Game 6 vs. NY Islanders - Thoughts from the morning after

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 6 vs. NY Islanders - Thoughts from the morning afte

Postby Penspal on Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:31 pm

My afternoon thoughts from the day after.

I will give the Isles some credit. They capitalized on their chances. They also stayed away from the cheap stuff, which might have lit a spark under a few Pens.

Here's an idea, and its not original at all. We've seen the Pens play sloppy hockey, but so have the opposition on 3 out of the 5 games so far. A few teams around the league are putting alll the mojo on one line.... The Rangers, Sharks to name two. IF THINGS DO NOT IMPROVE SOON, then I'd like to see the HYDRA appear, Malkin, Sid, Neal for a few full games.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DesertPenguin on Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:36 pm

Step back from the ledge dear friends. It will be OK. 48 games is still a long season.

- Orpik and Martin look good after sub par seasons.

- Flower and Vokoun are solid

- Niskanen was looking good in the top 4 until he got hurt, and will look good when he returns.

- In the mean time, Despres looked good there last night. I look at this as a blessing in disguise to let the young guys play and get experience, sort of like when Gonch got hurt and Gogo got his shot for half a season

- Sid, Geno and Neal are still Sid Geno and Neal. They are too good not to figure it out.

- Sutter is as good as advertized

I could go on, but the point is, my big question marks coming into the season: replacing Staal, the play of Martin and Orpik, goaltending, Niskanen in an increased role, all these are looking good. The rest of the team, we have seen that they can do it. Its a slump, and they will work it out.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:52 pm

This isn't a slump. This is how this team plays when it's talent isn't performing at 100%. They have been playing like this when everyone is healthy for 2+ years now but it's masked by great individual efforts a lot of the time.

The execution on the ice was actually better when Crosby and Malkin were hurt because they did the basics. He can't or won't get this roster playing systematic hockey. That's a recipe for failure in the NHL today.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:56 pm

DelPen wrote:This isn't a slump. This is how this team plays when it's talent isn't performing at 100%. They have been playing like this when everyone is healthy for 2+ years now but it's masked by great individual efforts a lot of the time.

The execution on the ice was actually better when Crosby and Malkin were hurt because they did the basics. He can't or won't get this roster playing systematic hockey. That's a recipe for failure in the NHL today.

Then, by your last sentence, Sid and/or Geno are the problems. If the team can get back to basics when they are out, but can't when they are in...
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:07 pm

Today's lines in practice...

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Jeffrey - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Glass
Adams - Vitale - Kennedy

And the PP was...

Kunitz - Crosby - Neal
Letang - Malkin
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:23 pm

Now that I have had a moment to think about it, I think the Isles are actually just that good. Watch their power play. 100% efficient and every man on it knows what their role is supposed to be. Same thing with their PK.
Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:32 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
DelPen wrote:This isn't a slump. This is how this team plays when it's talent isn't performing at 100%. They have been playing like this when everyone is healthy for 2+ years now but it's masked by great individual efforts a lot of the time.

Then, by your last sentence, Sid and/or Geno are the problems. If the team can get back to basics when they are out, but can't when they are in...

They did when Bill Guerin and Hal Gill were in the locker room.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sniper on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:35 pm

Alejandro Rojas wrote:Now that I have had a moment to think about it, I think the Isles are actually just that good. Watch their power play. 100% efficient and every man on it knows what their role is supposed to be. Same thing with their PK.

Well coached perhaps, but how many of the penguins players would you trade for an islander playing at the same position in the lineup. Meaning how often would you choose the Islanders 1st line center over the penguins 1st line center or the islanders 3rd line lw over the penguins or the islanders 3rd or 4th d-man over the penguins 3rd or 4th d-man? I bet if you went through each team and came up with one team taking the best player from their current position in the lineup, they'd be mostly penguins. Looking at their lineup man for man, where is the islander advantage in talent? You can do the same thing with Winnipeg and Toronto.

If that's the case there is no reason the penguins should lose to that team when both teams are giving 100%. That means the Pens aren't giving 100%, aren't giving a 100% smartly, or a combination of the two.

They simply aren't working hard enough or smart enough. That's on both the players and the coaches. Bylsma's got to take some blame, but I put the bulk of it on the players. It's very obvious they aren't working hard enough. Far too many guys just coasting around. Watching Sid especially play last night was embarrassing.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:43 pm

sometimes when a goalie has your number~ that is it. See Mario against Patrick Roy. Freely admit to missing this stat before the pens game.

Dave Molinari ‏@MolinariPG
Evgeni Nabokov is poised to raise his career record against Penguins to 10-2, and has a very real shot at his third shutout against them

8-) :wink: :P

Dave Molinari ‏@MolinariPG
At the rate they've been going lately, Penguins might finish the season with more record crowds than power-play goals.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Steve Dave on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:19 pm

Isles sign Strait to a 3 year extension, $775k per, one way.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins