Official GDT Pens v Sens 1/27/13

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT Pens v Sens 1/27/13

Postby PghSkins on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:00 pm

Lol MAF looked like he wanted to Punch Potash
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby guiner on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:00 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:So since we won, does that mean everyone will still complain and moan?

You need to look at it usually after 2 games having broken a streak either way. If they lose the next, back to complaining. If they win, we plan the Cup parade. That's the general rule.
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SDPen77 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:00 pm

Yay nice win! So glad I had a chance to see the SO!
SDPen77

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:00 pm

guiner wrote:
Rocco wrote:Clearly the Pens succeeded in the shootout because of Tangradi, right Steigy?

Well, he did do the little things an NHLer needs to do while on the bench. Tapped his stick on the boards, put the water bottle back where it belongs and said "atta boy Nealsy. Come on boyz, lets get this one" Clearly he again earned top 6 line role with that effort.

Not so fast, my friend. It's "Nealer."

(I think.)
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:01 pm

guiner wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:So since we won, does that mean everyone will still complain and moan?

You need to look at it usually after 2 games having broken a streak either way. If they lose the next, back to complaining. If they win, we plan the Cup parade. That's the general rule.

Yes, I plan on beating that video like a dead horse.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PghSkins on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:01 pm

O Noez Jay, don't say good things about Tangradi
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby guiner on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:02 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:
guiner wrote:
Rocco wrote:Clearly the Pens succeeded in the shootout because of Tangradi, right Steigy?

Well, he did do the little things an NHLer needs to do while on the bench. Tapped his stick on the boards, put the water bottle back where it belongs and said "atta boy Nealsy. Come on boyz, lets get this one" Clearly he again earned top 6 line role with that effort.

(I think.)

90% of penguin nicknames are name+sy, so I was just going with odds.
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:03 pm

guiner wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:
guiner wrote:

(I think.)

90% of penguin nicknames are name+sy, so I was just going with odds.

Hey, they're great odds... :lol:
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Malkamaniac on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:04 pm

Why is everyone clamoring for Bortuzzo lately?
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bioshock on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:04 pm

Was really impressed with the Pens tonight outside of entering the zone on the PP. Great win.

And for anyone who says Bylsma isn't getting through to the players, just sit and watch this game Clockwork Orange style. The adjustments they made were significant and it showed.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mariojr on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:05 pm

I missed this game due to other activities. I only saw the last three shots on the shootout. What adjustments did they make to hold Ottawa to one goal? Did they rearrange the lines? Put Tangradi on the 4th line? Put wingers on their familiar wings so they didn't end up setting up Ottawa shooters for one-timers in the slot? Or did they just emphasize team defense, forwards getting back to help out the D, that sort of thing?
mariojr
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:07 pm

mariojr wrote:I missed this game due to other activities. I only saw the last three shots on the shootout. What adjustments did they make to hold Ottawa to one goal? Did they rearrange the lines? Put Tangradi on the 4th line? Put wingers on their familiar wings so they didn't end up setting up Ottawa shooters for one-timers in the slot? Or did they just emphasize team defense, forwards getting back to help out the D, that sort of thing?

More of the latter, but it seemed IMO that the forwards weren't coming back as deep for the breakout as the game went on. Alot less turnovers, but still some stupid passes and work to be done. The blind passes of Sid/Geno have to stop. They each gave one away doing that tonight.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:07 pm

mariojr wrote:I missed this game due to other activities. I only saw the last three shots on the shootout. What adjustments did they make to hold Ottawa to one goal? Did they rearrange the lines? Put Tangradi on the 4th line? Put wingers on their familiar wings so they didn't end up setting up Ottawa shooters for one-timers in the slot? Or did they just emphasize team defense, forwards getting back to help out the D, that sort of thing?

2 biggest changes:
-They emphasized the forwards playing deeper to help in puck support for the defense.
-They played a 1-2-2 with a very deep defensive pair to help jam up the neutral zone and keep the Sens from attacking with speed.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:07 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
guiner wrote:

Yes, I plan on beating that video like a dead horse.

Ill allow it
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NashvilleCat on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:08 pm

Fire0nice228 wrote:

More of the latter, but it seemed IMO that the forwards weren't coming back as deep for the breakout as the game went on. Alot less turnovers, but still some stupid passes and work to be done. The blind passes of Sid/Geno have to stop. They each gave one away doing that tonight.

One? More like at least one per period.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:08 pm

Do you feel better or worse about the team than you did 24 hours ago? I don't really feel better.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:12 pm

shmenguin wrote:

Do you feel better or worse about the team than you did 24 hours ago? I don't really feel better.

they have a ways to go, but their team defense was better tonight. Not great, but better. It'll come around
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bioshock on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:12 pm

shmenguin wrote:

I sure feel better. Their ability to completely change what they were doing on the defensive side of things in such a small time frame against a good team is cause for optimism.

Also, Paul Martin has been a monster this season. Was awesome tonight.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NashvilleCat on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:13 pm

shmenguin wrote:

Similar to what happened at the end of last year. Just because they're winning doesn't mean that obvious flaws won't cause problems later. They still have problems that need to be fixed.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mariojr on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:14 pm

Thanks for the responses. Hopefully DB will keep preaching defensive responsibility and the team will keep working it until it becomes second nature. That hasn't been the usual Disco Dan style, but three straight early exits say it's time to change up a bit.
mariojr
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:18 pm

I could only listen to 2/3 of the game, but it seems like the Halak-O-Meter was set to HI for the second consecutive game. Anderson had a heckuva game, it sounds like.
Last edited by Lt. Dish on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby AlexPKeaton on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:20 pm

Good thing there is only half a season if we are going to play Orpik, Letang, and Martin 30 minutes a night.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:22 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:Good thing there is only half a season if we are going to play Orpik, Letang, and Martin 30 minutes a night.

Losing Niskanen after the first was a big part of that, but I agree that they need to find a way to rotate 6 in a slightly more even fashion.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:22 pm

Pretty sweet 3rd period of hockey for both teams. I don't think Karlsson left the ice.

Turnovers were limited finally, other than Kunitz and Sutter who must have their heads deeply embedded in each other's backsides
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby largegarlic on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:23 pm

I don't know how people can't feel better about the Pens after this game. There were still too many turnovers, but I think they did cut down on them, and they did a much better job covering people right in front of their net, all while playing most of the game with 5 d-men. The only significant deterioration I noticed was the PP. Really, if you eliminate several of the stupidest turnovers and throw in a PP goal, that's pretty much a picture perfect road game.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins