them in the offseason for wingers if RS feels the need for more wingers, to give more young defensemen a time to develop at the beginning of next season.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby no name on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:41 pm

Its not a bad trade at all. You get a forward with hands for a defenceman who isn't proven and the book is still out on him.

I always hoped for RJ Umbringer, but Columbus would want Morrow not Despres, so no way!!!!
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby canaan on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:53 pm

id take kessel in a heartbeat. we dont have the assets, or more succinctly, we dont want to give up the assets necessary to acquire kessel.

it would take bennett, harrington, maata, + 1st or something to that extent to be in the ballpark, but i think another team would offer more.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mad City Mike on Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:31 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:I hate to start a new thread on this type of thing, but Damian Cox is suggesting the Leafs move Kessel. He's never lived up to the hype in Toronto (who has?) and would be better suited on a team as a secondary scorer.

Kessel is nothing more than Kennedy with talent in terms of puck management. His only passes are accidental. I'm sure Sid would veto the mere thought of playing with Kessel.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:34 pm

canaan wrote:
it would take bennett, harrington, maata, + 1st or something to that extent to be in the ballpark, but i think another team would offer more.

I wouldn't pull the trigger on that deal. No way.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:01 pm

The price for Kessel would be obscene probably...I'm not sure that he's really been that big of a miss to be honest, he's scoring goals, what do you expect him to do? Going back to his youth, that's all he was for...he's totally one-dimensional and would not get along with the club's locker room atmosphere I wouldn't think...

The assets are already sunk into Kessel, what are you gonna do...?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:27 pm

I really think Sid needs a speed guy and Kessel has that asset to his game. Its nice to dream but the cap hit mess we would face with Kessel Letang and Geno waiting for a new contract would be a night mare. And imagine if you trade for Kessel and he leaves after the season.

Setoguchi is a nicer option, nicer on the books and you might be able to get him for a low price. But its hard to imagine him finding his game since its avaoided him for the last 2 years. 31, 20 22 19 goal seasons. i would have to imagine he could maintain 20 goals a year on a line with Sid. But of course we have that right now with Duper and kunitz.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mariojr on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:42 am

Nizzy wrote:Crosby lost his career 1000 point winger his rookie year:

Spoiler:
Andy Hilbert.

More points playing alongside Crosby in the regular season than Hossa.

Haha. I first thought you meant Mario. I was sad when he had to retire due to a heart ailment. Yeah, he had lost some speed, and his shot wasn't as good, but I wondered how much of that was due to the heart condition. I remember the first game they put Mario and Sid together on the PP, they had, I think 4 PP goals. It would have been great if Mario could have played another year, although they still probably lose in the first round.
mariojr
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:44 am

I remember rumors swirled back just before the Neal/Niskanen trade that Shero had inquired about Setoguchi from San Jose, plus I remember rumors about him talking with them last summer regarding a trade involving Martin for him.

I've no idea how real these rumors were, but if true at all, it seems Shero and his team likes Devin a lot.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meow on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:31 am

sil wrote:I remember rumors swirled back just before the Neal/Niskanen trade that Shero had inquired about Setoguchi from San Jose, plus I remember rumors about him talking with them last summer regarding a trade involving Martin for him.

I've no idea how real these rumors were, but if true at all, it seems Shero and his team likes Devin a lot.

Or the media retreads the same rumors over and over again.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins