Nisky is not OK. Update: 2-4 weeks

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Nisky is not OK. Update: 2-4 weeks

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:18 pm

Why is Tuzzo considered some savior? Everyone is clamoring for him. Have we really given up on Despres that fast?
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:21 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:Why is Tuzzo considered some savior? Everyone is clamoring for him. Have we really given up on Despres that fast?

Despres is more fit to play in the Top 6. But with Niskanen out, there is no reason Bortuzzo shouldn't be in the bottom pairing. Playing Reverend Lovejoy over him is a joke.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:22 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:Why is Tuzzo considered some savior? Everyone is clamoring for him. Have we really given up on Despres that fast?

Because he's not playing and thus has made fewer mistakes than the other stiffs.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:24 pm

Didn't you see him play those 10 minutes a game last year. He's way more than NHL ready.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:24 pm

Gaucho wrote:

Because he's not playing and thus has made fewer mistakes than the other stiffs.

Because everyone we could've had and isn't playing is the greatest player to play that position. Ever.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:25 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:

Didn't you see him play those 10 minutes a game last year. He's way more than NHL ready.

This isn't the only place I've seem the over the top calling for Burtuzzo. I don't get why there's such an infatuation with rookies having to play great right at the start or their career is demolished forever.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:32 pm

Remember when Ryan Whitney dominated the AHL? Good times.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:33 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

This isn't the only place I've seem the over the top calling for Burtuzzo. I don't get why there's such an infatuation with rookies having to play great right at the start or their career is demolished forever.

it has more to do with WBS than anything. one guy was supposedly the defensive MVP over the last year+, the other guy was often a healthy scratch.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Three Stars on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:34 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby, Malkin, Staal. It tends to skew one's perspective on the normal development curve. Either that or people are just whiny and impatient.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:36 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

I think the issue is not playing Bortuzzo over Lovejoy. Prefect situation for Despres to step in and prove himself playing 18+ minutes tonight. if he's going to be limited to 8 or so minutes and even be scratched there's no reason for him to not be getting 20+ minutes in WBS unless they are already looking to Dumoulin, Morrow, Samuelsson and a vet like Eaton, Mormina or Reese to eat up top 4 minutes.

Bortuzzo goes from 20+ top pairing in WBS to nothing now. That's a problem.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:36 pm

Three Stars wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby, Malkin, Staal. It tends to skew one's perspective on the normal development curve. Either that or people are just whiny and impatient.

I agree with that perspective as well. I guess I just look at it as not being able to get a homerun pick every single year. That being said, Despres isn't even bad. He's a rookie, this is what you get 90% of the time with rookies.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:38 pm

Wouldn't be surprised to see 7 D tonight. If I'd be delighted is another story.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:57 pm

Penspal wrote:
penny lane wrote:despres as a kiss love child adds an exciting layer to his personality!

I said he was Stanley Eisen's lovechild from from DAY 1.... don't make me go find the post. I hope he sticks with the big club and shoots lasers from his eyes.

Was this a hunch on your part, or did you actually go back and do the research?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:02 pm

Also, I keep reading this thread as "Nizzy is not ok" and half expect to see

ORLY
ORLY
ORLY
splinter
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:04 pm

Three Stars wrote:...people Pens fans are just whiny and impatient.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:15 pm

It's funny how everyone hated Niskanen after the trade. Now, can't live without him. How the times change.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:34 pm

I've been busy for much of the start of the season, but I thought Engelland has looked pretty solid for the most part.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Nisky is OK. Update: 2-4 weeks

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:36 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
Froggy wrote:Image

STARCHILD!

GM's I hear you callin', but I can't trade him right now

He and Letang will be playin' and I'll need a wing and a 1st round.

Just a few more games, and I'll get right back to you

GMs I hear you callin' - Rossi what can I do

Rossi what can I do.

THIS is amazing. As a KISS fan, I appreciate some vintage Peter Criss and a little Starchild.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:38 pm

DePaoli just tweeted there is talk Nisky is out closer to 3-6 weeks. Yikes.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:41 pm

But Dax Shepherd is my favorite player :cry:
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:56 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

I don't understand people. I usually have people telling me that i'm dead wrong when I believe that there is no reason not to throw someone into the lineup no matter how young they are. I don't think its gonna hurt someone who has the mental capacity to make it. Then I see something like this where people are demanding someone who has virtually no NHL experience and they want them thrust into a lineup when there are proven players ahead of them. Not saying its the same people, but there has to be an overlap.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BCG51585 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:00 pm

Bortuzzo not being inserted into the lineup could also have to do with how he would fit in with the current healthy players. Remember he would have to play on the LEFT SIDE of any pairing he is part of. If he isn't comfortable doing that (yet) AND he is at the same time very inexperienced at the NHL level, I see them playing him as potentially setting themselves up for failure and setting him up for failure. Despres isn't Lidstrom in his prime, but he does have more NHL experience than Bortuzzo and is a left shot on the left side. (therefore at this point Despres > Bortuzzo)

I like Bortuzzo ALOT but I would rather he play out of design, not necessity. If not for a shortened season I would say go for it, but not when every point is so precious.
BCG51585
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:04 pm

DelPen wrote:DePaoli just tweeted there is talk Nisky is out closer to 3-6 weeks. Yikes.

The Trib needs a fact checker, or the Pens really rushed to an unfounded report last night - because it clearly stated "day to day", but not serious. I guess they could say that no surgery or break equals "not serious" but three to six weeks seems like high ankle and that IS serious, especially in a shortened season.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:13 pm

DePaoli isn't the most legitimate source, either.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dan H on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:14 pm

Thread title might be "Nisky's ankle meat..."
Dan H
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins