4 Points

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

4 Points

Postby bwyant32 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:48 pm

First off I'm not jumping off the bridge, Sid is still a world class talent. I'm gonna make 4 points:

1) Can a team hurt itself by actually having too much skill on the ice? I mean if there were nightly skill competitions, I don't think a team in the league could compete. This is effecting our PP because they are looking for what seems to be the perfect shot.

2) All this talk of finding a winger for Malkin.....Chris Kunitz. Why not rejoin that line last year that was so successful? Kunitz-Malkin-Neal and shift focus to finding someone for Sid.

3) Wheres the fire? I was waiting for something, someone to get into someone's face after Lovejoy was boarded. It wasn't all that dirty but still its a major penalty, show some passion.

4) Is it time to pull Sid off the #1 PP unit? Once again this goes back to my too much skill on the ice comment. Not looking at the numbers last night but it seems that sid has struggled at winning that initial draw of a power play? I'd be interested in seeing that stat. Why not align like this:

Unit 1
Net front guy - Kunitz
left of net Malkin
right side Neal
QB Letang
Other point Nisky

Unit 2
Net Front Sutter
left side Crosby
right side Kennedy
QB Martin
Other Point Despres or a rotation of Nisky and Letang

Just random thoughts, I think this teams a spark of some sorts
bwyant32
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: 4 Points

Postby CERV96 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:04 pm

Good luck trying to tell Geno or Sid that their power play time is going to get cut. The best time to split the power play in two was last night during the 5 minute powerplay. Other than that you have to have your best 5 players out there for the large durastion of the powerplay. This is where it falls on coaching. 29 other teams would not even consider this and kill for that opportunity. They would find a way to make it work. As far as the half wall fight everyone likes to complain about. Can anyone ever tell me when was the last time Crosby or Malkin have ever scored from that position?

I personally would stick your best sniper there over the past 1.5 seasons there that would be Neal. Put Geno as a rover and Crosby below the goal line/in front of the net. Have Letang and Martin(yes I said that) up top. Martin made a living in New Jersey getting the puck in the offensive zone which is where Letang has been currently struggling with.
Last edited by CERV96 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby bwyant32 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:05 pm

CERV96 wrote:Good luck trying to tell Geno or Sid that their power play time is going to get cut. The best time to split the power play in two was last night during the 5 minute powerplay. Other than that you have to have your best 5 players out there for the large durastion of the powerplay. This is where it falls on coaching. 29 other teams would not even consider this and kill for that opportunity. They would find a way to make it work. As far as the half wall fight everyone likes to complain about. Can anyone ever tell me when was the last time Crosby or Malkin have ever scored from that position?

I personally would stick your best sniper there over the past 1.5 seasons there that would be Neal. Put Geno on the point and Crosby below the goal line. Have Letang and Martin(yes I said that) up top. Martin made a living in New Jersey getting the puck in the offensive zone which is where Letang has been currently struggling with.

That makes sense. I hate the idea of 4 forwards, especially when Kunitz really isn't producing right now.
bwyant32
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby k0la on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:35 am

CERV96 wrote:Good luck trying to tell Geno or Sid that their power play time is going to get cut. The best time to split the power play in two was last night during the 5 minute powerplay. Other than that you have to have your best 5 players out there for the large durastion of the powerplay. This is where it falls on coaching. 29 other teams would not even consider this and kill for that opportunity. They would find a way to make it work. As far as the half wall fight everyone likes to complain about. Can anyone ever tell me when was the last time Crosby or Malkin have ever scored from that position?

I personally would stick your best sniper there over the past 1.5 seasons there that would be Neal. Put Geno as a rover and Crosby below the goal line/in front of the net. Have Letang and Martin(yes I said that) up top. Martin made a living in New Jersey getting the puck in the offensive zone which is where Letang has been currently struggling with.

Pre concussion Sid would have been in front of the net doing some of his sick redirects. Don't think management wants him to do that anymore. So instead we get Malkin, Crosby and Neal all trying to find space for a one timer at the same time and making too many passes.
k0la
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Scott on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:51 am

I don't think the main problem right now is who and where with the players we have.

I think it is the current mental state being the problem. A pp of Lemieux, Gretzky, Coffey, Hull, Orr could be terrible if all of the players don't really care!!!

A man advantage still requires effort.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby headh on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:58 am

Scott wrote:I don't think the main problem right now is who and where with the players we have.

I think it is the current mental state being the problem. A pp of Lemieux, Gretzky, Coffey, Hull, Orr could be terrible if all of the players don't really care!!!

A man advantage still requires effort.

Madden made a great point....the only emotion this team shows is frustration.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins