Official GDT Pens v Sens 1/27/13

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT Pens v Sens 1/27/13

Postby sniper on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:48 pm

shmenguin wrote:
sniper wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:I'm missing Jordan Staal quite a bit. I know we couldn't afford to keep him, but at least he brought some offense to that third line. Has anyone other than Neal, Malkin, and Crosby scored this season? I can't even remember.

Martin, Letang, and Kennedy.

We could afford to keep Staal. He didn't want to stay.

Could have had him this year. Make a run with the best team possible. I would have rather played this year out, knowing he was going to leave rather than trade him for a 3rd liner and a couple guys that are years away from contributing

Years not over. They could trade those guys they got who are 3rd liners and years away from contributing for guys who can help now, right?
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sniper on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:50 pm

pressure=9Pa wrote:I missed the game, which is likely the true root cause of the Penguin win.

You aren't allowed to watch a Penguins game ever again. Sorry, but thank you for making the sacrifice! :P
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:53 pm

any word on nisky?
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:58 pm

iWonTheCup87 wrote:any word on nisky?

I've got the radio postgame, and all I heard was DB say, "lower body injury." That's it.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pugilist13 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:35 pm

A solid night for all the Dmen. Fleury came up big as well. Forwards still playing giveaway, at least they backchecked tonight. Baby steps up front i guess. God that was a sloppy game on both sides.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pressure=9Pa on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:49 pm

sniper wrote:
pressure=9Pa wrote:I missed the game, which is likely the true root cause of the Penguin win.

You aren't allowed to watch a Penguins game ever again. Sorry, but thank you for making the sacrifice! :P

It has crossed my mind. Pens are 1-2 with me watching.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bowser on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:02 pm

Niskanen will be re-evaluated in Pittsburgh tomorrow. If you saw the replay of his fall into boards, I'm thinking right knee injury.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:07 pm

NashvilleCat wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:So since we won, does that mean everyone will still complain and moan?

Do you feel better or worse about the team than you did 24 hours ago? I don't really feel better.

Similar to what happened at the end of last year. Just because they're winning doesn't mean that obvious flaws won't cause problems later. They still have problems that need to be fixed.

I think we also need to realize in the context of a seven game series. By that I mean its good we made adjustments, fell to a bit of a trap with deeper forwards in our own zone.

But now teams will scout for that, basically what happened in Philly last year. Everytime we adjusted they would adjust and still attack our weaknesses. We still have a problem with our forwards going into the zone and with one injury now and we know not every player will play 48 games, our depth will be tested.

Scary thought of the season to this point: if Martin isn't playing so well we would have a worse record. Sounds weird to say.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sigwolf on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:15 pm

I don't care if it's the home press or not, for anyone to give the first star to the losing goalie that allows 3 for 3 on the shootout to cost their team the extra point... freaking ridiculous. He was completely lost, and Crosby's was the only one that was a really challenging shot. Both Neal and Malkin's shootout attempts should have been fairly routine saves.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Durbano on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:29 pm

No idea if this was the case tonight, but it's not unheard-of for the three star selections to be submitted at the end of regulation or at the end of OT with the game tied. Time constraints notwithstanding, I've always thought that's impractical, but it may explain tonight's order. Or not.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sigwolf on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:51 pm

Durbano wrote:No idea if this was the case tonight, but it's not unheard-of for the three star selections to be submitted at the end of regulation or at the end of OT with the game tied. Time constraints notwithstanding, I've always thought that's impractical, but it may explain tonight's order. Or not.

Yeah, I think you're right. But that just makes the whole practice completely pointless. Why bother, if you're not going to reflect who most positively influenced the outcome of the game? If it's purely time constaints, then just call it like it is and label it the "Three stars of regulation". Three stars of the game just looks ridiculous in situations like this...
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:59 pm

Never knew 3 stars mattered that much to anyone. It's rather pointless anyways to be honest.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sigwolf on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:02 am

skullman80 wrote:Never knew 3 stars mattered that much to anyone. It's rather pointless anyways to be honest.

It doesn't matter, but that's the point. Why even have it if it has no bearing on the actual game?
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:08 am

FreeCandy44 wrote:Going old school here

You guys know why we won right? The fish is back.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:17 am

pressure=9Pa wrote:
sniper wrote:

It has crossed my mind. Pens are 1-2 with me watching.

See you next season! :P
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby sharpshootr55 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:58 am

FreeCandy44 wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:Going old school here

You guys know why we won right? The fish is back.

sharpshootr55
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby midd on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:32 am

The D and Flower played great games today. I'm hoping I don't jinx Martin here but he is off to a good start and is earning his prorated salary this year.

Kunitz may be a leader that the guys look to in the locker room, but he's not the same guy that helped this team win the cup. He's lost a step or two.

Letang couldn't keep the puck on his to save his life. That puck was bouncing everywhere.

I'm not going to continue to bash Tangradi. But he plays like he is afraid to put the puck on his stick. He seems so unsure of himself for the brief seconds that he has it. He did fire a heavy shot that was smothered by Anderson.

Good road win for the Pens!
midd
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:51 am

Something tells me that if Staal were playing with two LW's that don't shoot his production may have suffered quite a bit.

Kennedy played well and talent wise right now is easily #5 on forward depth. But when he got reunited with Cooke and Sutter that lines looked so much better. Spread the offense around please.

If Glass can skate hard for 15+ minutes and get to the net and bang bodies like he did last night with Malkin and Neal he's probably an adequate short term option but I still think Jeffrey should get a shot.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:56 am

Interesting thought. I had Cook-Out for lunch for the first time in several months (Foursquare said April).

I would be down with eating that before each game.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:04 am

DelPen wrote:Something tells me that if Staal were playing with two LW's that don't shoot his production may have suffered quite a bit.

Kennedy played well and talent wise right now is easily #5 on forward depth. But when he got reunited with Cooke and Sutter that lines looked so much better. Spread the offense around please.

If Glass can skate hard for 15+ minutes and get to the net and bang bodies like he did last night with Malkin and Neal he's probably an adequate short term option but I still think Jeffrey should get a shot.

glass, jeffrey, kennedy, tangradi, cooke, sutter...none of them are going to work. kennedy did ok-ish, but you could see there were some moments where he needed a little more skill to take advantage of the position. obviously cooke and glass would run into the same problems. sutter may have that skill (though he certainly hasn't shown it in a non-scrimmage setting), but we need him on the 3rd. tangradi sucks. and jeffrey is 80% theoretical, 20% sucky. if we're going to use one of these guys, they should be with Sid, IMO. playing with neal and malkin is more finesse-driven than Sid's style.

i think it's pretty evident now that shero really was "all in" with parise. not having a plan B for losing staal and sullivan's offense is a flat out failure on his part. obviosuly, i hate the michalek thing as well, but at least niskanen has been great as his replacement do far.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:41 am

shmenguin wrote:
DelPen wrote:Something tells me that if Staal were playing with two LW's that don't shoot his production may have suffered quite a bit.

glass, jeffrey, kennedy, tangradi, cooke, sutter...none of them are going to work. kennedy did ok-ish, but you could see there were some moments where he needed a little more skill to take advantage of the position. obviously cooke and glass would run into the same problems. sutter may have that skill (though he certainly hasn't shown it in a non-scrimmage setting), but we need him on the 3rd. tangradi sucks. and jeffrey is 80% theoretical, 20% sucky. if we're going to use one of these guys, they should be with Sid, IMO. playing with neal and malkin is more finesse-driven than Sid's style.

i think it's pretty evident now that shero really was "all in" with parise. not having a plan B for losing staal and sullivan's offense is a flat out failure on his part. obviosuly, i hate the michalek thing as well, but at least niskanen has been great as his replacement do far.

IMO Kennedy simply won't work with Malkin & Neal. His strengths are carrying/cycling the puck and generating shots but they need a Kunitz-esque "crash and bang" guy to compliment them.

It was a pretty poor group of free agents, so I can't blame Shero for not having a plan B.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:48 am

Multiple times in the past games Kennedy has forgot that his linemates are Malkin and Neal.

He'll enter into the zone and shoot the puck and the rush goes the other way. I hate him even more now than I did last year, and I didn't even think that was possible.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby midd on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:28 am

Multiple times Malkin passed the puck to either a Senator or open space where NO ONE was there. It's not just TK's fault.
midd
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Froggy on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:24 pm

i think i'm more worried about kunitz and dupuis being awful this year than i am about who gets plugged in on geno's line. at least geno has neal.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:31 pm

I hope no one was counting on Dupuis replicating his scoring pace from last year....I bet he wishes that had been a contract year, because he's destined to stay in the 15 goal range.

Crosby's needs some skill to work with....now.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins