Waivers

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Waivers

Postby Steve Dave on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:43 pm

Cam Janssen (NJ) and Zach Bouchuk (Car) on waivers. Anyone think Shero will be tempted to shake up the roster a bit?
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Waivers

Postby ffemtreed on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:47 pm

Janssen would be a good fit with Glass and Vitale on the 4th line.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby joopen on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:54 pm

ffemtreed wrote:Janssen would be a good fit with GlassKennedy :face: and Vitale on the 4th line.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hawkeynut on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:56 pm

There are better ways to "shake" your roster. Neither of these cast-offs are going to light any fires on this team.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bowser on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:57 pm

This team doesn't need a fighter, they need less ham and eggers... they need speed, skill and desire.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:01 pm

Janssen does seem like a move Shero would do to stop the bleeding
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thepittman on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:02 pm

joopen wrote:
ffemtreed wrote:Janssen would be a good fit with GlassKennedy :face: and Vitale on the 4th line.

Kennedy has been the best player on the team this season.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby joopen on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:09 pm

thepittman wrote:
joopen wrote:

Kennedy has been the best player on the team this season.

He's actively on the 4th line now #bylsmalogic
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:11 pm

Boychuck would be intriguing but rather uneccessary with Jeffrey already ont he roster and not used. Nisky would need to go on the IR to add anyone anyways.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby saints11 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:15 pm

If you like watching Roller Derby. He clearly frustrates Sid, Geno, and HCDB. TK's a 3rd liner at best.
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby joopen on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:20 pm

saints11 wrote:If you like watching Roller Derby. He clearly frustrates Sid, Geno, and HCDB. TK's a 3rd liner at best.

He's a good third liner and quite obviously the key to our 3rd line's success. Lets move him to the LW and to Malkin's line... That will use his skillset best. #bylsmalogic

Oops, he made a mistake because he is playing out of position and overthinking things. Demote him to the 4th line so we can keep our 3rd line a mess. #bylsmalogic
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ffemtreed on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:00 pm

Bowser wrote:This team doesn't need a fighter, they need less ham and eggers... they need speed, skill and desire.

I like Janssen because he has shown he can cycle down low and play physical.

If I were in charge, that would be my first move, second would be to send Cooke and one of our bluechip D prospects for a young third line winger.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby westside on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:36 pm

ffemtreed wrote:
Bowser wrote:This team doesn't need a fighter, they need less ham and eggers... they need speed, skill and desire.

If I were in charge, that would be my first move, second would be to send Cooke and one of our bluechip D prospects for a young third line winger.

Sorry, I guess I don't get it? Send Cooke (a 3rd line winger) AND a bluechip D for... a 3rd line winger? Is there a joke I'm missing?
westside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meow on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:37 pm

westside wrote:
ffemtreed wrote:

Sorry, I guess I don't get it? Send Cooke (a 3rd line winger) AND a bluechip D for... a 3rd line winger? Is there a joke I'm missing?

Thank God he's not in charge...
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:42 pm

meow wrote:
westside wrote:
ffemtreed wrote:

Thank God he's not in charge...

What would his 2nd move be??
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ffemtreed on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:36 pm

westside wrote:
ffemtreed wrote:

The problem is cooke isn't playing like a 3rd line wingers, He is a shell of his old self. He is slow, is very inconsistant on the score sheet, doesn't really hit people anymore other than the 1 or 2 big hits. My trade is for getting someone who can consistanty hit and forecheck and keep the puck in the zone. To me cooke is dead weight on this team right now.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:59 pm

Shaking things up would not be claiming fringe NHLers off waivers to send down the best d-man on the team this year in Despres (or waive someone I guess). That just adds another tire to the fire...neither player would be helpful to us...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby saints11 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:56 pm

Our best third line wing continues to have to play on the first line with Sid and Kunitz. Get natural top 6 wingers and Duper would light it up on the 3rd line.
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:07 pm

saints11 wrote:Our best third line wing continues to have to play on the first line with Sid and Kunitz. Get natural top 6 wingers and Duper would light it up on the 3rd line.

Duper is a natural 3rd liner, but he proved he can be a top line guy when he played with Sid and Hossa, of course he was in that defeinsive mode on that line but very servicable. To bad we couldn't find a standout winger for Sid, (like a Kessel, not him but like him or even a Corry Perry. bobby ryan??) Duper would fit perfect back in that roll. Allowing you to put Kunitz on the Neal Malkin line where he belongs.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby NJ5934 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:40 am

mikey287 wrote:Shaking things up would not be claiming fringe NHLers off waivers to send down the best d-man on the team this year in Despres (or waive someone I guess). That just adds another tire to the fire...neither player would be helpful to us...

Janssen is hardly a fringe guy. He's actually an ideal 4th liner. Quick, big, big hitter and fearless fighter. I would rather have him playing alongside Adams and Vitale than Jeffrey or Tangradi. While I would agree Janssen is hardly the answer to all our woes, I think he would bring A LOT of energy to a lineup desperately lacking it.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby joopen on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:43 am

NJ5934 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Shaking things up would not be claiming fringe NHLers off waivers to send down the best d-man on the team this year in Despres (or waive someone I guess). That just adds another tire to the fire...neither player would be helpful to us...

Janssen is hardly a fringe guy. He's actually an ideal 4th liner. Quick, big, big hitter and fearless fighter. I would rather have him playing alongside Adams and Vitale than Jeffrey or Tangradi. While I would agree Janssen is hardly the answer to all our woes, I think he would bring A LOT of energy to a lineup desperately lacking it.

Bylsma would probably play him on te 2nd line. #bylsmalogic
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:59 am

In NHL 13 Be a GM mode, I'm GM of Pit and Florida offered a trade of Ed Jovanovski for a 2013 3rd rd pick and 2014 3rd rd pick, I accepted the offer since ironically Niskanen is hurt in my game as well. Maybe the game knows something I don't lol
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:49 am

NJ5934 wrote:

For an ideal 4th liner, he sure gets scratched and waived a bit more than you'd expect. He's not particularly big, he's not quick, he does fight, I'll give you that, he also takes horrible penalties and is distracted by his own antics on the ice - rarely interested in defending or the puck...so I gotta disagree that he's anything but a fringe NHLer and he's not an ideal anything really...that's why he has trouble keeping a regular spot in the lineup...are you sure you got the right guy?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NJ5934 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:02 am

mikey287 wrote:
NJ5934 wrote:

For an ideal 4th liner, he sure gets scratched and waived a bit more than you'd expect. He's not particularly big, he's not quick, he does fight, I'll give you that, he also takes horrible penalties and is distracted by his own antics on the ice - rarely interested in defending or the puck...so I gotta disagree that he's anything but a fringe NHLer and he's not an ideal anything really...that's why he has trouble keeping a regular spot in the lineup...are you sure you got the right guy?

I'm not saying he's ideal here, but he has a lot of what this team is lacking and it would cost nothing to add him. He is quick, I've watched him play when he was in Jersey. We aren't talking about Eric Godard here. And despite his size, he plays big. He's a big hitter which I'd rather have than another fighter. He's only 28 and he's been a regular in the NHL since 05. 48 games a season on average isn't unusual given the enforcer role he's typically played.

I thought what this team lacked last year and the year previous was a presence. Steve Ott comes to mind. A guy that can get really nasty, can generate energy, change the game. Maybe Cooke played that role in the past but right now we have nothing. Nothing.

It comes down to identity and right now this team doesn't have a good one. If anything, it now seems spoiled, spoiled with talent and spoiled by success in the past. I would have thought the playoffs last season would have been a wake up, but clearly it wasn't. This team was the most dominant when it dominated the physical play, particularly in the attack end. The guys that led the way, Cooke, Adams, Kunitz even Dupuis seem slow now. It's like the game plan changed. This team used to force turnovers by using it's speed to punish opposing blueliners. Now it seems these guys are trapping the puck and then sacrificing themselves physically to dump and keep the cycle going. We had to have been the most hit team in the league the past two seasons and I'm not just talking about concussions.

Something has to change. This team desperately lacks a presence, an identity. Whether it's a veteran or a couple replacements in the energy department, something has to change. I think in general this team, particularly the lineup this season, is overrated a bit, there is still no reason teams like the Leafs, Sens and Isles should be completely dominating them.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ffemtreed on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:58 pm

mikey287 wrote:
NJ5934 wrote:

I had the same impression as NJ5934 and i think it comes from never watching the Devils play unless its against the Pens. It always seems when playing the pens Janssen is a beast, he is constantly banging our D man into the boards, making them rush the play, beating our forwards to loose pucks and winning the battles along the boards.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins