Pens vs Caps Verizon Center advice

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pens vs Caps Verizon Center advice

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:01 am

I live around DC and I might be going with a few family memebers to the Verizon Center on Sunday for the game. Has anyone been here for a Pens Caps game? If so any advice on what to maybe eat around or anything about the Arena I should know or watch out for? Just more curious on what its like being there as an away fan because I have never seen the pens play away before.

thanks
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Pens vs Caps Verizon Center advice

Postby MarioLives on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:26 am

I will be there as well. I go every time the Pens play in D.C. Over the years I have learned to not drink as much and be pretty quiet. The Caps fans are more annoying than anything. They have an arrogance about them, that is kind of comical. The wife and I usually eat at this Mexican restaurant that is right across the street from the Verizon center. I cant remember the name of it right now.

Oh yea, be ready to get your ears blown out. The Caps love to treat their hockey games like wrestling. Lots of loud noise.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:31 am

MarioLives wrote:I will be there as well. I go every time the Pens play in D.C. Over the years I have learned to not drink as much and be pretty quiet. The Caps fans are more annoying than anything. They have an arrogance about them, that is kind of comical. The wife and I usually eat at this Mexican restaurant that is right across the street from the Verizon center. I cant remember the name of it right now.

Oh yea, be ready to get your ears blown out. The Caps love to treat their hockey games like wrestling. Lots of loud noise.

thanks i have only been here less than 2 years and I didnt have anyone to go with last season but I have a chance this weekend. The tickets are like 100$ at the cheapest is there any place else I should look besides stub hub because ticketmaster has nothing good. I can be quiet I just didnt want to worry about getting stuff poured on me but i figured the Caps fans are just idiots from what I have seen so I wasnt too worried.

thanks for your input
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jesse on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:35 am

Been there several times. There is a bar adjacent to the arena called the Rocket Bar. Not sure if it's still there, but it downstairs of some building. always tons of Pens fans there.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:37 am

Jesse wrote:Been there several times. There is a bar adjacent to the arena called the Rocket Bar. Not sure if it's still there, but it downstairs of some building. always tons of Pens fans there.

Sweet thanks you dont happen to know the name do you?
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:38 am

A lot of Pens fans tend to aggregate at the Greene Turtle too, which is directly adjacent of the Verizon Center. You'll be fine, and you won't really get harassed. There was a woman rocking the red beside me at the last game who might have been the dumbest fan I've ever heard, but it's nothing like Philly in terms of hostility.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:43 am

There's a Fudrucker's right across the street as well as a few other burger joints (I think maybe a Five Guys?). Also Bar Louie is right in the mall that's connected to the VZ center. Take the red line metro to China Town and it will drop you off right below the arena.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:55 am

thanks for all the advice. I figured they were nothing close to Philly because being around here I see how stupid their fans are so I wasnt too worried about them being hostile but I figured they would be annoying lol.
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Fire0nice228 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:22 pm

The game I went to in DC the fans were *******, but thats to be expected They heckled us, also expected, but the Pens got dominated the entire game so we kinda deserved it. Being on the Metro full of people in Caps gear was kinda cool. The bar thats attached to the arena and gives you access to the arena is cool, but they use Monster and not red bull, which is not.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby npv708 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:30 pm

As far as food goes, Potbelly's is across the street and Nando's (which has the best chicken I've ever had) is just down the road (across the street from RFD).

I've been to probably abou 10-12 Pens/Caps games at the Verizon Center. I'd say the majority of Caps fans aren't nearly as bad as they're made out to be here, but that depends on how you/your party act as fans. In all those games, I've only had one negative experience with a Caps fan. It all depends on whether or not your party is respectful. The one game last we went to last year, a 2-1 Pens win, probably 3 or 4 Caps fans stopped my wife and complimented her on how cool they thought her Kunitz Winter Classic Jersey was. Also, they hate Sid a lot more than anyone else, but a lot actually really like Malkin and Letang.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:39 pm

npv708 wrote:As far as food goes, Potbelly's is across the street and Nando's (which has the best chicken I've ever had) is just down the road (across the street from RFD).

I've been to probably abou 10-12 Pens/Caps games at the Verizon Center. I'd say the majority of Caps fans aren't nearly as bad as they're made out to be here, but that depends on how you/your party act as fans. In all those games, I've only had one negative experience with a Caps fan. It all depends on whether or not your party is respectful. The one game last we went to last year, a 2-1 Pens win, probably 3 or 4 Caps fans stopped my wife and complimented her on how cool they thought her Kunitz Winter Classic Jersey was. Also, they hate Sid a lot more than anyone else, but a lot actually really like Malkin and Letang.

thank you. We wont be rowdy or anything because I am not looking for a fight. Nandos is amazing I have had a few times it is def one of the best places I have found in the DC/MD area for relatively cheap. Potbellys is solid as well I just havent been down by the arena before so I was curious.

I figured they hate Sid because even at work they mess with me about him and still say hes a cry baby and all this other stuff. They havent moved on, even flyers fans admit hes the best and isnt all that crap or at least the ones I know. I really hope we pull out a win because tickets are pricey but it would be awesome winning so i can shove it in their face at the office
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MarioLives on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:44 pm

It is going to be a tough win IMO. Pens are playing back to back and 3 games in 4 days. They seem to always play the Caps on the second of a back to back. Plus the Caps have owned the Pens lately.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:12 pm

iWonTheCup87 wrote:
Jesse wrote:Been there several times. There is a bar adjacent to the arena called the Rocket Bar. Not sure if it's still there, but it downstairs of some building. always tons of Pens fans there.

Its definitely Rocket Bar, its downstairs and all you see is the entrance and the sign above it. Its my favorite bar in the DC Metro area. I was there on opening night. It fills up with hockey fans on gamedays.

I have never experienced any hostility at that bar or at the games. I would be there, but Saturday is the first opportunity to go to a Pens home game this year, and that trumps going to the Verizon Center, so i'm making the trip up to Pittsburgh for the weekend.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:16 pm

MarioLives wrote:It is going to be a tough win IMO. Pens are playing back to back and 3 games in 4 days. They seem to always play the Caps on the second of a back to back. Plus the Caps have owned the Pens lately.

yea ill try and enjoy even a loss but i want a win bad. The caps look terrible this season so hopefully we can pull it out
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thepittman on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:18 pm

I purposely wear my Crosby jersey to Flyers and Caps games. I love hearing "I don't have any problem with the penguins, just Sidney Crosby."
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:18 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
iWonTheCup87 wrote:

Its definitely Rocket Bar, its downstairs and all you see is the entrance and the sign above it. Its my favorite bar in the DC Metro area. I was there on opening night. It fills up with hockey fans on gamedays.

I have never experienced any hostility at that bar or at the games. I would be there, but Saturday is the first opportunity to go to a Pens home game this year, and that trumps going to the Verizon Center, so i'm making the trip up to Pittsburgh for the weekend.

thanks, didnt even notice you actually told me the name before my bad
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:19 pm

Haha, that was Jesse originally. If you end up going there, you'll come down the steps, walk around the bar to your left to the back room. Its usually less crowded there and you can get a better place to stand/sit.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:19 pm

Fado
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:28 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Haha, that was Jesse originally. If you end up going there, you'll come down the steps, walk around the bar to your left to the back room. Its usually less crowded there and you can get a better place to stand/sit.

lol thanks I am a little ldkfjgslkdfjs at work
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby dukeharris on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:42 pm

FWIW - DC Chophouse, 509 7th Street adjacent to Verizon Center.
dukeharris

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:40 am

dukeharris wrote:FWIW - DC Chophouse, 509 7th Street adjacent to Verizon Center.

thank you much appreicated
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pronovost19 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:58 pm

Only thing about rocketbbar is no kitchen..gotta take food in with you...at least last time i was here...remember seeing jesse, toonbroon and melicharsux in there
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MelicharSux on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:11 pm

pronovost19 wrote:Only thing about rocketbbar is no kitchen..gotta take food in with you...at least last time i was here...remember seeing jesse, toonbroon and melicharsux in there

Yup. I'll either be at Rocket Bar or Bar Louie.
MelicharSux
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins