Nisky is not OK. Update: 2-4 weeks

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Nisky is OK. Update: 2-4 weeks

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:56 pm

Gaucho wrote:Nisky is ok, out 2-4 weeks.

How is "out 2-4 weeks" okay? :P
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:56 pm

It's amazing how we seem to lose defensemen within the first two weeks of a season. Let's just hope it doesn't get as bad as in recenr years.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:57 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Nisky is ok, out 2-4 weeks.

How is "out 2-4 weeks" okay? :P

Just making fun of the initial thread title. :wink:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:59 pm

Gaucho wrote:It's amazing how we seem to lose defensemen within the first two weeks of a season. Let's just hope it doesn't get as bad as in recenr years.

And we never seem to have capable replacements despite taking every defenseman available in the draft.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:01 pm

Froggy wrote:Image

STARCHILD!

GM's I hear you callin', but I can't trade him right now

He and Letang will be playin' and I'll need a wing and a 1st round.

Just a few more games, and I'll get right back to you

GMs I hear you callin' - Rossi what can I do

Rossi what can I do.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby RxBandit66 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:03 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:
Gaucho wrote:It's amazing how we seem to lose defensemen within the first two weeks of a season. Let's just hope it doesn't get as bad as in recenr years.

And we never seem to have capable replacements despite taking every defenseman available in the draft.

I'm beginning to wonder about this too. I understand that when a team finishes high in the standings year after year it's tough to draft good players. I get that. But for cripes sakes, you'd think at least ONE of these guys would have made an impact by now :?
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Nisky is not OK. Update: 2-4 weeks

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:14 pm

I better see some of Bortuzzo over the next 2-4 weeks. Especially if they are looking to move Despres.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:15 pm

People, get a grip. The really prominent guys we drafted in recent years are all 18-22 years old, except Letang and Goligoski, who, I dare say, have definitely made an impact. The last few seasons we have at times missed up to 4 or 5 regulars, and still managed to somehow win more games than we lost. Christ...
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:16 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:I better see some of Bortuzzo over the next 2-4 weeks. Especially if they are looking to move Despres.

I agree completely. Playing both Lovejoy AND Despres over Bortuzzo is a head scratcher IMO.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:22 pm

Gaucho wrote:People, get a grip. The really prominent guys we drafted in recent years are all 18-22 years old, except Letang and Goligoski, who, I dare say, have definitely made an impact. The last few seasons we have at times missed up to 4 or 5 regulars, and still managed to somehow win more games than we lost. Christ...

Whoa...
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The U on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:30 pm

Big picture this might be beneficial to Despres/Bortuzzo. The more experience the bottom pairing or younger guys get the better off we will be in the postseason. We'll survive without Nisky for 10 games.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:33 pm

Rylan wrote:
Gaucho wrote:People, get a grip. The really prominent guys we drafted in recent years are all 18-22 years old, except Letang and Goligoski, who, I dare say, have definitely made an impact. The last few seasons we have at times missed up to 4 or 5 regulars, and still managed to somehow win more games than we lost. Christ...

Whoa...

Is it that bad? Not meant to be. I'm just a little irritated by people who complain about Despres not winning the Norris yet.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:39 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Rylan wrote:

Whoa...

Is it that bad? Not meant to be. I'm just a little irritated by people who complain about Despres not winning the Norris yet.

Not bad at all. But definitely not something I expected from your normally calm self
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:39 pm

For the record, I agree with it.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:41 pm

We have had big injuries on defense the last couple years and when needed Strait, Bortuzzo, Lovejoy, Engellend, Despres, Sneep and Picard along with even Hutchinson and Potter prior years come in and not be a liability. If anything it forced the forwards to get back to basics and play like they need to to win games.

Trying really hard to remember bad defensive games when we had a lot of injuries at once on defense. This will pass, Despres will be forced to play more minutes, letang will need to control his game to protect Despres. This might be a blessing in disguise to get the whole team to stop being stupid as long as Nisky will recover 100% by March.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:41 pm

despres as a kiss love child adds an exciting layer to his personality!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:43 pm

We have had big injuries on defense the last couple years and when needed Strait, Bortuzzo, Lovejoy, Engellend, Despres, Sneep and Picard along with even Hutchinson and Potter prior years come in and not be a liability. If anything it forced the forwards to get back to basics and play like they need to to win games.

Trying really hard to remember bad defensive games when we had a lot of injuries at once on defense. This will pass, Despres will be forced to play more minutes, letang will need to control his game to protect Despres. This might be a blessing in disguise to get the whole team to stop being stupid as long as Nisky will recover 100% by March.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:44 pm

Seriously though...in their last 10 drafts, the first round has produced 4 players currently on the roster(Fleury, Malkin, Crosby, Despres), returned players that are currently in the system(Dupuis, Kunitz, Tangradi, Sutter, Dumoulin), or are still in the system and promising(Bennett, Morrow, Pouliot, and Maatta). Thats actually 13 players in the past 10 years(11 if you ignore the fact that they also gave up EC and Armstrong for Hossa and they're even at 10 if you count the pick they gave away in the Hossa trade. Of course its also ignoring the Hossa rental.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:48 pm

DelPen wrote:We have had big injuries on defense the last couple years and when needed Strait, Bortuzzo, Lovejoy, Engellend, Despres, Sneep and Picard along with even Hutchinson and Potter prior years come in and not be a liability. If anything it forced the forwards to get back to basics and play like they need to to win games.

Let me just say... I'd feel much better if Strait was logging 18+ minutes for the team in black tonight, instead of the team in white.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:50 pm

Really?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:55 pm

Gaucho wrote:Really?

If that's directed at my post, then yes. Strait is nothing flashy, but he's solid in his own end - much more so than Lovejoy or even Despres (at this time). As others have mentioned, Bylsma clearly doesn't trust anyone outside his top 4 as is so it'd be nice to have a solid defensive defenseman to sub in while Niskanen is out.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Eismann on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:03 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
Froggy wrote:Image

STARCHILD!

GM's I hear you callin', but I can't trade him right now

He and Letang will be playin' and I'll need a wing and a 1st round.

Just a few more games, and I'll get right back to you

GMs I hear you callin' - Rossi what can I do

Rossi what can I do.

Gold
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:04 pm

And to support what I wrote above:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/gamelog/_ ... ian-strait

Went 7-2 with Strait last year. averaged less than 2 goals a game against in the 7 wins, all but one was 2 or less goals. Two losses were against the Isles where Fleury blew and the younger guys still were even for the most part.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=400047215
Defense was Sneep, Picard, Despres, Engellend, Orpik and Niskanen. Won 8-3

http://espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=400047322
Defense was Lovejoy, Picard, Despres, Engellend, Orpik and Niskanen. Won 3-2

Looking at some of the losses when we have defensemen hurt they seem to hinge on the play of Malkin's line, if they have a bad game we lose. Seems the story of this season too, bad mistakes and penalties leads to goals against with that line.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:07 pm

tfrizz wrote:
DelPen wrote:We have had big injuries on defense the last couple years and when needed Strait, Bortuzzo, Lovejoy, Engellend, Despres, Sneep and Picard along with even Hutchinson and Potter prior years come in and not be a liability. If anything it forced the forwards to get back to basics and play like they need to to win games.

Let me just say... I'd feel much better if Strait was logging 18+ minutes for the team in black tonight, instead of the team in white.

Maybe but we all know if Bylsma isn't playing Lovejoy, Engellend, Bortuzzo or Despres that much then why would he play his #9 choice 18 minutes?

This will be an interesting game with Strait going up against the Pens. If he can hold his own against Crosby or Malkin then we screwed up. And I am going to go crazy if Bylsma doesn't get Crosby or Malkin out as much as possible against the guy who Shero and Bylsma considered the 9th best defenseman on the team.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Penspal on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:17 pm

penny lane wrote:despres as a kiss love child adds an exciting layer to his personality!

I said he was Stanley Eisen's lovechild from from DAY 1.... don't make me go find the post. I hope he sticks with the big club and shoots lasers from his eyes.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins